Author Topic: The Barnhouse Transformation  (Read 88178 times)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: The Barnhouse Transformation
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2016, 11:29:59 PM »
Momma just sent this pic. Apparently Bernie has been there since I left the house 2 hours ago.

Poor girl!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2016, 04:33:06 AM »
Back again the Barnhouse, and I was glad to hook up the trailer tonight to have it ready for an early morning trip to the dump. Apparently the plumber thinks otherwise.

He also thinks I should not work in the basement.

Back to the master bedroom ceiling, I guess.

Urg. I hate tying to get other work done around contractors.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2016, 05:26:11 AM »
Poor SOB's are spending their weekend in my backyard.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2016, 06:58:54 AM »
Plumber just texted me a photo. I asked where his trenchbox is. Can you imagine a cave-in down there? Ugh. Snow - does this look familiar? Yup, its a family business...

I just broke out in a cold sweat.

And yes, I've been involved in a few trench cave-in's in my day. How deep was that excavation?

As you know Prosp, my current labours in the soil involve writing messages in tropical beach sand. ;)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2016, 07:23:38 AM »
They found the sewer stub at 14' down, and did a straight run under the footing. The trench was never less than 8' deep.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2016, 07:25:04 AM »
Back again the Barnhouse, and I was glad to hook up the trailer tonight to have it ready for an early morning trip to the dump. Apparently the plumber thinks otherwise.

He also thinks I should not work in the basement.

Back to the master bedroom ceiling, I guess.

Urg. I hate tying to get other work done around contractors.

Pretty sure that feeling is mutual. The contractors hate the homeowners just as much.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2016, 02:22:36 PM »
Master bedroom ceiling coming down. And a selfie especially for Bracken Joy. All the PPE.

Trailer's full again... need to start putting the debris in boxes insted... but I have none. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »
I am so proud of your PPE. *sniff* Brings a (totally sanitary) tear to my eye!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »
I am so proud of your PPE. *sniff* Brings a (totally sanitary) tear to my eye!
+1

Much better! Now you won't be so stuffed on Monday.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2016, 05:56:05 PM »
Kriegsspiel seems to have snuck in the barnhouse!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »
Kriegsspiel seems to have snuck in the barnhouse!

:thumbsup:

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »
I'm spending today replacing the rafters /crossties with new so we can have a flat ceiling when drywall goes up. It was slow going on the layout, but everything appears to be level at best, coplanar at least. I'm working alone, so I'm hoisting up the crossties with ATV tie down straps. It's working well, but took some effort to get the technique down. It looks like they used whatever scrap lumber was available when the original ties went in. All are dimensionally distinct, many have notches cut in them, and some are just plain scary.

I also had a drywall guy in today. He's quoting $1500 for the whole house. Totally worth it! 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2016, 09:14:34 AM »
*snip*
It looks like they used whatever scrap lumber was available when the original ties went in. All are dimensionally distinct, many have notches cut in them, and some are just plain scary.

I hope you sell that old scrap lumber at a premium as "reclaimed timbers, dimensionally distinct!" for all those HGTV fans out there.  :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2016, 09:30:25 AM »
Photos from a blackberry are always fun to look at when I get home. They never fail to disappoint.

Single handed rafter replacement... a journey in pictures.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
Pt. 2

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2016, 09:34:42 AM »
Pt. 3
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:40:07 AM by Prospector »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »
On the advice of the drywaller, I'm tearing out the rest of the living room ceiling. Just found newspaper scraps from 1949 up there.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2016, 11:43:09 AM »
1500 for the whole house? Thats a killer deal.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2016, 11:43:48 AM »
Very impressive! It amazes me what all you're getting done solo. I can't imagine!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2016, 12:08:33 PM »
1500 for the whole house? Thats a killer deal.

I wish!!!

$1500 for the bathroom I already started, the master bedroom, living room, and a bunch of small repairs.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2016, 12:09:09 PM »
Very impressive! It amazes me what all you're getting done solo. I can't imagine!

Thanks!!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
Talking to the drywaller was motivational. Ceiling is gone. Questions... do I make the walls match?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
On the advice of the drywaller, I'm tearing out the rest of the living room ceiling. Just found newspaper scraps from 1949 up there.

