Author Topic: 10 Years In - Now Trapped  (Read 11357 times)

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
10 Years In - Now Trapped
« on: February 06, 2019, 01:02:43 PM »
Hey everyone, hoping for some advice from someone who's supposedly "made it"

This year marks my 10th year in business. Starting from very humble beginnings in our back bedroom, I worked from a laptop and a phone building our business. Today we are a team of 35 plus an off shore network of about the same. Home paid off, I'd say FI (but a OMYer) and a business worth $2m (my share is half). Business is booming but the challenges of running a business of this size, plus being a member of the FI community, has me wanting out. In the past year we've had 2 potential purchases, one almost across the line and the other stopped early in negotiations as the purchasers want me to stay on for the long term. This was the deal breaker. As a result I'm a year further down the line with no plans to sell as the process is far too draining.

For those starting out in business, the stress you feel during start up is matched and more when trying to sell and run the business at the same time. The past year has drained me and we have 70 families that depend on the business for their own lives. I know this shouldn't be my main focus of concern, but it is. One of our team is moving to a new job and it struck me that I am literally trapped in my own business. I couldn't leave if I wanted. Or I could but it would risk a very sizeable pot.

Now before you get all teary eyed for me, we spend a month abroad each year, we have multiple holidays on top of this each year and I'd say our best experiences are the times we spend as a family. My daughter is 3. Life is good.

My questions are for those who've sold businesses they built from the ground up. How did you get out? How did you make yourself "not the oracle"?
How did you manage the process of selling and running a business. How did you disassociate your identity as the business owner after selling?

Sorry fo the pity party guys. Being the boss is a lonely place to be.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
Re: 10 Years In - Now Trapped
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
While waiting for the expert commenters (I'm just a schmuck with a hobby of business-related reading):
1. Good luck!
2. I've read books/articles who agree the issues you're looking at are key.
3. Specifically, if you don't want to keep working there, you get a better price if you've trained everyone so that you're not needed any more. Buyers usually prefer a turnkey purchase.

Ideas:
a. make sure the leaders who will be in charge if the business basically runs itself have the knowledge needed to lead
b. give them decision practice intentionally.
c. practice probably means advising less, staying calm while they make mistakes
d. maybe let them make all decisions for a year, but just tell you each week the decisions they sweated over and why they made them?

Questions:
Is your partner on board with selling too, or will they stay?

Are you the Big Boss while the other partner is silent?

You've probably seen stuff like this, but would the discipline of following checklists like these help?

https://www.intouch-marketing.com/blog/how-to-prepare-your-business-for-sale-and-get-top-dollar/

https://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY-Preparing-your-private-business-for-sale/$FILE/EY-Preparing-your-private-business-for-sale.pdf
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:41:31 AM by BicycleB »

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 08:38:26 PM »
Oh boy can I relate!! I started my business 8 years ago as a solo entrepreuneur. Nowhere near your size currently but we have 7 FT employees. I feel so trapped. I don't know how anyone gets out. We have 1.7 years remaining on our commercial lease. If I'm able to sell the business before this time then I will be FI. However, I expect that any potential buyer would expect me to stay on as well. If I don't sell the business--I will have to figure out how to close up shop and will walk away with nothing other than the money earned from our years in business. We haven't received any offers yet, but we did have one potential buyer fly out...which made me think this was serious. He told me to get a lawyer who specializes in the sale of healthcare businesses and that he would send out the proposal by the end of the week. I put down $3k on a retainer for a lawyer and notified the accountant. No proposal ever came. Everything about owning a business sucks. Sorry I can't offer advice, but I get it. I am looking forward to that weight that feels like a permanent part of my being being lifted one day and how that might feel.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:42:14 PM by nara »

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:54:27 PM »
Thank you for your messages, really good advice all round. I've put some notes below and its a great exercise for outside looking in review. Thanks

Ideas:
a. make sure the leaders who will be in charge if the business basically runs itself have the knowledge needed to lead
b. give them decision practice intentionally.
c. practice probably means advising less, staying calm while they make mistakes
d. maybe let them make all decisions for a year, but just tell you each week the decisions they sweated over and why they made them?

