Author Topic: A side gig found me  (Read 2227 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
A side gig found me
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »
I'm a user / fan of the neighborhood centric social media (web, apps) 'NextDoor'.
I've used it to find low cost home services (gutter cleaning, tree trimming, drywall work) have sold a few small things and gave away a space heater I 'found' in the corner of my garage.

A lady posted on there that she couldn't find anyone local to fix her table lamp.  The first two recommendations that she got turned out to not do repairs any longer.
I messaged her that I could probably fix it for her if she'd pay for any parts.  I worked in technical fields for 35 yrs and know my way around a multimeter.  She insisted that I accept some payment for my time.
It turned out that a connection at the switch was bad - 15 minutes and no part required.  I asked for $3, she paid me $10, and praised me on NextDoor (after asking for my permission).   

I've since repaired 2 other lamps and have messages about 3 more.
I'm making $15-$20/hr.    I like the feeling of helping people more than the $, but the discretional pocket money is nice too.

iliketocode

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: A side gig found me
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »
That’s a very green thing to do.  If you fix stuff, then it won’t end up in a landfill.  You did a good thing by fixing that lamp.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: A side gig found me
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »
Very cool :)   Especially about being able to help people, yes! But the money is sweet, too.

I kept breaking lamps and desperately wanted to fix them (and tried to, posting a thread here, using Youtube, etc) but no luck. So I also totally get the need for your service!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!