Author Topic: The Barnhouse Transformation  (Read 88169 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: The Barnhouse Transformation
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05:49 AM »
Once DW is done, windows are on our list. I was going to go with a local shop, but if I can get a name brand at a good price, I'll go that way. Ours are fairly large as well. 54" X 48" or so. I'd need to look it up.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
I'm in the US. That one was a small one (30" x 23"). There's another small one in the same bedroom that I'll be replacing with a much bigger one to meet egress requirements. Resizing the opening should be fun.. ;)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »
Last Sunday we stopped by the Re-Store and bought a kitchen to put in the basement ($600 incl. sink and fixtures) for pickup midweek. Then on Monday I broke my wrist. Not ideal.

I've been getting calls daily from the Re-Store bugging me to come pick up the kitchen, so yesterday I got an enclosed trailer from U-Haul and stopped by the Re-Store on my lunch. Found a manager, explained the situation and asked if they could load the trailer for me to come back and haul it off after work. I got zero cooperation, and instead of help got an earful about how long the cabinets had been sitting. This made me unhappy. Took the trailer back to the office (empty) and dropped it in work's parking lot.

The U-haul experience lived up to ALL my expectations from them - which are very low. Booked a trailer in town - had to pick it up in the next town over - was told that its double booked for tomorrow, but that's the next guy's problem, etc.

After work, Momma and I returned to the Re-Store where we loaded the trailer - some staff joined in and helped enthusiastically. I wonder if the day manager was just a twit. Its brutal when one person reflects poorly on an org.

Anyway, we drove to barnhouse arriving at about 7:45 to find that drywall dude has taped/mudded everything!! Yay!! He needs to come back to sand and do coat 2, but its starting to look semi-liveable.

We ate a quick dinner of noodles and ground beef, then put kids to bed and Momma and I offloaded the furniture. Hard to negotiate the tight trailer space and stairs with the cast, but all doable. Got everything into the basement and it was only 10:00 PM. With the state the house was in from the drywall guy, there was no point doing any work on the "occupied spaces" and the remaining work was either fiddly (can't be done in a cast) or involved much scrubbing (also not doable in a cast) so we got the kids out of bed, loaded everyone back into the van and headed home.

We returned the U-haul trailer at 11:30 - backing it into the parking spot in the dark was nervous, and uncoupling it/lifting it off the ball was difficult. Got home at midnight, trundled the kids into their beds, and then crashed. This morning we slept in and are living a decadent life of "no plans" This is nice. I may try to hang some doors in this house and take a close look at the trim in the boy's room. It needs completion.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
It looks like your strategic wrist-breaking worked out!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
I may try to hang some doors in this house and take a close look at the trim in the boy's room. It needs completion.

No.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »
Come to the MMMeet up!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »
This morning we slept in and are living a decadent life of "no plans" This is nice. I may try to hang some doors in this house and take a close look at the trim in the boy's room. It needs completion.

I don't think you understand what "no plans" means.

:D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »
We went for a walk on the waterfront and let the kids play at the park. Right now they are in the basement playing minecraft with neighbour kids. We are having an exotic meal of KD while we do nothing - I may even be able to watch my first NHL game of the season! Haven't had a Saturday night free since forever!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »
We went for a walk on the waterfront and let the kids play at the park. Right now they are in the basement playing minecraft with neighbour kids. We are having an exotic meal of KD while we do nothing - I may even be able to watch my first NHL game of the season! Haven't had a Saturday night free since forever!
You mean you have a million dollars?!?

Oh oh, we are on opposite sides - I imagine you are cheering the Leafs, and when the Habs aren't playing the Sens are my second choice team.

(I should have known EX and I were incompatible, he loves the Leafs and my heart is given to the Habs).

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2017, 01:56:38 PM »
What is KD? Your poor wrist!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »

KD = Kraft Dinner, the Canadian version of Kraft Mac & Cheese. I am assured by other Canadian friends that the US version pales in comparison to KD. So far none have equipped me with what is needed to test this assertion.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2017, 06:28:37 AM »
It's a thing here, as in The Bare Naked Ladies song:

If I had a million dollars
We wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner
But we would eat Kraft Dinner

Which is why I asked You mean you have a million dollars?!?

