Author Topic: Screws  (Read 13960 times)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Screws
« on: July 08, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »
I have a window air conditioner that I put in place today. Didn't work, so I took the cover off.. fan was stuck. Ok.

Now, putting everything back, one screw is spinning. And also one screw that I use to attach it to the window frame is spinning as well.

Presumably because the metal and plastic I'm screwing to is relatively thin, and the threads are toast. Ok.

What do I do? Just buy slightly bigger screws of the same length? 'Coarse' ones? These things are obviously not meant to be unscrewed and rescrewed multiple times. But the window, at least, needs putting in and out once a year.

I can't put something else along the window frame as it overlaps when the window is closed.

I am... not that handy. Not terrible, but not much experience. I mean, this is *minor* minor, right? Ideally I'd take the damn things out, put nuts on the other side and bolt into them with nice big washers... but I can't do that with the window.

*Edit* AFAIK nothing's going to fall out as it currently is, I just hate it when things aren't at least mostly right.

There are three screws along the guillotine window that hold it to the a/c unit, they are not load bearing but they hold the adjustable wings - whatever you call them, the things that fill the gap between the unit and the edges - out, and the one in the center is extra/just stopping the window being opened.

I want it to feel *solid*.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:07:27 PM by daverobev »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Screws
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:58:25 PM »
... photos would help...

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
For the screw into the window frame;  assuming the window frame is wood, put a toothpick into the screw hole and break it off (leaving a bit of the toothpick in the hole).  Then screw the screw in.

'metal and plastic' is to generic to base advice on.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »
*snip*
There are three screws along the guillotine window that hold it to the a/c unit, they are not load bearing but they hold the adjustable wings - whatever you call them, the things that fill the gap between the unit and the edges - out, and the one in the center is extra/just stopping the window being opened.

We put duct tape on ours to hold the wings (or whatever) out and seal up the window, skipping screws entirely.  It is better than putting holes in a rental apartment window frame.  Your results may vary.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 09:59:19 AM »
*snip*

We put duct tape on ours to hold the wings (or whatever) out and seal up the window, skipping screws entirely.  It is better than putting holes in a rental apartment window frame.  Your results may vary.

Won't that leave a massive mess on the a/c unit and on the frame though? Do you take yours out in the winter?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
*snip*

Won't that leave a massive mess on the a/c unit and on the frame though? Do you take yours out in the winter?

That is a good question.  Yes, the A/C comes out for winter.  DBF usually puts the A/C in for the summer.  Hmm.  Maybe he has been using gaff/gaffer tape instead?  I think that pulls away cleanly.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!