Cool!  You always hear about that happening in old houses.  Those newspapers are almost as old as my MIL (youngest of our parents), to give some perspective.  (Are any complete sheets or in good condition?  Whole articles still readable?  Thinking maybe they have use as nostalgia items.)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »

Cool!  You always hear about that happening in old houses.  Those newspapers are almost as old as my MIL (youngest of our parents), to give some perspective.  (Are any complete sheets or in good condition?  Whole articles still readable?  Thinking maybe they have use as nostalgia items.)

Nope. Just scraps. Looks like they were used to block off a heat vent. There are pipes in the floor from radiators, but I guess around 1949 they switched to forced air. The house was on oil heat a year ago, but now it's gas.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2016, 03:00:21 PM »
About to hop in the car and head off to Barnhouse for another thrilling weekend of crumbling plaster and insulation rain.

Yay me. At least things are starting to take some kind of shape up there.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »
About to hop in the car and head off to Barnhouse for another thrilling weekend of crumbling plaster and insulation rain.

Yay me. At least things are starting to take some kind of shape up there.

Wear your PPE and good luck with the not dying!

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »

I feel like people should be saying this as a normal, standard farewell.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »

I feel like people should be saying this as a normal, standard farewell.

As a nurse, I would highly approve. Honestly, should start saying farewell to my nursing buddies this way. They could use the reminder ;) the PPE is NOT a suggestion dammit, I don't care if you're only muting the pump. *mutter mutter*

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »
I prefer "Have fun storming the castle" or "sleep well and dream of large women", depending on the time of day.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »
You are inspiring me....I need to get cracking on my FIRE house basement.

I actually vote for NOT doing the walls - because if you take down the walls, you will be tempted to mess with the electrical, and then more and more and more. Our FIRE house basement started as one section of roof/wall and 1/2 the flooring that was damaged.  But what we saw in the one section made us feel like the rest needed to go.  It's definitely a money pit. (But nice for bragging rights about all the DIY stuff we've accomplished.)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »
Insulating the master bedroom.

Sharpened putty knife as cutter.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2016, 02:26:45 PM »
More...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: December 04, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
Means in the living room...

dreamer8887

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »
Posting to follow, love renovation stories and you obvs know what you're doing.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2016, 05:30:38 AM »
Welcome aboard dreamer!

I love that I've snuck a journal into the DIY section. Don't tell anyone, m'kay??

Highlites this weekend - Rat skeletons. 2 of them. Completely intact were found among the ceiling debris. I have been surprised that we have found virtually no signs of rodent issues while working on this house, and have gone so far as to leave dog food out to see if it was disturbed on our return the next weekend. It wasn't. But obviously at some point there were rats in here. The carcasses were neat to look at, but I didn't share with Momma or the boys.

My Dad came up on Friday night to lend a hand - I was VERY afraid of his help, but it worked out well, and we only had one conversation where I had to will myself not to throttle him. I think I behvaed quite nicely. And he was a plaster stripping machine. For a dude his age, it was amazing how much work he put in over Friday and Saturday. Last weekend I had dropped the living room ceiling, so on Friday night we carted it out to the trailer in pieces and cleaned up. On Saturday morning, I showed him how I was removing the plaster on the walls while keeping the lathe. He continued where I had left off the previous weekend, and by late afternoon had stripped out 3 of the 4 living room walls. While he worked downstairs, I set purlins into the master bedroom framing to support board insulation.

After Dad left, Momma came up. (She refused to work alongside Dad) On Sunday we made a run to Home Depot to get insulation for upstairs, and then Momma set to work stripping out the rest of the plaster. The living room is basically clear of plaster now, while upstairs has the "top ceiling" insulated. I need to do the sidewalls and a second layer up top. I am going to call the drywall dude today to let him know we should be good to go next Monday.

I am embarassed at how slow I have gotten up there. Really I'm way too comfortable. I look forward to me 'cottage' weekends, and spend as much time listening to podcasts and sipping beers as actually working. Who wants to make noise and interrupt a good podcast? 

I need to have a performance evaluation with me and remind myself that I'm not much of an employee while I sit around.