These things are what I'd call in motion. Staff changes recently means we're all back in fight mode trying to keep on track for our ambitious targets

Questions:
Is your partner on board with selling too, or will they stay? He's happy to sell too, but any new purchaser wants continuity of work

Are you the Big Boss while the other partner is silent?50/50 share and workload, I founded the company solely

You've probably seen stuff like this, but would the discipline of following checklists like these help?Yeah I'm pretty organised with checklists and reminders

I feel so trapped. I don't know how anyone gets out.

This, our business is profitable, well known for its reputation, but the process of removing myself from the business is extremely daunting. We've been going down this process for 2 years.

Thanks for all your messages :)

skiersailor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »
Do you have any employees who are qualified to run the business without you and who you think would be responsible and motivated owners?  If so, you might consider selling the business to them.  If they don't have capital to invest, you could finance the sale with the future earnings of the company - although that would involve additional risk.

For example, you might grant them stock in lieu of bonuses, and eventually the company would buy your shares with cash and/or debt.  Rather than being an owner, you would then be a creditor with a payout over time.  You could stipulate that as long as the debt is outstanding you remain on the board of directors so you retain some control over operations, the hiring/firing of management, management compensation and shareholder distributions.

An ESOP can work similarly, and may have additional tax advantages.  ESOPs have ongoing administrative costs and require the involvement of a trustee.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 12:03:00 PM by skiersailor »

mall0c

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
I sold a few years ago and will be wrapping up my retention period and retiring later this year. Unless you have a buyer that is effectively acquiring your customer portfolio, I can't imagine another circumstance where they won't want you to stay on. Put yourself in the buyers position, under what circumstances would you acquire a business that someone else has built without requiring them to stay to help make the transition into your hands? I have never heard of less than a three-year commitment and four years seems to be the standard. Except, as I said, in cases where the buyer has no interest in the assets being acquired but just wants the customers. My advice is to just take a deal with a retention holdback, negotiate as much as you can up-front, and try to enjoy the transition period as much as you can. Your could try to find a deal where you are happy with 80% of the purchase price and negotiate that amount into the first two years, then walk away from the final 20%. Mine was structured as:

Closing: 40%
Year 1: 60%
Y2: 80%
Y3: 100%

Have you considered selling to your employees?

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 03:10:32 PM »
I am also 10 years in to business ownership an 3 years ago felt much as you do. Very burned out (but less successful).

I have been spending the past few years pulling myself out of the operation so it can run without me. This has required hiring, setting up processes and even changing what we offer.

It's a slow process and I am still not out and the business is not yet sellable. But I am enjoying it a lot more and no longer feel stuck. I found some of these books helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Built-Sell-Creating-Business-Without-ebook/dp/B004IYISQW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549750022&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=built+to+sell

https://www.amazon.com/Sustainable-Creating-Personally-Economically-Aardvarks-ebook/dp/B07954X6K7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0525534016/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_0525534016

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 09:30:04 PM »
A couple of ideas that may help:
  • Consider to take some restorative time off just for you. I am not talking about multi-week overseas adventures with your family. It sounds like you are on the edge of burn-out so please be careful not to push yourself on anything else. This is my personal experience too. Your top priority is to take care of yourself because the future of the business depends on you. Once you are back on your feet and feel centered, it's much easier to negotiate an exit plan with potential buyers.
  • Hire a business consultant or coach to help you slowly create a business that doesn't depend on you so much. SCORE.org has experienced volunteers who had similar experience as you. They can really help.

Good luck!

jleo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »
I am also 10 years in to business ownership an 3 years ago felt much as you do. Very burned out (but less successful).

I have been spending the past few years pulling myself out of the operation so it can run without me. This has required hiring, setting up processes and even changing what we offer.

It's a slow process and I am still not out and the business is not yet sellable. But I am enjoying it a lot more and no longer feel stuck. I found some of these books helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Built-Sell-Creating-Business-Without-ebook/dp/B004IYISQW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549750022&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=built+to+sell

https://www.amazon.com/Sustainable-Creating-Personally-Economically-Aardvarks-ebook/dp/B07954X6K7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0525534016/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_0525534016

I am starting the clockwork in audible per your recommendation, I am stuck feeling as well and may I ask how long it has taken to see some progress and if you have any advice on anything you have learned from beginning to separating yourself?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »
I know it is somewhat cliched, but have you looked at the Four Hour Workweek?

