Author Topic: Affordable quality 2nd phone line  (Read 2932 times)

jedithunder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Affordable quality 2nd phone line
« on: March 22, 2018, 11:28:22 AM »

I  would like to have a second 2nd phone number (outside of my private cell phone line) that I place on my business website that I can answer on my cell phone.

I am considering using the app sideline as an option.

does anyone have any luck with this or have other options that they would recommend?

khizr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Affordable quality 2nd phone line
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
I use grasshopper and love it!

jedithunder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 12:04:44 PM »
 I am not at grasshopper level yet.
But thank you

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
One option would be to have a real second phone number and use a phone that supports dual sim cards. These are fairly common.

Then, you could find a low cost cell plan for the second number. If demand increases for the second line, you can always port the number to another service.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »
Google Voice?

I currently have three phone numbers that can ring my phone.  The only downside is there doesn't seem to be a obvious way to indicate which line is being called.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 02:29:31 PM »
I also use Google Voice.  It works well.  The only issue is if you're on the edge of a wifi area.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
Google voice does text, call, voicemail. It’s free.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »
What about a pay as you go provider?  Ting and the like are pretty cheap.  You can get a phone for $20 at dollar general.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 02:10:22 PM »
Google Voice?

I currently have three phone numbers that can ring my phone.  The only downside is there doesn't seem to be a obvious way to indicate which line is being called.
You can have GV call your forwarding phones with the GV number in the CallerID (but then you don't see the CallerID of the caller without going to GV to check the call records). I wish GV would let you set this per forwarding phone (I use it to know when personal calls are being forwarded to my desk, but would rather see who's calling on my mobile). One problem for GV as a business phone is that your customers will usually hear one ring (sometimes two) before your phone rings - you'll never be perceived as quick to pick up a call.

GV will not allow multiple accounts to forward to the same mobile phone. I've worked around this when DW and I only had one working mobile between the two of us by labeling that number as a home number in both our accounts - but then you can't forward texts. I don't believe GV allows multiple voice accounts per person, but I have know some people to set one up per side gig anyway.

jedithunder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 09:16:52 AM »
Thank you everyone,

Do I need to be near wi-fi for this to work?

You guys just saved me so much money THANK YOU!!!!!

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »
You don't need to be near wifi, but you need data.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
You don't need to have data to receive GV calls and texts on your mobile - GV will forward these to your mobile number as calls and texts. Texts will come in from a different number than then sender's actual number (the senders number or name from your Google contacts is added to the message body) - you can text back (or call) this number from your mobile to automatically route through GV and have your GV number be displayed to the recipient.

To place a call to a number that has not texted you through GV, you either need data or you need to call your GV number and place the call through the voice menu system. Data is required if you wish to text someone who has not yet texted you through GV.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »
You don't need to have data to receive GV calls and texts on your mobile - GV will forward these to your mobile number as calls and texts. Texts will come in from a different number than then sender's actual number (the senders number or name from your Google contacts is added to the message body) - you can text back (or call) this number from your mobile to automatically route through GV and have your GV number be displayed to the recipient.

To place a call to a number that has not texted you through GV, you either need data or you need to call your GV number and place the call through the voice menu system. Data is required if you wish to text someone who has not yet texted you through GV.
Good info.
Thank-you.

scoobastew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Credit Marketplace
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »
I use GoDaddy's phone service called SmartLine. It does cost money, but I think it's only $4 per month. Plus, it uses your existing cell phone service, eliminating the need for wifi.