Author Topic: Squirrel guard for lead boots on stacks  (Read 1931 times)

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
Squirrel guard for lead boots on stacks
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:44:34 AM »
We recently had a roofer look at our roof to determine how many years left we have (3-7) and he mentioned that the lead flashings on some of our stacks (2 in particular) had been chewed up by squirrels.  I went up and took some pictures.  We could have them replace the boots and install guards (4) for $620.

I found Squirrelgards (https://www.squirrelgard.com/) that say you can use them without replacing the boots.  They're ~$35 each.

1) Anyone used Squirrelgards before?  Are they easy to install?  Do I really not need to replace the lead flashing first?
2) Is there a better guard I should use instead?
3) Should I do all of the stacks (based on the pictures)?
4) Anything else I should know / consider?

Thanks!

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
Re: Squirrel guard for lead boots on stacks
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »
Bump.

Anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks!

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »
I just found this, which is an alternative: http://critterquitter.com/

If anyone has experience with these (or with this problem in general) I'd be grateful for it.

Thanks!

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:48:51 AM »
I just found this, which is an alternative: http://critterquitter.com/

If anyone has experience with these (or with this problem in general) I'd be grateful for it.

Thanks!

Good luck.

The only method I had success with with eradication. Grisly work if you don't have the stomach for it.  Luckily, the squirrels in my area are all the invasive type and are fair game for that. 

I think... it's usually a problem individual that develops a taste for the lead. Maybe try trapping/eliminating a few squirrels with a trap near the problem area?

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
Good luck.

The only method I had success with with eradication. Grisly work if you don't have the stomach for it.  Luckily, the squirrels in my area are all the invasive type and are fair game for that. 

I think... it's usually a problem individual that develops a taste for the lead. Maybe try trapping/eliminating a few squirrels with a trap near the problem area?

Interesting!  It's seems kind of widespread from what I've read, and there are TONS of squirrels in my neighborhood.  I could try trapping, but I think I'll try one of the guards first.

accolay

• Pencil Stache

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!