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »

I am starting the clockwork in audible per your recommendation, I am stuck feeling as well and may I ask how long it has taken to see some progress and if you have any advice on anything you have learned from beginning to separating yourself?

It has taken a couple years, though I probably could have extricated myself out of some tasks quicker if I held the line. A good business coach would probably help and be worth it.

Do you have a good sense of which roles you are still needed for? Operations? Sales? Business Development? Management? Or are you strictly the CEO?

Do you have multiple roles?

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 10:24:34 PM »
I met a mentor at SCORE in San Diego. Before he retired, he was a broker to buy and sell businesses. You may want to request a mentoring session with your local SCORE in this area. It will save you so much work. And it's FREE! :-)

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »
We recently sold our business.  Hand picked a few key younger employees that we had lots of trust in and presented the idea of them purchasing the business.   I had two partners and the whole process took about 8 years.   We made them come up with a decent down payment so they had some skin in the game and developed a plan where proceeds from the business would actually buy us over time.   To get the price of purchase down, we took all the cash out of the business and set up a new company loaning to them as needed for a couple years until company had enough cash on hand and they had solid bank credit. 

One partner got out shortly after deal was made, the next a couple years later, and I stayed the longest and retired at 58.   We remained on board of directors until we were paid off and had covenants in the deal where they couldn't take any extra income above and beyond their normal board approved salary and bonus programs until we were paid off.   We also owned a building and leased that to them as well.   After they got us all paid off, they pretty quickly went ahead and purchased the building too, had terms for that in the deal.

Had a few hiccups along the way, a few things we hadn't thought about, etc. but it all got worked out.   The whole deal went pretty slick, and new owners are doing a fine job with the company.

We didn't want to sell to outsiders because who knows how they might treat a bunch of our long term employees?  Felt obligated to keep the company going somehow so all of the employees had job security and a place they could retire from.   Existing employees was the obvious choice.   Who really knows your business better than the people that work there?

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »
We recently sold our business.  Hand picked a few key younger employees that we had lots of trust in and presented the idea of them purchasing the business.   I had two partners and the whole process took about 8 years.   We made them come up with a decent down payment so they had some skin in the game and developed a plan where proceeds from the business would actually buy us over time.   To get the price of purchase down, we took all the cash out of the business and set up a new company loaning to them as needed for a couple years until company had enough cash on hand and they had solid bank credit. 

One partner got out shortly after deal was made, the next a couple years later, and I stayed the longest and retired at 58.   We remained on board of directors until we were paid off and had covenants in the deal where they couldn't take any extra income above and beyond their normal board approved salary and bonus programs until we were paid off.   We also owned a building and leased that to them as well.   After they got us all paid off, they pretty quickly went ahead and purchased the building too, had terms for that in the deal.

Had a few hiccups along the way, a few things we hadn't thought about, etc. but it all got worked out.   The whole deal went pretty slick, and new owners are doing a fine job with the company.

We didn't want to sell to outsiders because who knows how they might treat a bunch of our long term employees?  Felt obligated to keep the company going somehow so all of the employees had job security and a place they could retire from.   Existing employees was the obvious choice.   Who really knows your business better than the people that work there?

How did you arrange this buy-out? Was it an ESOP or Co-op or some other arrangement? A business broker had advised us not to do this because of increased risk, expenses, and paperwork, etc.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:50 AM »
How did you arrange this buy-out? Was it an ESOP or Co-op or some other arrangement? A business broker had advised us not to do this because of increased risk, expenses, and paperwork, etc.

We hand picked the employees we wanted to carry on with the business, then simply approached them in a meeting and told them the idea we were kicking around.  Gave them some time to chew on the idea, then met again to see who wanted in.  Once we knew they were interested we started in on the details of valuing the business, working out all of the terms, etc.   We did most of the contract ourselves, then had a lawyer fine tune it.  When I surrendered my stock to the company and left, they had (5) years to pay me off and actually did it in (2).   I suppose they could have sunk the company and left me high and dry, but we knew that wasn't going to happen as we hand picked these people that we knew very well.

