Author Topic: Sheetrock repair on high ceiling  (Read 4424 times)

thenewguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sheetrock repair on high ceiling
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »
Long story short - I've got a section of sheetrock in a 2nd story foyer/entryway ceiling (~18ft up) that needs to be replaced due to water damage from an A/C leak.

The catch is that the spot is just about centered over the banister 3/4 of the way to the top of the staircase. The edge of the spot it is just far enough out over the staircase that I don't think it can be completed from a ladder on the stairs. I started marking and cutting from a double sided ladder, but got to the point of having to lean out pretty far over the banister to reach the far edge.

I had a handyman come take a look - he tried setting up scaffolding from the ground level, but the entryway is not wide enough to set up the outriggers, and the platform wasn't stable enough without them... He ended up declining the job since he didn't think he could do it safely either.

I'd considered renting a scissor lift, but the entry way is tile and I'm afraid it would get cracked. A long extension ladder w/ a standoff would be at too steep an angle unless I removed the banister first (not sure I'm up for that).

Any ideas? The only other thing that's crossed my mind has been to try and DIY a temporary scaffold/platform from 2x4s that would essentially straddle the banister - one side resting on the stairs and the other on the ground floor.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Sheetrock repair on high ceiling
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »
If you have about 5'-6' square of open floor area under it and a way to get the tool in there, you could rent a one man "hi-jacker" vertical lift to access it.
Electricians and plumbers use these all the time.   Most commercial tool rental houses have one.

Other options would be to hand build a wood scaffold or rent some aluminum tube & clamp type scaffold.  If your knowledge of this kind of stuff is minimal, hire it out and suck it up and pay so you don't get hurt.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:17:12 AM »
Climbing harness, 2 quickdraws, and some eyebolts. Insert eyebolts into ceiling joists, clip in, and you're good to go.

You'll need a way to get up there so climbing holds in the wall will be needed as well.

Also, throw down a climbing pad underneath you.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »
Werner ladder? They make a 26 footer I believe, see if you cant borrow one?

My other idea would be attached a few 2x4s to either side of the wall and put a piece of plywood there to stand on? I mean yeah its gonna mark up the walls with screw holes, but your already going to be doing some patching and painting anyways? No idea if that will work, but in such tight quarters it might be your best bet?

TrMama

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
I had to access a similar sounding patch of ceiling to paint it a couple years ago. Scaffolding (my first choice) was too wide to fit in the stairwell. I took some photos and measurements of the space and headed down to the local equipment rental place. The guys there set me up with a 2 ladder and platform system. Since we already had both ladders I only had to rent the platform for $20.

I set up a basic A frame ladder at the top of the stairs. An extension ladder was at the bottom with it's top resting against the wall opposite of the staircase. The platform rested on the upper rungs of both ladders. Getting it set up was a 2 person job, and climbing on it required some nerves, but it was plenty stable enough. I was easily able to reach the entire ceiling and the upper walls so I could paint everything.

http://www.greenwoodindianapolispainterpainting.com/how-to-paint-stairwell/

Pro tip: Make sure you pull all the painters tape down before you return the rented gear. I'll have painter's tape around the light fixture hanging above the stairs forever.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
Climbing harness, 2 quickdraws, and some eyebolts. Insert eyebolts into ceiling joists, clip in, and you're good to go.

My other idea would be attached a few 2x4s to either side of the wall and put a piece of plywood there to stand on?

Check your insurance policy before attempting either of the above.
Sounds like good ways to get seriously injured.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »

My other idea would be attached a few 2x4s to either side of the wall and put a piece of plywood there to stand on?

It's perfectly safe! People climb cliffs all the time with that gear and you're clipped in with two anchors. In fact, to get a good start on the day, you could rig up a climbing bivouac. Put another eyebolt in and use it to haul up gear and food (and send down your, ahem, opaque bottle).

;-)

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:03:33 AM »
It's perfectly safe!
...if the hardware and structural elements you use for anchors is adequate.

I think the 2 ladders and a platform solution sounds the most frugal if you can make it work in your situation.

I'm pretty sure I'd be more comfortable working from a sissor lift, so I'd shop arround for the best rental available for you job requirements. You could put down a couple layers of plywood with staggered seams to distribute the weight and reduce the risk of damage to the tile.

TrMama

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »

It's perfectly safe! People climb cliffs all the time with that gear and you're clipped in with two anchors. In fact, to get a good start on the day, you could rig up a climbing bivouac. Put another eyebolt in and use it to haul up gear and food (and send down your, ahem, opaque bottle).

;-)

But then how do you get up there to remove the hardware and patch the holes when you're done?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »

;-)

But then how do you get up there to remove the hardware and patch the holes when you're done?

Borrow or rent a Werner or Little Giant ladder or two and set up a platform. Duh.

thenewguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »
All - thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'll end up attempting a variation of the "2 ladder" method. If I can't make that work, a vertical lift with plywood on the tile might be plan B.

The climbing suggestion is tempting too... But perhaps a bit adventurous for me at the moment ;-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!