Next steps:

Once drywall is up, we go into flooring mode.  I'm keeping an eye on the costs of various options there. Laminate is cheap, looks cheap, and may or may not wear well depending on the paper and backing. Engineered is less cheap, looks less cheap, and wears about the same as hardwood, depending on the finish. Vinyl looks like the best option, but will telegraph the (crappy) subfloor through itself.

What do others have in rentals for entryway, livingroom, dining room, bedrooms?

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2016, 07:18:11 AM »
Re: missing your podcasts due to construction noise. Have you asked Santa for good earbuds or headphones? They don't even have to be noise cancelling to get the job done, but it helps. Monoprice has good prices.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2016, 07:23:21 AM »
Re: missing your podcasts due to construction noise. Have you asked Santa for good earbuds or headphones? They don't even have to be noise cancelling to get the job done, but it helps. Monoprice has good prices.

Good idea Snacky, then when I'm sitting sipping my beer, I won't be disturbed by the noise of Momma working!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2016, 08:20:58 AM »

Good idea Snacky, then when I'm sitting sipping my beer, I won't be disturbed by the noise of Momma working!

Exactly what I was getting at.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »
Mmm, insulation.

My tenant moved out and my wife doesn't want to use the upstairs space until it's comfortable, so it looks like I'll be doing something similar to what you're doing.  Unfortunately, head space up there is really valuable (I already hit my head in the poorly laid-out hallway up there), so dropping the ceiling to address thermal bridges won't work.  Currently the rafters are filled with fiberglass insulation that
a) is not the slightest bit air-sealed, so it's a lovely black color after decades of filtering the house's air,
b) is falling down, because it wasn't tightly fit and was just held into place with strips of cardboard that were stapled to each rafter, and
c) have the kraft paper facing the wrong way, though that doesn't really matter much given the lack of air sealing and other issues.

The ceiling and walls are currently a mix of drywall and bead board.  The drywall will remain, while the bead board has visible gaps through it and will be torn down and replaced with drywall.  I looked at a bunch of GBA stuff for insulation ideas..

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/creating-conditioned-attic
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-build-insulated-cathedral-ceiling

I *really* like not using batts, and fiberglass freaks me out.  The way you cut the foam board is pretty interesting (though will you be sealing the seams with spray foam for air-tightness, or just relying on the additional layer of foamboard under the rafters?).  If I had the head space, I would install foamboard under the rafters and get someone to blow in cellulose into the rafter cavities, but there's no head space.  I plan to put foam board above the roof sheathing when the roof needs replacement, but I estimate that the roof has another 10 years and I'm not sure how long we'll stick around in this house (it's definitely not my "forever" house, as it's too close to a busy road and isn't walkable/bikeable enough).

Spray foaming directly to the sheathing will be a mess later when the sheathing is torn up to redo the roof.  Spray foaming with a ventilation channel would allow the sheathing to be redone, but the ventilation channel will make no sense when/if foam board is installed.  Dense-packing cellulose by adding a thin sheet of OSB under the rafters (1/4" or so) might make sense, with a ventilation channel that can later be removed when the roof is redone (though I'm not sure how I'll deal with the ventilation channel on parts of the roof where I'll only have access to half of it due to a mix of bead board and drywall).  Mineral woof or denim batts should be easy, but require me to do a really good job to address air sealing issues.

I'm leaning towards the dense-pack, or doing what you did with the gap between foamboard and sheathing being the ventilation channel that can later be filled in once the roof is redone.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:46:02 PM by dilinger »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2016, 02:05:31 PM »
Good questions.

Where the gaps are large enough, it will be spray foam. The rest gets caulked to the rafters. Over the caulk goes tuck tape as the final seal. The first layeer of boards (the ones I am using now) are 2" thick for an R8 insulation value, but as you point out, air sealing will have a huge effect regardless of how much insulation I have up there.

Then we put on layer two of the board insulation. With both layers up we should be approaching R13. This gets caulked/foamed, and then we put VB over it.

I didn't tear out the knee walls, so there is still opportunity for cold air coming in down low. I have no idea what insulation in the exterior wall looks like. At this time I have no intention of finding out. The lower level has blown cellulose in the walls, then tar paper for a VB.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2016, 05:35:50 AM »
So snowplow season is upon us...

