Author Topic: Where to find geared belt for Whynter ice cream maker  (Read 1846 times)

Zeitgeist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to find geared belt for Whynter ice cream maker
« on: February 08, 2020, 09:10:47 AM »
I have a Whynter IC-2L ice cream maker that is making a screeching sound and intermittently the mixer stops moving.  It is the type with the churn motor in the lid.  I contacted the manufacturer about part availability and they claim that this is a discontinued model for which they carry no parts.

I took apart the motor apparatus and all looks OK except the gear belt is loose.  I believe that this is the problem.  It is a 3/16” thick by 7” diameter with 8 cog peaks per inch. 

Can anyone advise on where to find a belt like this?  There are a lot of vacuum belts out there but it’s kinda like looking for a needle in a haystack. 

Any advice on where and how to look would be appreciated.  This is not a super common appliance so there are not many out there used at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:16:29 AM by Zeitgeist »

grobinski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd - 02.03.20!
Re: Where to find geared belt for Whynter ice cream maker
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »
This sounds like it might be an MXL type of belt. It is surely not a custom item, so you should be able to find it with a bit of research. Counting the teeth would probably be informative.

SDP would be a good place to start. https://sdp-si.com/products/timing-belts/imxl.php

McMaster is another option. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/1192
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:34:02 PM by grobinski »

grobinski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd - 02.03.20!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 05:02:32 PM »
After a bit more looking, it doesn't appear there are such timing belts with a 1/8" "pitch" (your 8 cogs per inch). There are a number of timing belt profiles with a 3mm pitch such as a GT-2 series which is the metric equivalent closest to 1/8". I have no idea if different series would be interchangeable.

https://www.sdp-si.com/products/details/timing-belt-detail.php

Here is one that is 3mm pitch x 6mm x 177mm (59 grooves) which is the closest I can get to the dimensions you shared. http://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/product/?id=A_6R53M059060

Zeitgeist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 07:01:22 PM »
Grobinski,  you are fantastic!  That last link is near perfect!  It is indeed 59 grooves and 177 mm.  The width of mine is closer to 5mm,  but the pulleys should accommodate 6mm no problem,  so I am giving it a try.  Also realized I said diameter when I meant circumference so thank you for seeing through that. 

Have a great evening! 

Zeitgeist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 10:51:42 AM »
My ice cream maker has been working well for the last 1.5+ years after Grobinski’s sage advice gave me the belt info I needed.  However,  it now seems the motor itself may have failed as when I turn it on,  the mixer won’t turn.  I opened it up and do not see anything obviously wrong. 

The parts are no longer available for this Whynter Sno IC-2L ice cream maker.  It looks like it takes a DC geared motor.  Does that seem right?  Does it seem reasonable to replace the motor with an aftermarket one?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 12:32:36 PM »
Hopefully it might be as simple as replacing the carbon brushes. There is usually two access holes on the sides of the motor. The graphite block gets pushed into contact with springs. See if the block is worn away.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 07:53:43 AM »
uniwelder is right--it's probably the brushes.  If you smell a burning scent, though, it may be the windings, in which case a new motor is probably called for.

Zeitgeist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 07:38:17 PM »
Thanks.  I looked up some general info in replacing carbon brushes,  but I do not see how to access them on this motor?  A photo is attached.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 07:59:34 AM »
Sorry, thats the end of my motor knowledge.  I'm more accustomed to a more a la cart, modular setup, that is meant for servicing-- power tools, stand alone dc motor, etc.

Zeitgeist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »
Thanks fo your previous help.  I think I can use that info in the future when dealing with carbon brush motors.

This is a shaded pole motor that does not contain any brushes.  If anyone else has input on what could commonly go wrong,  I would love to hear your thoughts. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »
There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with a shaded pole motor.  Bushings running out of lubricant, maybe a shorted or broken winding...that's about it.