Author Topic: Becoming a biller  (Read 1676 times)

iliketocode

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Becoming a biller
« on: December 11, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
Does anyone do this?  For example, you handle the insurrance claims for a massage therapist.  Basically, you do the boring and tedious work of trying to get the money out of the insurrance company so that the professional that you are servicing can focus on their job.

How did you get started?  What software do you use?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: Becoming a biller
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 09:21:01 AM »
There are a ton of resources, classes, and even degree programs for this. The more common phrase is “medical billing” — you may have more luck if you search for those terms.

iliketocode

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »
Yes!  I’m interested in doing this at home.  Basically, I want to do this during the weekend.  But, how can I advertise myself to those that need this or find potential clients?  Also, how does the day-to-day look like for most billers?

I’m guessing tha Craigslist and NextDoor might be a good place to look for potential leads.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 10:48:11 AM by iliketocode »

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
Do you have any experience doing this? You might have a hard time getting clients without any experience. Other than that I would start with talking to different places who provide medical billing services and learn about their processes and also talk with the people who use these services (your example of a massage therapist) and see where their pain points are regarding billing.

As far as the business side of things to think of:
What kind of insurance would you need?
What would your fee structure be?
How would you get the required information from the client to be able to bill insurance and customers? (ie visit type, correct visit code, patient and insurance information)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!