Author Topic: Roof blown off - Ceiling Collapsed, Kitchen Flooded - Figuring it out  (Read 2502 times)

jc4

• Stubble
Greeting Mustacians,

A new saga begins, a 250 sqft secton of our roof blew off in a storm last night. To say the ceiling collapsed is an understatement. Everything's flooded. There's no sheetrock on the ceiling. I spent til 3 am retacking shingles to the roof (with nails reipped out of said shingles) and putting tarps on the roof.

But we're mustacians, SO our 10k deductible and 40% roof policy may not be that helpful. This should prove to be a perfect opportunity for some DIYing and voluntary discomfort!

I'm currenty deliberating whether to start fighting insurance or go to home depot and buy shingles today. I'll probably have this thread as a journal of the experience, and I'll link to specific question posts as I go. The first two, I'm thinking how to handle insurance and what material to use for the new roof.

I'll post links to specific questions here as I go.

1. What material to use for the kitchen roof / main roof?
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/new-roof-part-shingled-part-rolled-roof/

2. How to handle insurance claims? I've never done this.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/first-hoi-claim-new-roof-and-kitchen-repairs!/

Sure to be an adventure.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:50:11 PM by jc4 »

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Roof blown off - Ceiling Collapsed, Kitchen Flooded - Figuring it out
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate this morning! Take a deep breath.

I would start by calling your insurance company. They should have more detail for you. If there was a lot of damage in your area last night it may not hurt to be prompt in calling them as they may be very busy.

A 10k deductible is probably too much to claim if it was just the roof, but with flooding and interior damage it might come out to more. Hard to say without seeing it. I also don't know much about roofing so I can't help there.

It does sound like you have a positive mindset about the whole thing though which is a great start.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:33:40 AM by narrative »

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »
Good luck with your repairs, and glad nobody got hurt.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
Well crap that sounds rather terrible. Call and get an adjuster out there right away. Hes not gonna be pissed if you tarp your roof to mitigate damage.

If your kitchen is damaged like at all your are going to hit your 10k deductible no problem. If your floors/cabinets/paint etc is damaged odds are they should replace all of it or else it wont match and look like crap. Depending on waht they say, I would probably file the claim. "Roof Flying off" is definitely one of the reasons we carry home owners insurance!

I would get dimensional/architectural shingles. 3 tabs suck, dont use. Even if they dont match I would not put them on my house. Dimensional shingles can handle higher wind speed. Pretty much any home store would carry them.

Good luck! Hope for no rain until you get under dry!

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
You are going to be WAY, WAY over $10k in damages.

Seconding what others have said - call your insurance guy/gal ASAP and get someone out there. They are professionals at assessing this kind of damage and they will be able to tell you a lot more than we can.

-W

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »
Pictures or it didn't happen! :)

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »
I've tried about 4 times putting photos up. I'll try again later to get some on here. We've got some good ones.

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »
So sorry that this happened to your house. Has the insurance company gotten back to you?

We had severe hail damage (2x in several weeks) here a couple of years ago. Roof alone was estimated at $40K+, plus the other damages. The claim process was very simple for us, they sent an adjuster out, he went back, called us the same day with how much they were going to pay, and we received the physical check within the same week. We did some of the work ourselves and pocketed the difference.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 04:11:13 PM »
Ours is not nearly that quick. We've had an adjuster out. He said the insurance comapany would probably process his report this week (week 2). Then we'll see. Problem is, he only listed about half the things that were damaged on his report. He said to just have my contractor file an amendment to get the rest covered.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 05:14:33 AM »
Ours is not nearly that quick. We've had an adjuster out. He said the insurance comapany would probably process his report this week (week 2). Then we'll see. Problem is, he only listed about half the things that were damaged on his report. He said to just have my contractor file an amendment to get the rest covered.

You might consider having him come back out. You really want everything documented. I had this trouble with my car claim, but it was the exact same issue. I had 3 different shops look at it and they came up with wildly different ideas on what needed repairs.  Either take a bunch of pictures and submit them TODAY or insist he come back out and look at the other things to add them to the report.

This is a BFD so I would make sure everything is covered. You are paying a 10k deductible they'd better cover all the damage if it was me!

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »
The sheetrock begins to fall. About midnight.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
This was taken the next morning, but that's the state we left it in to go to bed. About 2 am.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »
Was told "it could be worse." Started removing sheetrock. It is in fact worse. 2pm next day. 

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »
Here's where the wind blew the section of the roof free again the next afternoon.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »
Let me say first off, that sucks, feel your pain, been there done that...

I know if feels like a disaster (and it is) but it's not THAT BAD of a disaster. Also, I'm not a professional builder, although I have done a lot of construction, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

From what I can tell by the pictures, you have two paths (considering the 10k deductible). Option 1 (if you're handy, don't mind getting dirty and have the time) is to just take care of the problem yourself. I'm basing this on the pictures you posted so there may be something I'm missing...but from what I can tell, you need to repair a section of roof and redo a section of drywall. There is also insulation to take care of and the mold/rot concern. I would do the following:

1) Inspect the roof decking for swelling or other damage. OSB does not like to get wet and will swell. If it's OK, then great, if not...I'd re-deck the damaged areas. I'd do this immediately. Next, I'd reinstall new roofing felt (or Tyvek..whatever floats your boat) and get the section over the kitchen dried in as quickly as possible to avoid further damage.

