Author Topic: Snowblower repair kicked my ass  (Read 3054 times)

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
Snowblower repair kicked my ass
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
Not really a do it yourself example, but kind of. 

My drive belt went on my 40 year old snowblower last year.  Recently I ordered two different belts on line, neither fit.  I bought another from a local shop that was 3/8" instead of 1/2" hoping it would work, since they didn't have the 1/2 inch. No good.  So after about 6 hours of spending my own time repairing and looking on line and driving time, I decided I would hire a local guy to fix it. 

This guy was able to replace the belt, and also fixed an issue where only 1 wheel had power to it, I also had him do an oil change.  (I normally do that but it's a PITA and he said he would only change an extra $7 for it).  He also conveniently picked up and dropped off the snowblower.   Total cost $200. 

I wish I had known it would only cost me $200 before I wasted 6 hours of my time and about $45 in lost shipping fees and return shipping fees to Amazon.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
Re: Snowblower repair kicked my ass
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »

My drive belt went on my 40 year old snowblower last year.  Recently I ordered two different belts on line, neither fit.  I bought another from a local shop that was 3/8" instead of 1/2" hoping it would work, since they didn't have the 1/2 inch. No good.  So after about 6 hours of spending my own time repairing and looking on line and driving time, I decided I would hire a local guy to fix it. 

This guy was able to replace the belt, and also fixed an issue where only 1 wheel had power to it, I also had him do an oil change.  (I normally do that but it's a PITA and he said he would only change an extra $7 for it).  He also conveniently picked up and dropped off the snowblower.   Total cost $200. 

I wish I had known it would only cost me $200 before I wasted 6 hours of my time and about $45 in lost shipping fees and return shipping fees to Amazon.

Only $200?  Shit...
Are you sure this shouldn't be in the AntiMustachian forum?

Not sure if I agree with you.  The truly AntiMustachian thing to do would be to hire someone for about $600 each year to plow my driveway like most people do around here.  I also say buying a new $2,000 (or more) could also fall in that category.  I don't see anything wrong with putting $200 into a snowblower that should be good for a few more years, and it's not like I didn't try to DIY.  Time was also of the essence with Christmas setting in, and home renos to finish before company arrives.  Not to mention the storm we have coming tomorrow.  Sure, I could shovel, but that takes a lot of time, and we did that for half of last winter.

So that being said, I totally disagree with you now that I've thought about it more.  I would be interested to hear others thoughts
on if I went the Antimistachian route on this.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:24:21 AM »

Only $200?  Shit...
Are you sure this shouldn't be in the AntiMustachian forum?

Not sure if I agree with you.  The truly AntiMustachian thing to do would be to hire someone for about $600 each year to plow my driveway like most people do around here.  I also say buying a new $2,000 (or more) could also fall in that category.  I don't see anything wrong with putting $200 into a snowblower that should be good for a few more years, and it's not like I didn't try to DIY.  Time was also of the essence with Christmas setting in, and home renos to finish before company arrives.  Not to mention the storm we have coming tomorrow.  Sure, I could shovel, but that takes a lot of time, and we did that for half of last winter.

So that being said, I totally disagree with you now that I've thought about it more.  I would be interested to hear others thoughts
on if I went the Antimistachian route on this.

I agree with you.  Snowblowers are a pain in the ass and 200$ is nothing. The MMM thing to do is to try and fix it yourself which you did and at the end of the day 200$ would of been cheaper for some vs the time you invested BUT kudos for you trying. And heck I think you said its 40 years old so you have been very MMM. I would though suggest start saving a little and looking around for something newer because it might be at the point it will nickel and dime you to death. In some areas like where I live and the amount of space there is no way I could keep up with the snow either without a heavy duty snowblower and plow rates would be double the cost. 

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
I had a similar experience with my snowblower.

I bought a used Ariens that was almost brand new, but sat for a few years.  It was tuned up right before the sale, and works great!

First time I went to use it, I ripped the recoil cord out.  I found the replacement string on Amazon for $7, finally got around to removing the assembly and restringing it, and the recoil spring (~6' long piece of coiled metal that wants to straighten out) undid itself.  Wound it all back up, but then it wouldn't catch where it needed to.

After much YouTube, I figured out that the bend at the tip wasn't correct.  I couldn't get it right though, so I started calling places to buy a new assembly for $50.  After not finding one locally, I figured I had nothing to lose and bent the spring more.  That fixed it, and the snowblower works like new again.

As I was installing it, I realized that the machine has electric start.

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »
I had a similar experience with my snowblower.

I bought a used Ariens that was almost brand new, but sat for a few years.  It was tuned up right before the sale, and works great!

First time I went to use it, I ripped the recoil cord out.  I found the replacement string on Amazon for $7, finally got around to removing the assembly and restringing it, and the recoil spring (~6' long piece of coiled metal that wants to straighten out) undid itself.  Wound it all back up, but then it wouldn't catch where it needed to.

After much YouTube, I figured out that the bend at the tip wasn't correct.  I couldn't get it right though, so I started calling places to buy a new assembly for $50.  After not finding one locally, I figured I had nothing to lose and bent the spring more.  That fixed it, and the snowblower works like new again.

As I was installing it, I realized that the machine has electric start.

Ouch!

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life, I was thinking about posting an update.

I've since used my snowblower 3 more times, and I will be using it again tomorrow thanks to our latest nor'easter.  It works great, much better than before, it doesn't quite throw the snow like a new one, but still well worth the $200 repair.   Hopefully I get a few more years out of it yet!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »
Hey go look at the belts while they are newish and write down the part numbers on the belts. Next time they wear out you'll know exactly what to search for.

skeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »
True mustachian's use a shovel.

Anti-Mustachian's hire it out.

You're somewhere in the middle. :)