Author Topic: T10 Torx bit broke off inside sink handle - how to get out?  (Read 3611 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
T10 Torx bit broke off inside sink handle - how to get out?
« on: November 01, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
Hey all,

I've been trying to brainstorm how to remove a T10 Torx bit that broke off in the screw head which sits probably 1/2-3/4 inches inside a small recessed hole (this is the screw to keep one of the faucet handles in place). I'm not quite sure how to get it out but I have a punch set. I tapped it but noticed the punch head is flattening out so I don't want to keep doing that and ruining the punch. Any other suggestions? I don't want to damage the screw head in doing this - just want to figure out how to shatter the bit that's broken off. What's hard is that it isn't level either so if I were to drill in, I'd definitely risk messing up the screw. Seems like it's a lose-lose but I was wanting to replace the faucet anyway eventually, just not right now if I don't have to lol.

Thoughts?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: T10 Torx bit broke off inside sink handle - how to get out?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »
Is the Torx head steel and the screw brass? If so, a magnet could potentially pull it out if it's not wedged too hard.

Also, can you still remove the screw with or without the chunk still in there without mangling the handle itself? If you can't get the bit of driver out but you can get the screw out with a screw extractor, your next best option is to track down and buy a replacement mounting screw for the handle. Depending on the make and model of the faucet, a replacement might be had with a quick trip to Ace/True Value/Home Depot/Lowes and either their plumbing or hardware departments (Ace and True Value will have the superior hardware selections)... otherwise, you may have to special order. Shouldn't be more than a couple-three bucks at screaming max, though.

Note for the future, though, and why you may have broken off a Torx head... it's not outside the realm of possibility that the screw is Torx, but usually handle screws on faucets are straight hex inset and require an Allen wrench. Don't substitute Torx for Allens, and pay for higher quality on both Torx and Allen tools for the smaller sizes, or you may find yourself repeating this incident. At minimum, get hardened chrome vanadium.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:16:02 PM by Daley »

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 07:32:43 AM »
Without actually seeing the situation, my approach would be to take the broken tool, smear the tiniest film of 5 minute epoxy on it, and try to get it to bond back to the broken tip, then back the whole thing out.  Maybe not possible if you've been hitting the tip with a punch

I've spent entire afternoons fighting broken bolts on engine blocks... If this is a faucet you want to replace anyway, I'd consider just doing it now

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 11:51:37 AM »
Hey all,

I've been trying to brainstorm how to remove a T10 Torx bit that broke off in the screw head which sits probably 1/2-3/4 inches inside a small recessed hole (this is the screw to keep one of the faucet handles in place). I'm not quite sure how to get it out but I have a punch set. I tapped it but noticed the punch head is flattening out so I don't want to keep doing that and ruining the punch. Any other suggestions? I don't want to damage the screw head in doing this - just want to figure out how to shatter the bit that's broken off. What's hard is that it isn't level either so if I were to drill in, I'd definitely risk messing up the screw. Seems like it's a lose-lose but I was wanting to replace the faucet anyway eventually, just not right now if I don't have to lol.

Thoughts?

How much of the T10 bit is protruding from the screw head?

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »
Both magnet and epoxi came to mind.  Well, actually, I was going to ask if you just happen to have a mig welder.  Weld a small rod to the end of the bit, then yank it out.

Maybe bang the whole thing on a vice?

I don't know.  Get the price for brass, scrap it and start over again with a new faucet?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
Yeap, lesson learned trying to use that thing... I did't have an allen wrench on hand so thought it might be a great idea to try. The screw is really stuck in there probably from lime/calcium buildup which didn't help things.

Since I've pounded at it with a punch, it's probably even more stuck in there and it's probably pretty flush with the screw head at this point. I don't have a mig welder either.

Here's the damage:

Seems like just replacing the faucet might be a good idea lol. I'm assuming I shouldn't need to have to remove the handle though to remove the entire faucet if I am planning to pull it out? I hope not, otherwise I'm going to be making close friends with the dremel and saw which I prefer not to do for extended periods of time :T

px4shooter

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
Torx in a hex key.... yep, it is likely stuck in there very well. Considering it broke, I would say you are screwed. Yes, you could drill it, but I would yank the faucet out to even consider it. Some of those set screws have this walls, so you need to be careful. A hardened bit sucks to drill.

Is it a brand with a lifetime warranty? I have had good luck with Moen sending me replacement parts.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:14:37 AM »
You might be able to save it. I'd try using a screw extractor even with the tip of the torx still in there. If you can do that and remove the screw you can likely just replace it still.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!