One thing we made pretty clear is that this was a non negotiable offer and a once in a lifetime chance for them to own a very good business that will pay for itself, with a pretty nominal out of pocket entry fee.   We did not entertain any price negotiations, debate about we don't need this equipment or that, etc.   We also did a long term lease on the building with an option to purchase.   We kept our jobs as long as we wanted to and transitioned to part time before final exit, made interest on the money we loaned them to run the business at first, got a check every month for building rent, got paid well for our company stock, and then sold the building at a good price.

I'm sure they all probably had a personal lawyer look over the contracts, but we never had any contact with any lawyers other than our own.   We also kept the financials out in the open all the way through the deal, nothing hidden, and had a very simple method of setting stock value at buy out times.   One big mistake I think a lot of business owners make when wanting to sell is they think their business is worth much more than it really is.   Your business is really only worth; the cash it has in the bank, hard assets like equipment or buildings, and the work on the books.   Things like "good name" and "potential for future earnings" are all pie in the sky.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 06:13:06 AM »
My FIL built up his own company from scratch with a partner, several decades before he pulled out. It was a company in calculating building costs. FIL was an architect. I'm not sure what his partner was, but possibly also an architect. They were managing the company together and had 30-35 employees.
When FIL wanted to retire in his fifties, he let his partner buy him out. The partner could not afford to pay this whole sum at once. FIL made a down-payment agreement. The partner paid a part of the sum in the beginning and would pay 2 more sums in subsequent years. FIL left the company immediately when the first payment was done and pulled back from being a manager. The partner was now for formal manager and owner.
During the down-payment period, the company went downhill and got in financial trouble. The partner apparently wasn't such a good manager on his own. The partner had trouble paying the remainder of the down-payment. My parents in law have never received the whole sum from the partner. It is a sad story. (The good news is that my parents in law still lived a FIRED life from their late fifties)

Maybe he would have been better off is he had stayed on the company as a board member, so that he had some control of the direction the company went into. He might also have told his share to some bigger company which could have paid the entire sum at once. FIL was probably doing his partner too big a favour by providing him a paydown period.

Rick Imby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Whatever you are, be a good one--Lincoln
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 05:58:44 PM »
My FIL built up his own company from scratch with a partner, several decades before he pulled out. It was a company in calculating building costs. FIL was an architect. I'm not sure what his partner was, but possibly also an architect. They were managing the company together and had 30-35 employees.
When FIL wanted to retire in his fifties, he let his partner buy him out. The partner could not afford to pay this whole sum at once. FIL made a down-payment agreement. The partner paid a part of the sum in the beginning and would pay 2 more sums in subsequent years. FIL left the company immediately when the first payment was done and pulled back from being a manager. The partner was now for formal manager and owner.
During the down-payment period, the company went downhill and got in financial trouble. The partner apparently wasn't such a good manager on his own. The partner had trouble paying the remainder of the down-payment. My parents in law have never received the whole sum from the partner. It is a sad story. (The good news is that my parents in law still lived a FIRED life from their late fifties)

Maybe he would have been better off is he had stayed on the company as a board member, so that he had some control of the direction the company went into. He might also have told his share to some bigger company which could have paid the entire sum at once. FIL was probably doing his partner too big a favour by providing him a paydown period.

In your Father in Law---I did not understand your FIL abbreviation--- situation.  In most successful partnerships one of the partner is often the best salesman and the other is often the better manager.  I call it accelerator and brakes.  Salesmen tend not to watch the details and managers often don't sell or value the salesman.  It takes both skills and obviously your FIL was an important player.

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 03:44:27 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, I had read at the time but being honest, it's been a rough year. Staff issues caused a huge problem in Q1-2. Hopefully we're out the other side of that now though.

In Q3 for the first time I experienced a terrible burn out. never thought it would happen to me but by heck it wrecked me. All the things you say "only happen to other people" came to my door. Wasn't pleasant and I did a bit of a digital detox. Can't say I'm 100% but certainly a lot better than I was.

So I've set myself a 2 year and out goal. Communicated it with all and I'm not making a plan to leave December 2021. We've a few things in the mix aside from my leaving date so who knows what will happen in this time. For now though I'm making plans.

dominikm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: From Australia, Resident of Bulgaria, Currently in Thailand
  • Live YOUR Life on YOUR Terms!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »
I don't have much time to read all of this but the summary was you are drained right?

