Just puttering. Nothing really reportable.
OK, I lied.
Remember back in the early days of Barnhouse where I cut the beam out of the basement and framed a wall to take up the load? Well, I was never really happy with how that wall went in, so last night after J2 went to bed I tore it out, laminated up a beam of 2X10's (4-ply) And set it in where the wall had been. I used 3 jackposts in place of the wall framing to take the load, and I think I took most of the sag out of the floor above that way.
Not sure if you remember, but when I did this before I posted the pic showing the lift I got on the floor, but then lost when I framed in the wall. This go 'round I've gotten all that lift back, and the depth of the beam, and the point loading of the columns means more control on how the floor is lifted.
I mean there is still deflection in one plane, but I did eliminate a pretty big dip where the worst of the sag had been. I maxed out my piston jack (blew the seal on it) and the columns just spin if I try to get more lift out of the jack screws, which tells me I'm at the top of loading for them as well. While I've gotten rid of the sag, I need about another 1/2" to get things proper. Next weekend after things have settled to the new alignment I may attack again with a heavier piece of lifting equipment. If I can take the weight off the coulumns by applying a point load beside them, I am confident I can get the floor up on a level plane. Meanwhile, Its a race against drywall dude. I need to get this done before he applies mud and finishes the living room above, otherwise I'll be cracking fresh drywall.
The way I see it, the floor is "close enough" now. If he beats me to it, my work is done. If I get there first, the floor will get its additional lift.
Also the plumber is coming back "soon" to rough in basement fixtures. Supposed to talk to him tomorrow.