On Saturday afternoon the neighbours stopped by for a chat and to see how what we were up to. Its the first time someone has rung the bell at barnhouse, and to be honest I didn't realise that the buzzing noise was someone dropping by for a visit.

In any case, I had gotten a price for snowplowing from the landscaper who dug up the backyard for the sewer connection. He had quoted us $125 per push to clear both driveways, on an annual contract - or a seasonal contract of $1200 with unlimited pushes. Its one of those things where you have to choose your gamble. If you think global warming isn't on your side, you go with the unlimited annual contract. If you think it will be a light winter, the per-push deal is better. The neighbour was stopping by in a follow-up to that conversation.

The neighbour and I had talked about this deal, and decided we would keep it in our back pocket, but since he had more local contacts, and more time he'd shop around town to see what he could find. Because of how the laneway is laid out, one of the critical components of barnhouse is that whoever we go with for plowing has to be a shared cost, but because my lot is the first on the laneway, I have ultimate control. If I don't plow my 100ft of laneway, the neighbours can't reach their house. Basically if I wanted to be a prick, I could refuse to plow, and they would have to foot the bill to clear snow from my frontage.

Lucky for us, the neighbour is also a cheapskate, and while we both were happy to have a price on snow clearing neither of us were particularly excited about paying our share of a $125 bill. Over the week, they had priced a variety of options and found a guy a block away who would do the job for $75 per push. Almost half the money. The only challenge was that he would do a quick and dirty job in the morning, then hit his commercial contracts and come back to clean up at the end of the day. This was fine for both of us. Once the snow banks got too high, the plow dude would come in with a loader to level them out. Sounds almost perfect.

I asked for receipts, and to make sure that the snow was not pushed up against the garage. Looks like we have snow clearing settled. Another plus in my books - the plow dude is a plumber. Now I have 2 trades to work with in town. If he does a decent job, I can use him moving forward to the next unit.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
Good questions.

Where the gaps are large enough, it will be spray foam. The rest gets caulked to the rafters. Over the caulk goes tuck tape as the final seal. The first layeer of boards (the ones I am using now) are 2" thick for an R8 insulation value, but as you point out, air sealing will have a huge effect regardless of how much insulation I have up there.

Then we put on layer two of the board insulation. With both layers up we should be approaching R13. This gets caulked/foamed, and then we put VB over it.

I didn't tear out the knee walls, so there is still opportunity for cold air coming in down low. I have no idea what insulation in the exterior wall looks like. At this time I have no intention of finding out. The lower level has blown cellulose in the walls, then tar paper for a VB.

At this point I've decided on polyiso, even though it will be pricy ($55 per 4x8 sheet).  My rafters are only 4" deep (ugh), and there's a nearby building supply store that sells 3" thick foil-faced polyiso (which is better for the environment than XPS is - http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/calculating-global-warming-impact-insulation , and more R-value per inch than EPS) at R-20.  That should be a significant upgrade from our current 3.5" R-13 fiberglass batts which are falling down and not the least bit air-sealed. I plan to do it the same way you're doing it, except I'll squirt some PL300 on the sides to function as both adhesive and air seal, and then pretty much do what you're doing with caulk/spray foam on the seams and tape over that.  I'm not sure which tape to use yet; 3M 8067 is my standard go-to seam tape, unless there's something specifically designed for polyiso boards.  3" of foam board should leave a nice 1" ventilation gap, which can be filled in when the roof is redone.  Thermal bridges will be an issue until the roof gets redone, but that's life..

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
Wow, Prospector! Hadn't caught up to this thread in a few weeks. You have done an amazing amount of work! You are super-skilled and motivated.

Our rental, which is now listed for sale, has laminate floors (we didn't put them in but they were brand new when we bought). I think they actually look quite nice and seem durable so far. They are wide plank, medium brown, and slightly textured, so they hide dirt and scratches well.

I love that house HowToLou! There are no old brick houses where I grew up so those brick farmhouses were one of the first things I noticed when I moved to Ontario. I see so many gorgeous ones that are falling apart when we drive in the country that it makes me a bit sad.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »
Once drywall is up, we go into flooring mode.  I'm keeping an eye on the costs of various options there. Laminate is cheap, looks cheap, and may or may not wear well depending on the paper and backing. Engineered is less cheap, looks less cheap, and wears about the same as hardwood, depending on the finish. Vinyl looks like the best option, but will telegraph the (crappy) subfloor through itself.