Part of our national heritage/culture, eh?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »

Oh. My god. You just explained something that I had been so confused by in the past. Slash, just kinda dismissed as weird, because BNL.

Love that song. Thank you for deepening my understanding of it, lol!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2017, 09:51:47 AM »

Oh. My god. You just explained something that I had been so confused by in the past. Slash, just kinda dismissed as weird, because BNL.

Love that song. Thank you for deepening my understanding of it, lol!

But everyone knows there is no connection between a K-car and KD, right?

If you grew up in the 1980's, this was required singing around the dinner table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEOttF4-L0
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:54:09 AM by Prospector »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
But not a real Kraft Dinner, that's cruel.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
You mean you have a million dollars?!?

Oh oh, we are on opposite sides - I imagine you are cheering the Leafs, and when the Habs aren't playing the Sens are my second choice team.

(I should have known EX and I were incompatible, he loves the Leafs and my heart is given to the Habs).

He'd only be suspected of having a million dollars if he at KD with fancy, Dijon ketchups, I believe.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »
Went up to the house yesterday and checked out DW dude's work. He has one day left of sanding and then he's out of there. He has also managed to trash the house with dw mud. Mud across the floors everywhere. Mud on the countertops. mud globs across the bedroom doors. Hand prints up the bannister and blobs on the newel post where he set down his tools. I swear there is not a room, not a wall not a floor that we won't be chiseling/scrubbing/wiping DW mud off of. I have heard contractor friends complaining about drywallers before, but this is the first time I've worked with one - and it seems to hold up to the stereotype. His work looks good, but he has messed up the rest of the house to get it done, and his schedule has held things up by weeks. I could have done this in the same time working weekends.

The plumber hasn't been in to finish his work, so while I was up yesterday I ran to HD and bought a water heater. It took a couple hours to install it, but at least I'm not paying this dude to do that. And I could do it without tripping over anyone else. The plumber promises he'll be in this week to hook up the drains and rough in the basement bathroom/kitchen. He's squeezing it in before a week long trip to Jamica or something. I started off making loads of pics on "how to install a water heater (its super-easy) but then lost patience with taking pictures. I have good photos of removal though if anyone needs to see that part.

After dealing with all this, I am sorely tempted to sign up for a drywalling course at our local college and figure out what I am doing wrong when I diy. maybe learning how to do it "right" I would be better off. I mean I can hang drywall just fine (anyone could figure that out) but the taping/mudding/sanding is where I am bewildered. I can do it - but poorly and slowly. The cost of this dude has killed me and his schedule has destroyed mine.Anyway - hopefully by the end of the week I'll be done with trades.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »
I can't see how learning to drywall properly could possibly harm you, unless you're working with a broken wrist or something.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »
I can't see how learning to drywall properly could possibly harm you, unless you're working with a broken wrist or something.

Hush you. My wrist is fine. Just fine.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »

Major LOL, snacky!

Prospector, how large do you think your knowledge gap is?  I'm guessing YouTube videos or online DIY instructions wouldn't be enough.  Would observing someone working help?  I'm sorry your experience with a DW contractor has been lousy, but it sounds like motivation gained/a lesson learned.  Try to take it easy with your wrist!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: January 29, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
When it comes to the majority of tapers I have employed, generally they are slobs, and it doesn't matter to anybody. Typically the work is done at a stage where there are no cabinets, countertops, etc.. on the job, and they can fling shit everywhere with little concern. the one exception that really is an issue on new construction is tubs, since they go in before the rock, and it can be extremely difficult to protect a tub to the point that  it's damage proof and protected from the hangers and tapers. The flip side of this is that I had a long run of doing business with a father/son team of tapers who could work anywhere and not leave a drop of mud on the floor. They famously did all the ceilings in a vacation cabin and worked around the fact that it was fully furnished and occupied, without protecting a thing, and not getting a drip on a single surface. So it can be done, but there is little incentive to learn how to do the work cleanly, or practice it as a skill set. As long as there is no actual damage, it doesn't take long to scrape and clean the "scene of the crime" so I learned a long time ago not to get too worked up about it.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #271 on: January 29, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »
After dealing with all this, I am sorely tempted to sign up for a drywalling course at our local college and figure out what I am doing wrong when I diy. maybe learning how to do it "right" I would be better off. I mean I can hang drywall just fine (anyone could figure that out) but the taping/mudding/sanding is where I am bewildered. I can do it - but poorly and slowly. The cost of this dude has killed me and his schedule has destroyed mine.Anyway - hopefully by the end of the week I'll be done with trades.

