Author Topic: What kind of fireplace do I have?  (Read 1423 times)

jtraggie99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What kind of fireplace do I have?
« on: December 06, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
I'm not sure how to answer this and I am trying to avoid calling out a chimney / fireplace company to look at it.  I bought a new house last spring and it has a gas line in the fireplace.  Just a single bar with slots that runs across the bottom of the fireplace.  There is a rack above it with nothing on it.  I have a key on the outside of the fireplace to turn the gas off and on.  And it has a flue that can be open and closed inside, with a full chimney that vents through the roof.  I am trying to determine if I can burn wood in this thing.  I would prefer that, as I can get wood for free, but the gas is not. 

Does anyone know how to determine what I can do here?  Or am I safer just calling someone out to look at it?

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What kind of fireplace do I have?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »
Around my parts, a chimney inspection / cleaning is about $160...well worth it in my opinion. Of course, you picked a bad time of year to be asking this question, so you might expect to pay a premium.

Kahooli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »
You will have to call in a professional if you can't figure it out yourself.

Many wood burning fireplaces also had gas starters in them to help you light the logs (no kindling needed).

jtraggie99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
Thanks guys.  Probably best just to call someone to look at it, just to play it safe.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 06:38:10 AM »
Google fireplace with gas starter. There are lots of images and it sounds like what you might have. But I would get a full inspection done of the chimney first before burning wood in an unknown fireplace. They can inspect for a cracked flue which isn't easily done by a homeowner without a camera scope.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »
Many wood burning fireplaces also had gas starters in them to help you light the logs (no kindling needed).
Our house has the same as yours.  It's a wood-burning fireplace with a gas starter.  In addition to the normal flue, ours also has an inlet (with its own damper) that leads to an intake vent on the outside of the house at the same elevation as the fireplace.

It's not a "gas fireplace"--don't use the burner for ambiance.  It gets expensive in a hurry. :)

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
go to hearth.com and create an acct and post a picture of your setup. the question will be answered in <30 minutes. many enthusiasts there.