2) I'd rip out all of the damaged insulation from the attic and drywall from the kitchen. You will want to rent a dumpster (they are not expensive). Section off the damaged area of your house with plastic and duct tape to help keep the dust down.

3) I'd get some fans going in the attic to keep the air moving and get everything nice and dry. You can pre-emp any mold issues by spraying the decking and trusses with RMR-86. I'd let the fans run a couple of days-a week..however long it takes to dry everything out. During that time I'd track down exactly what brand/type/style of roof shingles you have and buy however many squares will be needed for the damaged sections. I'd also check out any wiring that may have gotten wet. Pay an electrician for two hours of his time to have a look see if you don't have an electrician buddy that will do it for beer.

4) Inspect any roof penetrations (vents, chimneys, etc) for any damage.

5) Once everything is nice and dry I'd re-roof the damaged sections. Roofing is pretty straight forward and it's a simply process to learn (YouTube has a million how-to videos). Now your house is weather-tight again.

6) Assuming all is good with mechanicals in the attic (and it's nice and dry) you can move onto sheet rock. Again, it's a simply process to hang sheet rock, although you probably will want a buddy. Panels are heavy and a PITA to handle.

7) Hanging sheet rock is straight forward...taping and finishing may be something you'll want to hire out....just depends. Good tape and finish=nice looking wall. Shitty tape and finish=you'll hate it forever and so will your wife.

8) Re insulate....rent a machine from Home Depot and use the blown in stuff of your choice...rockwool/fiberglass/whatever. Depth determines R-Value so you'd need to check with your codes for what's needed (R-38? R-50?). Paint...clean up...beer thirty.

Option 1 see's you spending $5,000 (plus or minus...you may need to rent tools,pay for permits, etc...again based on what I can see by the pictures) and you do all the work and coordinate any needed inspections. I don't know if you need new cabinets or flooring...obviously that changes things. It's also two weeks of your life, a lot of bad words and some donations of skin and blood.

Option 2....Pay the 10k deductible and let the contractors handle all of it. You will be out more money, but you only have to deal with the annoyance of various contractors banging away. You also have to deal with the insurance company and any rate changes that get tacked on next year when you renew thanks to this claim.

If you do go the contractor route...remember the line.."I pay when the job is COMPLETE and has PASSED INSPECTION." Use only high quality contractors that you've vetted through Angie's list/BBB/etc. DO NOT HIRE YOUR BROTHER IN LAW! Do nor fall for the "I need a deposit so I can buy materials" line. If they give you that, your response is "I pay when the job is complete and has passed inspection....I will be glad to purchase the materials for you and store them here on site."

Obviously, there is more to consider and I don't have all of the information. But from what I can see your disaster rates a 2 on a scale from "My House Is Perfect" to "My House Just Got Sucked Into The Ocean Along With My Dog."

Personally, I'd just fix it. Skill-wise you're taking about being able to pound nails, measure, lift stuff, carry stuff, etc.

I know it sucks to have to deal with shit like this. Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:30:28 PM by Sailor14 »

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
I've never touched a shingle before and I'm gonna go for replacing my roof myself.

Plan is next weekend (13-14). The pic below is what our roof looks like. It's 18 sqaures of shingles and 1.2 squares of rolled roof.

I'm thinking these shingles:
 https://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Timberline-Natural-Shadow-Pewter-Gray-Lifetime-Architectural-Shingles-with-StainGuard-33-3-sq-ft-Per-Bundle-0600552/100658151

With this rolled roof over the kitchen:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Tri-Ply-3-ft-x-33-ft-100-sq-ft-APP-Granular-White-For-Low-Slope-Roofs-3688920/100031809
I think the white roll, although lame, will still look better than solid black given we're doing grey shingles.
Id rather rebuild the roof and shingle the kitchen, but that's way too much to do.

My materials list is attached. Is there anything I'm not including? I want to minimize work stoppages for materials.

I'll put plain 15 lb underlayment under everything.
I'll put aluminum reinforement in the valleys around the kitchen. Turns out the walls inside are rotted real bad. Since it's still going to stay flat, I want to ensure against additional leaks there.

I'll put a new drip edge all the way around to start. And I'll reflash any pipes / chimney, and replace the vents. I'll use starter shingles at the bottom, and ridge shingles at the top.
I don't have intake vents and there's no ridges for exhaust vents. I'll stick with 4 standard turtle vents unless I get an alternative proposal here.

QQQ: My shingles are self adhering in the sun. Do I need to use a caulk gun to put down that black roof glue under each or is the shingle ok on its own?

Shoot holes in the plan. What am I missing?