Author Topic: Career Transition Business Targeting Teachers-Feedback Welcome!  (Read 1214 times)

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
I was a public school teacher for many years before transitioning into industry. I recently watched a news piece on Vice regarding the mass exodus of public school teachers due to lack of pay, frustration with the profession, ridiculous requirements, etc. While I hate the fact public education has gotten to this point, I feel like I could really help teachers make the jump into other professions.

I've always been able to land jobs I wasn't "technically" qualified for. I've met a bunch of teachers who've told me they were worried no one would hire them because they didn't have any experience in anything other than running a classroom.

My thought is this: A general site/blog/community that is 100% free to users. Good articles and info on navigating career transition, interviewing, managing an online presence, social media, etc.

Paid content would be online courses for teachers who want to dig deeper and follow a specific path---------> Teacher to Technical Writer.....that kind of thing.

I love to hear feedback on this idea, pros and cons.

I have the technical chops to create the content and I really do have a soft spot in my heart for teachers!

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Career Transition Business Targeting Teachers-Feedback Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »
Spending hours and hours to create quality teaching content that people are actually willing to pay for would be the biggest investment and would need many takers to be worth it. There is a huge bulk of free learning material out there and it will be hard to compete.

An easier way to generate money is to market other people's products. Things like boot camps are great for career changes. Also you could put job adds on your site that you think are appropriate.

I would keep the material you develop free and get people to contribute for free. (they are all teachers after all). The hardest part is getting people to come to your site and keep coming back. Generic advice it abundantly available, so you should find things that teachers would specifically be interested in. Maybe you could detail your personal journey and write about how you got the jobs that you did.

For implementation I can really recommend Wordpress (hosting it yourself ofcourse). It will save you a lot of time and looks pretty good with the right theme.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Career Transition Business Targeting Teachers-Feedback Welcome!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 02:55:20 PM »
It may be because I'm thinking about launching my own, but I'm really big on online courses lately. You can put together good content, share some for free, put the rest in an online course, and charge $29-599 or more depending on how much people think its worth. Even more income if you would consider phone/skype individual coaching (or group coaching).

- Turn your teaching skills into the income you deserve!
- Get paid to teach to people who want to learn!
- Frustrated with students who don't care, administration that makes life harder, and pay that's lower than fields that don't require a college degree? I'll help you transition to new jobs with more freedom and better pay!

Many podcasts out there on starting an online course: Phil Ebiner has one; Jacques Hopkins has one; of course Pat Flynn has one....