I think a lot of it is just practice. I mean I've been dry walling 20+ years and I still suck at it.  My problem is which I'm sure you'll run into as well is I'll just never get enough practice. 90% of the drywall work I do is "point up" like fixing nail pops, holes from pictures, door knobs, angry fists, etc. Rarely do I tape a full room, I've never done  a whole house.

My father is a good 3-4 times faster than I am so I typically don't even bother. I just finish hanging the little pieces and nail all the corner beads on while he does the taping. Then he lets me do all the sanding :D

When it comes to the majority of tapers I have employed, generally they are slobs, and it doesn't matter to anybody. Typically the work is done at a stage where there are no cabinets, countertops, etc.. on the job, and they can fling shit everywhere with little concern. the one exception that really is an issue on new construction is tubs, since they go in before the rock, and it can be extremely difficult to protect a tub to the point that  it's damage proof and protected from the hangers and tapers. The flip side of this is that I had a long run of doing business with a father/son team of tapers who could work anywhere and not leave a drop of mud on the floor. They famously did all the ceilings in a vacation cabin and worked around the fact that it was fully furnished and occupied, without protecting a thing, and not getting a drip on a single surface. So it can be done, but there is little incentive to learn how to do the work cleanly, or practice it as a skill set. As long as there is no actual damage, it doesn't take long to scrape and clean the "scene of the crime" so I learned a long time ago not to get too worked up about it.

Yeah a drywall guy taught me early on if your not getting stuff on the floor your working too slow.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2017, 03:29:20 PM »
Anyway - hopefully by the end of the week I'll be done with trades.

I'm not holding my breath, but I am crossing my fingers.  :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
Well, I wouldn't have the foggiest on any of that, so while the cleanup sucks I'm impressed at all the skills you have put into this, Prospector. Our houses are generally plaster & brick, not drywall & mud (is mud plaster?).

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »
Went up to the house yesterday and checked out DW dude's work. He has one day left of sanding and then he's out of there. He has also managed to trash the house with dw mud. Mud across the floors everywhere. Mud on the countertops. mud globs across the bedroom doors. Hand prints up the bannister and blobs on the newel post where he set down his tools. I swear there is not a room, not a wall not a floor that we won't be chiseling/scrubbing/wiping DW mud off of. I have heard contractor friends complaining about drywallers before, but this is the first time I've worked with one - and it seems to hold up to the stereotype. His work looks good, but he has messed up the rest of the house to get it done, and his schedule has held things up by weeks. I could have done this in the same time working weekends.

The plumber hasn't been in to finish his work, so while I was up yesterday I ran to HD and bought a water heater. It took a couple hours to install it, but at least I'm not paying this dude to do that. And I could do it without tripping over anyone else. The plumber promises he'll be in this week to hook up the drains and rough in the basement bathroom/kitchen. He's squeezing it in before a week long trip to Jamica or something. I started off making loads of pics on "how to install a water heater (its super-easy) but then lost patience with taking pictures. I have good photos of removal though if anyone needs to see that part.

Ugh. When I finished the house I put construction paper down on everything, hung sheet plastic to protect woodwork and tubs and things that were installed etc.  So much easier than scrubbing and scraping for hours to get that stuff off of everything. It's not hard, just time consuming.  The tapers probably thought I was insane, but it really made my life easier. And when the carpet installers and trim guys came in after, I got a lot of comments on 'this is the cleanest house we've ever worked in.'  Yeah, keep it that way, buddy.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »

Ugh. When I finished the house I put construction paper down on everything, hung sheet plastic to protect woodwork and tubs and things that were installed etc.  So much easier than scrubbing and scraping for hours to get that stuff off of everything. It's not hard, just time consuming.  The tapers probably thought I was insane, but it really made my life easier. And when the carpet installers and trim guys came in after, I got a lot of comments on 'this is the cleanest house we've ever worked in.'  Yeah, keep it that way, buddy.

