Sun Hat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:24:57 PM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 10:40:57 AM by Sun Hat »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Taking a piano apart for scrap
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »
I've never dealt with it, but if you google "piano salvage" or "piano recycling" you get a lot of hits!

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 08:42:54 PM »
I'm a pianist. Please please please be careful when dealing with the strings. DO NOT TRY TO CUT THEM. They are under intense pressure and could very well cause injury if you break them and it recoils back to you.

Mr Griz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:41:12 AM »
I did it with on old upright. The hardest part was getting the harp into my truck to haul off. It was surprisingly heavy. As adamR18 notes the strings can be pretty tight but there is really no reason to remove them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »
Go to ebay and see what piano parts people are selling. You might be able to sell the pedals and other stuff and make some moola!

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
If you have a visually beautiful piano but the expensive guts inside are broken and not cost effective to repair, you might also consider replacing the innards with an electronic keyboard and speakers. There are many models that have weights that are similar (but alas not exactly) like playing an acoustic instrument.

It would be a much bigger project, but might be fun.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »
What would you want to do with the wood?

I'm big on recycling but would be tossing all the metal on my trailer with other metal scrap and wood into my wood furnace. 

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 07:19:54 AM »
That kind of attitude towards consumption sickens me! "This piano needs tuning. We should just throw it out and get another."

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
That kind of attitude towards consumption sickens me! "This piano needs tuning. We should just throw it out and get another."

I get what you're saying, but you sound like someone who has never tried to give away an old piano (especially a shitty old piano). It's usually not "let's throw this out and get another," often more like, "I don't want this piano (that was maybe here when I moved in because the last owners didn't want to move it, because moving pianos is hard) cluttering up my house anymore, and no one will take it away for free."

I remember when we tried to get rid of my first childhood piano (it was a freebie from a relative and we bought a nicer-sounding and -looking one for a few hundred bucks). We kept both pianos for years because no one would take the old one. People would come and look at it and then complain that it wasn't in good enough shape or that it would be too hard to get it out of the house. I'm glad Sun Hat's mom's piano has found someone who wants it!