Author Topic: What kind of flooring is this?  (Read 1923 times)

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
What kind of flooring is this?
« on: December 11, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
I am planning to remove this flooring and want to make sure it is safe to do so in terms of asbestos. I was happy to see that the backing was not paper but something else with a grid pattern.

The flooring is red, marble-looking and appears the same as Marmoleum sold at Home Depot.

Under the floor is an underlayment which appears to be masonite or similar. This needs to come up as well.

Am I good to go?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:41:52 PM by jpdx »

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
Re: What kind of flooring is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
The tiles appear to be linoleum - the grid pattern on the back is a jute (natural fiber) mesh.  I'm not as certain about the underlay, or even what the composition of Masonite could be. 

I've taken out asbestos tiles in a house - the issue is minimizing breakage and dust and keeping the nasty bits as encapsulated or undisturbed as possible.  In any case, regardless of your particular situation, I'd go for protective gear just to be safe (respirator, hooded disposable protective coveralls, safety glasses and gloves).

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:37:28 AM »
Also, you can buy testing kits through Amazon for reasonable prices that allow you to send a sample to the lab and they email you a result back in a week or so.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:40 PM »
RunningWithScissors, thanks for identifying the jute backing!

lthenderson, the Amazon kit is about $25 less than the local lab. Thanks for the tip!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:37:39 AM »
Very unlikely to be Asbestos, looks like normal Linoleum.
About the only asbestos flooring you run into anymore is the 9" x 9" x 1/8" thick, glue down tiles and they've not used that stuff since the 60's.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »
def not asbestos, you're good, that looks really recent flooring. Funny, in our market many people are putting Marmoleum IN and taking out all sorts of other flooring. If you get the tiles intact I bet you can sell them on craigslist. Marmoleum is a really nice high-end product.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
Update: first, thanks everyone.

Upon closer inspection, I see that there is a layer of gray material above and below the underlayment (under the yellow glue). It has the appearance of mortar. It is very hard but I am able to crack it. What's this?

Here's a cross section of layers:

linoleum sheet flooring
yellow glue
mortar?
underlayment (masonite or similar)
mortar?
hardwood
subfloor