Oh, I forgot that part. I always would staple two layers of 3' wide craft paper to all areas that get tile, typically kitchens and baths, then tape the seams with duct tape. This step was after the mechanicals and insulation installs were done.  One the place is hung,taped, sanded and painted, it's a joy to vacuum everything up and pull up the paper to reveal a spotless floor.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 29, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »

Oh, I forgot that part. I always would staple two layers of 3' wide craft paper to all areas that get tile, typically kitchens and baths, then tape the seams with duct tape. This step was after the mechanicals and insulation installs were done.  One the place is hung,taped, sanded and painted, it's a joy to vacuum everything up and pull up the paper to reveal a spotless floor.

I didn't even think about how much easier this would make it to lay tile. No wonder the flooring guys commented so much.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #277 on: February 03, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
You said you have a re-store, you could see what Habitat for Humanity's schedule is like for building? I learned how to do electrical wiring of outlets, switches, and light fixtures in one day of volunteering.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #278 on: February 05, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »
This morning I told dw dude not to bother coming back. Right now Momma is cleaning up his mess upstairs, while I pull up carpet down on the main floor.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2017, 07:20:26 PM »
Bugger.

I was watching Grand Designs last night and they used spray-on insulation! I've not seen it before, it was really cool to watch it puff up as they applied it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: February 05, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
The spray stuff would be great for our family home, but I don't think it would have an application at Barnhouse. I got half the living room floor out today, and we burned a lot of scrap wood. Momma swept, wiped, and tidied. In a half day, we got a lot done.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
It looks great. I am constantly impressed by the shit you do.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: February 08, 2017, 12:38:53 AM »
It looks great. I am constantly impressed by the shit you do.
Tell me about it. All of my projects wind up looking like... well, like a guy who didn't know what he was doing did them.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #283 on: February 11, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »
Barnhouse continues to entertain. Thx weekends start point...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #284 on: February 11, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
One 3*12' strip out, now on a 4*6' piece. Arm status: Jordan

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #285 on: February 11, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
2/3 there. Arm status: Jordan post-workout.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
Floor's all up. Arm status: John snow pre-FIRE.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
Looking good Prospector!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
Thanks Yogi.

Having a hard time getting excited about painting. Hands are muscle-sore from carpet removing, and after eating half a cake I feel more tired than energized.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2017, 04:21:19 AM »
What do you call that thing where you get up and check out your progress and then realise the room has a ceiling too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »
What do you call that thing where you get up and check out your progress and then realise the room has a ceiling too.

Crushing disappointment?

Floor's all up. Arm status: John snow pre-FIRE.

Man, think you'll get to post-fire Snow arms by the end of the weekend?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2017, 08:46:13 AM »
Looking fantastic....You will be amazed by what a difference paint will make.  Luckily there wasn't glued down pad under that carpet of yours....We spent DAYS removing our padding....With hand scraper and sander because it was crusty hardened old pad and glue (after testing for asbestos to be safe).

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
It was all glued down carpet with rubber backing. Like an intended pad. The scraper I have is pretty good, but it's still hard work. Lucky for me it's sheet linoleum under it. Apart from a few seams,it's barely caught the scraper at all.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Just read this thread from beginning to end (good use of my Sunday morning?) - entertaining, and fun to watch things come together. The slope in that closet-bathroom is hilarious. Do you have pictures of the kitchen cabinets for the basement? Did the plumber ever get his shit done?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »
Still waiting on the plumber. He said supposed to be here this week.

I'll snap a picture of the kitchen later

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »

Awesome! The amount of work you're putting into this (on top of family + full time work) is motivating... makes me feel lazy :)

So the original goal was rented by January - do you think you're on target for being done and rented out by March 1st?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »

Awesome! The amount of work you're putting into this (on top of family + full time work) is motivating... makes me feel lazy :)

So the original goal was rented by January - do you think you're on target for being done and rented out by March 1st?

Shut up about the destination. Let's just enjoy the ride, ok?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Another 6' x 12' and the living room is all primed up.

After that the decision is whether to head home thru the snow or do the 2-piece bathroom.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »
Shut up about the destination. Let's just enjoy the ride, ok?

Fair enough ;)

Do you texture walls up there in Canada, or are they those weird super smooth walls?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »
Right now they look like this... no texture intended.