Author Topic: Bookkeeping and invoicing recommendations  (Read 1677 times)

MEJG

• Bristles
Bookkeeping and invoicing recommendations
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »
I'm starting a service based business 2nd quarter 2018.  I have never done any book keeping prior so simplicity or at least excellent instructions and customer care is a must.

I'll need to invoice multiple (at least 20+) clients per year.  I will need both digital and physical invoicing.
I do not need CC payments, checks or direct deposit only.
I do not need a program or service that helps with sales or marketing.
I need to track business expenses (will have dedicated business bank accounts and a CC).
I need to be able to share info with my accountant for quarterly taxes and year end.
I'd prefer one time purchase OR obviously very low fee.

Recommendations? I've read a little bit about Wave, I've also played with the idea of quickbooks and then just making my own invoice template on word.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bookkeeping and invoicing recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 08:29:13 AM »
If you like your accountant, I would see if he or she has a preference.

Failing that, Quickbooks would probably work.  It is somewhat annoying but easy to use.  You may need to upgrade every 3 years to keep certain services active (ie pulling data from your bank, etc).

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »
We use Quickbooks. It is effective and we use it similarly to the stuff you need.

CareCPA

• Bristles
    • Care CPA - Tax, Accounting and Payroll
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
QBO and Xero are always recommended. Wave is free (but I have no experience with it so cannot recommend for or against).

Are you sure you're doing enough volume to learn a software? Maybe you could get away with Excel templates for invoices, and an Excel sheet for financials...

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
QBO and Xero are always recommended. Wave is free (but I have no experience with it so cannot recommend for or against).

Are you sure you're doing enough volume to learn a software? Maybe you could get away with Excel templates for invoices, and an Excel sheet for financials...

My accountant says he likes quickbooks. I’ll probaly send some time wading through brought the different versions.

No I’m not sure that my volume will warrant real software but I am the type of person that prefers to set things up fully before starting so I doing my investigating now.