Author Topic: water heater insulation vs regular  (Read 4973 times)

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
water heater insulation vs regular
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:17:25 AM »
I want to insulate my electric water heater, and i have been looking at the insulated jackets they sell.

My question is, is there any reason I can't or shouldn't make one from regular fiberglass insulation? it is cheaper and seems to have a significantly higher R value. I also can usually find scraps for free.

Physics

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: water heater insulation vs regular
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:45:05 AM »
edit: apparently I can't read and asked you if your electric water heater is gas or electric.

Here is a diagram showing a good technique for both.  There is no reason you can't use normal insulation, assuming it has the appropriate fire safety ratings.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:40:50 AM »
Thermal blanket is a good way to go.  However you do it, this is a good energy and money saving project, kudos.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »
Thermal blanket is a good way to go.  However you do it, this is a good energy and money saving project, kudos.

Are you talking about the foil-looking emergency blankets?

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:51 AM »
edit: apparently I can't read and asked you if your electric water heater is gas or electric.

Here is a diagram showing a good technique for both.  There is no reason you can't use normal insulation, assuming it has the appropriate fire safety ratings.

Ok good to know, thanks.

My water heater is actually in a very small little closet in one of the bathrooms, so I may just fill all the space between the heater and the wall with insulation.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »

PS. thanks for the diagram. That will come in handy

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!