Author Topic: Tips / best way to remove tile mortar from wood frame  (Read 1284 times)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Tips / best way to remove tile mortar from wood frame
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »
Hoping you guys can give me some awesome ideas...  We are remodeling a bathroom.  Our usual tile guy really messed up the mortar mix or something and we have to remove and re-do a section.  Part of the section has pretty thick mortar (versabond brand if it matters).  To make things a bit more difficult, this is on a wooden frame with hardie backer (concrete board) on top.  (Bath tub frame / deck if that helps make sense of my description).  Any tips from the wise mustachian DIYers?

Thanks in advance!

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Tips / best way to remove tile mortar from wood frame
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »
So the mortar adheres the tile to the concrete board or does the mortar adhere the tile to the wood?

I have removed tile from both wood (plywood subfloor) and cement board (underlayment in the bathroom). In both cases the thin set was so well adhered that either chunks were left behind or I wound up tearing up the underlayment pretty bad and ended up removing the substrate and laying down a fresh piece.

You might get lucky and the poorly mixed mortar is easy to knock off the substrate. Otherwise, if the tile is adhered to the cement board, I would be inclined to cut out a section of the cement board with the tiles and place fresh piece.

When I tried removing my tile, I did try a oscillating tool and a carbide abrasive to knock down the lumps . . . I wouldn't recommend that. Perhaps and angle grinder with a diamond surface grinding wheel would be more effecting. I also used an SDS+ hammer drill in hammer only mode with a chisel blade to knock the tiles looks.

Of course all of this presumes that there is not some sort of waterproofing that will be interrupted.

I have to ask the question. You have a "usual tile guy", presumably some sort of professional you have an established relationship with, who made a mistake/error, so why are you the one figuring out how to fix it?

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:04:31 AM »
If the tile is adhered to cement board, I find it easier and cheaper to just remove the cement board and put down a new piece. Cement board and screws are pretty cheap. If it is adhered to plywood, often times the mortar doesn't adhere extremely well to the surface since it is much smoother than cement board. I can generally remove 95% of it by simply hitting it with a hammer to break up the chunks. What is left I will scrape or use a grinder with a diamond wheel. This latter procedure is very dirty and throws mortar chips in a small enclosed space so make sure to wear the proper safety gear.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
Thanks everyone who replied!  It wasn't as bad as I feared..  Most came up easily.  The remaining piece will be handled as mentioned in the above post - removing the cement board and redoing it.