I suggest you read 'Work the System' by Sam Carpenter. It's a free book or audio book these days. It's quite dry to be honest, but, it's magic. It explains how a guy went from sleeping a few hours a night working a call center in USA to getting to the point that it was self managed and he just checks up on things two hours per week.

Just Google it and you'll find his site and the free download.

A real world example of this. I recently came across a new online method to make money. TBH it's tedious AF and I'd want to kill myself if I did the work. Plus there is no way I could scale it doing the work myself. But I saw the potential. As having 10 virtual assistance in the Philippines making me $1,000/m net each looked doable.

So I followed his system. It's all about documenting every step that is needed. Refining where you need to refine. And now I have it making about $2,000USD/m and I do virtually zero work. Why? Because I systemised the business model pretty much from day one.

I will easily get to $10K/m. It's just a matter to some more systemisation. Ironing out the issues as they come up so things run smooth.

Hopefully this helps. As all big businesses are built off this and they thrive off this when it comes to the core of operations.

P.S. Not exactly a direct answer to your question. But, at the same time it is as you asked how to 'disassociate your identity'. And that's exactly what this process is about. Plus, if you want to sell out and you can actually show a buyer that the maintenance on their end is minimal each week you business is much more valuable and you multiple you'll get to sell out will be worth much more :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:23:07 PM by dominikm »

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, I had read at the time but being honest, it's been a rough year. Staff issues caused a huge problem in Q1-2. Hopefully we're out the other side of that now though.

In Q3 for the first time I experienced a terrible burn out. never thought it would happen to me but by heck it wrecked me. All the things you say "only happen to other people" came to my door. Wasn't pleasant and I did a bit of a digital detox. Can't say I'm 100% but certainly a lot better than I was.

So I've set myself a 2 year and out goal. Communicated it with all and I'm not making a plan to leave December 2021. We've a few things in the mix aside from my leaving date so who knows what will happen in this time. For now though I'm making plans.

I love this topic and I'm glad to hear you're working an exit plan. Years ago an owner of a web dev company said to me about exits "Nobody will reasonably buy a company where the owner is integral to the operation so you have to have to make the company run independently before you can sell it. But once you've done that, why sell? Small businesses sell at such low valuations it seems smarter to just sit back and enjoy the cash flow."

It's the reason I'm not very eager to expand my business beyond solo. If I do expand, it will only be in a way that allows an exit at some point in time. I really appreciate hearing the challenges from other owners here on MMM and elsewhere because it allows me to look ahead and strategize accordingly.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 06:13:19 AM »
I worked at a small private company, and when the boss sold to retire, she was on retainer to the purchaser for 18 months. For a couple of months, it was the same as before the sale, but by month 18 it was really only for advise or unexpected crisis. Answering email questions mostly.

You can't go back to that other offer, but there is a middle ground to flying away after the sale and staying on permanently. If your integral to the profitability, it isn't realistic that you won't need a long transition.

What my boss also did was she was prepping for the sale for 2 years (we figured out retroactively!). She had lost a few clients to employees that left, so by the time I got there, she kept herself firmly as the face of the company to all clients. About 2 years before the sale, she started having different employee take on more of the client management and by the time she sold, she was the backup for each client - not the first line.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »
As I read this thread, I had to think about the huge disconnect between the people who often post on MMM with six-figure net worths and 5-10 years left till retirement. They post their anxieties about 2% bond yields and stock valuation metrics in the 99th percentile. Or maybe they’re taking big chances on a tech stock and hoping to retire through luck.

Well, they should be buying these established businesses. They aren’t because of a lack of information (how would I know if a business is for sale) and risk aversion (because the owner knows how to run the business and nobody else does, and no processes are documented). And owners are afraid to publicize their willingness to sell. So nothing happens and perfectly good businesses fold.

Perhaps there should be a classifieds section for businesses on this forum?

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 08:00:06 PM »
Mustachian Marketplace could be used for this, right? The description includes "jobs" - I think small businesses would fit.

If it were me, I'd cross post it here in Entrepeneurship too.