Author Topic: Second hand IKEA furniture  (Read 2732 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Second hand IKEA furniture
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:27:07 PM »
We just bought a second hand IKEA bunk bed for our kids from a guy at my work who is leaving town.  After an initial moment of panic when my husband thought an essential part was missing now we've realized that only a few weird IKEA screws are not there.  We're going to IKEA on the weekend to see if we can buy those screws.  I kind of remember that there is an area near the exit where you can just buy various types of IKEA screws - not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

We also noticed that the bed sags a little bit in the middle - not a ton but a little bit.  The colleague told me that only his 12 year old has slept there but I guess IKEA stuff wears out quickly.  I read somewhere on the internet that if you don't care about taking sometime apart later, it can be helpful to put a bit of hot glue on all the joints and screws in IKEA furniture - anyone else done this?

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
Re: Second hand IKEA furniture
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
the screws are located at the Return station and are free if in stock. Can you just buy new slats for the bed? I think they are about $20. Or put your own slats down with a better wood. I've seen people DIY the slats for durability.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:05 PM »
Glue is a good idea if furniture is wobbly or squeaks but start with getting the screws in there that are supposed to be there.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:27:09 AM »
You can probably replace some of the middle slats with some of the outer slats.

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 01:17:27 AM »
To save even more can just take the good ones from each side and put them in the middle?
The middle ones would be the one with the most "damage"

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:03:07 AM »
Unfortunately, this IKEA bunk bed doesn't have slats - it kind of has a metal 'net' which sags a bit in the middle.

Sjalabais

• Bristles
  • King of Chocolatistan
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
Put slats on top of the metal  net? Almost our entire house is 2nd hand furniture. We've found that even IKEA has two tier quality: Some furniture is basically made of paper. We replaced a '60s sofa, a formidable piece of furniture manufacturering skill, with an IKEA sofa bought on 90% discount (the colour we wanted anyway was on the way out). Playing in it with the kids, we discovered that the side walls are barely attached to the rest of the sofa; they and the back end are very thin compressed wood cuttings. Other furniture, like our kitchen chairs and table, are solid wood IKEA products. Can't do wrong with those.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
Unfortunately, this IKEA bunk bed doesn't have slats - it kind of has a metal 'net' which sags a bit in the middle.
Plywood

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »
Plywood

Ours were not ikea but we did exactly this with our kids' bunk beds.  Doesn't need to be all that thick, either.  1/4" is fine. 

For securing the screws, get either wood glue or if you have elmer's white glue, that's fine.  You don't need a lot.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  We might do that plywood thing as the daughter who slept on the top bunk complained of back pain today.

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
We have an Ikea bunk bed (this one) that sounds similar. Ours has always had a little sag on the top bunk (not sure about the bottom since it isn't visible) and the kids who sleeps on it is only 75lbs.

Adding plywood or a bunkie board would take care of it for sure, though we haven't had any complaints yet about comfort. We did use a regular twin mattress though (that was the reccomended height for the top bunk - not taller than 5 inches I think) and not one of the thinner Ikea foamish mattresses they always have on it at the store.