Author Topic: Vermiculite + Knob/Tube in Attic  (Read 2518 times)

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vermiculite + Knob/Tube in Attic
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
Wife and I bought a 1922 house in the fall. Poking around in the attic, I may have discovered a 2" layer of vermiculite underneath 4" of cellulose insulation (the area under the storage area is 2" of vermiculite below the subfloor)

Before discovering the vermiculite, we were hoping to replace the knob-and-tube in the attic so we could add more lighting, air seal, and add more insulation. In order to do any of that, I would be disturbing the vermiculite (which may contain asbestos).

Any thoughts? We called our inspector (who missed this as it was mostly covered by cellulose, but we do trust as he told us to run from another house without charging us) didn't seem that concerned about covering/disturbing it. I've gotten quotes of $5-9k to remove the stuff.

My current thought is to pay to have it removed and do the electrical/re-insulation myself come spring time. Not sure about DIY removal of the stuff...

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Vermiculite + Knob/Tube in Attic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »
See Zonolite Attic Insulation Trust in case this is what you have.

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:54:28 AM »
I found that site in some of my searching. It seems that you won't know if they'll reimburse you until after you've done the work, but I would definitely apply for the money. Thanks for the reply!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
https://www-s.nist.gov/niws/index.cfm?event=directory.results

Find a lab near you (use the link) and have the vermiculite tested. If you don't have asbestos in it, then you're fine. Why gamble $5-9k on a maybe, when you could know if you have asbestos. Depending on your information source, 10-20% of vermiculite doesn't have asbestos in it.

Lots of people don't have it checked and pay for removal. Don't be that guy.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:33:38 PM »
Wear a p100 mask, do your work, an wet mop/hepa vac your mess. You will probably have more exposure if you get it removed than disturbing the amount necessary to install a dozen lights. Run your new Romex against the rafters away from the vermiculite and abandon the knob and tube in place. Once you are done, it is not going to sneak it if the attic and get you! If you were removing the ceiling, it would make sense to remove it but not in your case. Look up incidental asbestos exposure. You won't fine any links from chance exposure to cancer. It is almost exclusively people who worked in the mining and manufacturing of access containing products. Keep in mind the home owners spreading that vermiculite, electricians, and handymen aren't dropping dead left and right from mesothelioma. You will be fine.

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
Is it possible for you to cut off your knob and tube but leave it in place and run new wiring without disturbing the vermiculite?  That shit is scary and I wouldn't mess around, definitely worth getting it tested.