What do others have in rentals for entryway, livingroom, dining room, bedrooms?

I LOVE laminate. Maybe that's weird and unhealthy, but I've installed at least 4 different laminate floors over the past decade.  It's just SO easy to install, and so robust in the face of people (*cough* kids) abusing it.

I like low-maintenance floors that, when mopped, actually *look* clean.  I've ripped out top-nailed oak hardwood flooring because the nails pop up and the gouges and cracks in the floor collect too much dust. Obviously, I've ripped out plenty of god-awful carpet.  I've looked into hardwood, engineered hardwood, and cork options.  Each have their own problems, mostly related to either maintenance or discoloration.  Laminate is far more robust, even the cheapest 7mm stuff (which I've been installing in the main floor of my house for $0.59/sq ft).  I've never used Pergo (seriously, $3/sq ft?), but I've done some fancy 10mm laminate, and have pretty much decided that 8mm is the sweet spot between price and quality.  The biggest issues I've had with laminate: some of the 7mm stuff has poor locking, so gaps open up on long (20+ ft) runs.  I glued those gaps and it seems to work, but I haven't had drastic temperature fluctuations since then I tried that.  Also be wary of the super shiny laminate in bright rooms; it will forever show smudges which detract from the look.  Keep plenty of spare boards around, and fixing issues is pretty easy.

Does it look cheap?  I don't think so.  Does it feel cheap?  It depends on how you install it and the type you use.  I've been using 1/4" cork as an underlayment, and it feels (and sounds) pretty much the same as engineered hardwood planks.

Here's the 7mm stuff in my kid's room (excuse the mess, we spent most of the evening trying to alternately bribe and punish him into cleaning up).  I love it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:30:38 PM by dilinger »

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2016, 08:59:27 PM »
My stairs & upstairs are laminate planks. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.driftwood-hickory-laminate-flooring-1894-sq-ft--case.1000711505.html
They look fine. You can tell it's laminate, but it's not in your face about it. It's easy to clean, incredibly resilient in the face of dragged furniture, 130 lb dog, rowdy children, etc. And so easy to install. I was doubtful before, but now I'm 100% in team laminate.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »
Our basement flooded and the laminate floors all rippled,  like truly warped.  When the water dried out, the floors went back to normal.   Couldn't believe it.  They are 10+ years old and still look great.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:58 PM »
Our basement flooded and the laminate floors all rippled,  like truly warped.  When the water dried out, the floors went back to normal.   Couldn't believe it.  They are 10+ years old and still look great.

Wow. That I've never heard of, that's incredibly lucky!

My cat puked on the edge of an uninstalled board of laminate while I was doing an installation.  It swelled up and didn't go back down. :)

BTW, if you do decide on laminate: my laminate cutter is great: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-Laminate-Cutter-for-Cross-Cutting-up-to-8-in-Wide-10-35/202501850

You'll still want a jigsaw and circular saw handy, but being able to cut next to the installation spot without creating tons of dust was well worth the $50. No need for a mitre saw.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:42:58 PM by dilinger »

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2016, 11:41:40 PM »
I used just a jigsaw with a dull blade, and used a bathroom sink as a sawhorse. It sucked. Do not be like Snacky.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2016, 04:10:00 AM »
The rental we currently occupy has large tiles through everywhere and laminate wood where I think it used to be carpet.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2016, 06:26:20 AM »
The rental we currently occupy has large tiles through everywhere and laminate wood where I think it used to be carpet.

Tile scares me in this place. The house is moving too much , so there is a lot of potential for tiles to pop. And I want to keep the dead load as low as possible. I just don't trust those old beams.

I do think I'm going to do laminate, but it is as funny as hell watching the poor dog try to move around on the laminate that's already in the kitchen. Poor mutt's feet are going everywhere, but mostly sideways. it's slicker n' seal snot in an ice flow as they say. Snacky - are your stars slippy? Did you put down a runner on them?

Is there a different grade of "textured" laminate that isn't so slick? Even the stuff I put in the kids' playroom here is great for playing hockey on in socks.