Author Topic: Thermal fuse in dryer keeps blowing - cause?  (Read 43345 times)

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
Thermal fuse in dryer keeps blowing - cause?
« on: November 29, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
Hello, Mustachians!

Our Whirlpool Cabrio dryer stopped working and we had a Sears tech look at it. He plugged in his little computer and determined the thermal fuse had blown. He replaced it and the dryer worked for 2 days and did the same thing. We put in another thermal fuse, the dryer worked for 3 loads, then stopped again. What is the root of the problem??? Can I fix it? The Sears work is under warranty (we won't tell them we put in another fuse ;) ) but the techs suck and won't come out again until mid-December.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Thermal fuse in dryer keeps blowing - cause?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
I am taking a big WAG.   Have you checked/cleaned out the vent?   I'd start at the back of the dryer and make sure it is clean all the way to wherever it exits your house.   Again, I'm just guessing... but that seems like the easy thing that would cause it to overheat.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
The reason the fuse blew should be fixed before you replace it again.  The ducting could be blocked as Spork suggests, or the motor is going bad or you're overloading it and creating too much of a draw, something.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:59:08 AM by Greg »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »
Our Whirlpool Cabrio dryer stopped working and we had a Sears tech look at it. He plugged in his little computer and determined the thermal fuse had blown. He replaced it and the dryer worked for 2 days and did the same thing. We put in another thermal fuse, the dryer worked for 3 loads, then stopped again. What is the root of the problem??? Can I fix it? The Sears work is under warranty (we won't tell them we put in another fuse ;) ) but the techs suck and won't come out again until mid-December.
As another poster mentioned, the easy answer is a blocked exhaust duct (outside the dryer) or a blocked duct (inside the dryer between the drum and the external exhaust).  The inside blockage would mean that you'd need to take apart the covers over the internal ducts, and possibly even remove the outer metal shell from the dryer's chassis.

The harder answer may be a failing heating element:
http://fixitnow.com/wp/2010/09/21/whirlpool-cabrio-dryer-wed6400sw1-drum-wont-no-tumble-but-the-heater-still-fires-up/
It could be an intermittent ground, or debris that's touching the heater element and causing it to overheat/ground, or just the element going bad.

The hardest answer of all?  You need a new repair tech.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »
Just make sure you're clear that the fuse is not a problem -- it is a symptom of another problem. Fuses are protective devices, installed to protect more expensive equipment.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »
Just make sure you're clear that the fuse is not a problem -- it is a symptom of another problem. Fuses are protective devices, installed to protect more expensive equipment.
Yes, I'm clear on that. That's why I asked what the root of the problem is.

I need to uninstall the duct behind the wall to make sure there isn't a block in the bend in there. Haven't checked inside the machine yet either. Will tackle some of that this week.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
Yes, I'm clear on that. That's why I asked what the root of the problem is.

I'd have to disagree, given that the tech replaced a blown fuse, which then blew again, after which you replaced it yet again, leading to (unsurprisingly) a third blown fuse. The reason I mention it is that by replacing the fuse repeatedly you increase your chances of a more serious failure (from whatever it is the fuse is installed to protect in the first place), unless you make sure to locate the actual problem first. Which, in my limited experience with washers/dryers, isn't always easy to diagnose online, especially with the limited information you've given.

PantsOnFire

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »
I had to replace the heating element in our dryer and I found repairclinic.com to be immensely helpful.  Their prices for replacement parts seemed to be pretty good, and the kicker was that they actually had the service manual for our dryer.  Since the job involved extensive disassembly, I didn't want to be without the diagrams and step-by-step instructions.  They even have video tutorials for many jobs. 

I even ordered extra parts that I *might* need for the job so I wouldn't be stuck in the middle of the project.  They allow returns for up to a full year so I just sent back the stuff I didn't end up needing. 

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »
I had to replace the heating element in our dryer and I found repairclinic.com to be immensely helpful.  Their prices for replacement parts seemed to be pretty good, and the kicker was that they actually had the service manual for our dryer.  Since the job involved extensive disassembly, I didn't want to be without the diagrams and step-by-step instructions.  They even have video tutorials for many jobs. 

I even ordered extra parts that I *might* need for the job so I wouldn't be stuck in the middle of the project.  They allow returns for up to a full year so I just sent back the stuff I didn't end up needing.

Thanks for this!