Author Topic: Who's got two thumbs and can't set a toilet?  (Read 1706 times)

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
Who's got two thumbs and can't set a toilet?
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
This guy!!

Seriously this is diving me crazy. I set it in the following situations. Flange is on top of the sub floor wtih 1/4 LVT on top of it. So flange is about perfectly level with finished floor. Everything is new.

Set with a rubber gasket.
Set with a rubber gasket and provided spacer
Set with jumbo wax ring
Set again with wax ring

Leaks out of the front like every time, I dont get it. But not even when I flush it, only when I walk away for an hour or four and come back and I have a nice halo of water around the front of the toilet.

What is going on?! Why do I suck at this?!

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Who's got two thumbs and can't set a toilet?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
Be sure you that it is not leaking from the gasket between the reservoir and the bowl and/or the inlet connection to the reservoir bc it could be slowly dripping and flowing down the side of the toilet to the floor and your floor may have a slight slope making it pool in front. 

Honestly its pretty hard to screw up putting a toilet in place bc you have the flange bolts as guides, just take your time lowering the toilet in place so that the was ring doesn't get messed up. 

If its not the wax ring or other above then maybe you have a small crack.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:29:27 PM by tooqk4u22 »

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:51:44 PM »
Be sure you that it is not leaking from the gasket between the reservoir and the bowl and/or the inlet connection to the reservoir bc it could be slowly dripping and flowing down the side of the toilet to the floor and your floor may have a slight slope making it pool in front. 

Honestly its pretty hard to screw up putting a toilet in place bc you have the flange bolts as guides, just take your time lowering the toilet in place so that the was ring doesn't get messed up. 

If its not the wax ring or other above then maybe you have a small crack.

Yeah I am pretty sure its NOT leaking from the supply side, only from the waste side (somewhere)

But honestly the subfloor looks dry around the flange when I pull the toilet, the water seams to collect at the front that makes no dang sense.

Luckily so far its only been leaking onto a waterproof finished floor and not around the flange and into the bedroom below.  I agree that setting a toilet does feel like it should be a pretty basic operation. I built a whole bathroom you think I could handle a relatively easy step.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:41:51 PM »
Is it sweating? It could be pooled sweat.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 07:48:09 PM »
Hmmm, interesting.

Can disconnect the water feed line, drain ALL the water from the toilet and check for leaks in two different steps?

First step, now that you have a dried  toilet, is to add water to the top reservoir and not the bowl. Walk away for an hour (or four) and then come back and check. Here you're looking for a leak from the reservoir only.

If that checks out then add water to the bowl, a little at a time so it doesn't make it past the weir/trapway. Then walk away and come back later. Here you are looking for a leak from the bowl itself.

What I think you may have is a crack/leak at the weir, trapway or even at the outlet. But one would think you would have seen it.

Sub'ng cause I want to know what you find.

I turned the water off to the toilet, so we will see what we find! SO there is almost no water in the reservior, so we are doing test #2.

Granted this is at a rental so you never know what information tenants are going to give you.

I suspect it might be cracked, I am capable enough to build an entire bathroom from scratch surely I can set a toilet correctly, or at least on my second or third try!

Super helpful thanks Craig!

Yeah sweat I would see on the tank right?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!