Author Topic: Where to buy a large pipe cap/DIY septic riser.  (Read 10936 times)

jef396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to buy a large pipe cap/DIY septic riser.
« on: December 17, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy a cap to a 24 inch wide pipe?  The cap needs to fit the pipe shown in these pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Pota1  Based on the Lowe's and Home Depot websites, they don't carry anything that big.  I haven't needed to venture beyond those stores before, so I'm at a loss.

Some background information... The cement plug for my septic tank broke and now there's a big gap for runoff and dirt to drain into the tank.  My plan is to remove the dirt around the access, use hydraulic cement to attach the above pipe to the tank and then stop using the cement plug entirely.  This was recommended by a plumber, who gave me that piece of pipe, but I'm up for other ideas as well.

Thanks!

MooreBonds

• Stubble
Re: Where to buy a large pipe cap/DIY septic riser.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »
A PVC Cap (any size) will have several inches that needs to fit over the pipe end. From the looks of your picture, the pipe segment you have is only maybe 4" or so wide - the cap alone will need a good 3" to fit and hold onto.

There's a small chance a utility wholesaler might have a leftover 24" cap laying around, but doubt they'd sell to an individual.

From what I'm picturing, you'd probably need a longer piece of pipe to fit a cap onto. Find out if the plumber that gave you that pipe segment can take it to a utility wholesaler and fit a 24" cap around it (there are various materials and pipe thicknesses used for pipes, so you need to not only find a 24" cap, but one that is of the correct schedule thickness that fits your pipe segment...or buy a scrap piece of another 24" pipe that has a cap).

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:40:41 AM »
There is a lid, not a cap, made specifically for this application. It is dark green plastic. It has a lip that sits flush with the rim of the pipe. The lip has a foam gasket (for sewer gas sealing), and is predrilled for stainless steel hex head screws that come with it. The piece is durable enough for foot traffic. I get mine at a local pipe/ underground utility supplier. Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue who the manufacturer is. It's early AM here. When I get out to one of my jobs, I'll see if the manufacturer's name is on the piece somewhere. They run about $35 in that size.

EDIT:  Found it on the Google. septicsolutions.com  tuf-tite brand heavy duty riser lid, 24"   Don't know the specifics of your issue, but here we would end up with the lid buried with six inches of dirt cover. It keeps the sewer gasses under control and it isn't too deep to dig out easily, when it's time to pump out. Make sure the lid and the riser to tank connection are both water tight. Ground water leaking into the system is not desirable. Have fun.......
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:52:09 AM by paddedhat »

jef396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Thanks!  I just ordered the lid from septicsolutions.  I'll post some more pictures once I have everything together.

jef396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »
I finally uploaded the pictures, back in the original album: http://imgur.com/a/Pota1

Thanks for the help!