Author Topic: What's the best way to repair & coat a pitted garage floor?  (Read 1540 times)

rulesforrebels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rules For Rebels
What's the best way to repair & coat a pitted garage floor?
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:49:43 AM »
I have a 1.5 car detached garage that I use as an office and workspace and also that's my dogs hangout area with all their toys and stuff. When I moved in I insulated, drywalled, etc looks like a normal room. I currently have rollout vinyl flooring but was thinking about tearing it up and doing an epoxy floor. Problem is the concrete garage floor is pitted pretty badly.

I was watching some Youtube videos for different types of repairs and epoxies and see mixed results from people. Looking to pour down some type of concrete or concrete/plymer surface coating and then do some type of paint or epoxy.

I'm not super handy, what would be the most cost effective and ideally easiest way to do this while still getting a decent result. Doesn't have to be perfect but don't want it to look like crap either.

Thanks.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the best way to repair & coat a pitted garage floor?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:06:15 AM »
Easiest and cheapest would be the 2 part epoxy you can get at the big box stores. It would look “ok” but not fix any pitting.  It does not hold up well under hot tires, but is fine for normal wear.

You can go with: epoxy with stones, like diy nature stone; diamond grind and acid etch; rubber mats; plastic garage floor tiles; or porcelain tile over thinset.  These would all be fine to park on again in the future.

If I was using the space as living space only, I would probably just use LVT right over the floor and be done with it. If I wanted something awesome and future cars, better against oil stains, etc, I would probably go with tile. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bognish

• Bristles
Re: What's the best way to repair & coat a pitted garage floor?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »
Prepping for epoxy is a major pain in the ass and way overkill for using it as a living room. It is a thin layer, so you would have to fix the pitted areas first and then grind down to smooth the transition. Liquid level concrete mix works for this.