Author Topic: Replacing a toilet  (Read 1687 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Replacing a toilet
« on: October 09, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »
Hello, hoping for some tips/advice on choosing and buying a new toilet, since the current one has declined in usability (again. Sigh).

-1919 house, very possibly interesting plumbing.
-Current toilet is modern low flow with something stuck in the base (probably a toy from previous owner's kids) AND there's something wrong with it so that I have to pick between the toilet running or the toilet handle flushing properly. Plumber friend has tried to fix it, innards have been replaced, etc - it's been declared haunted and I'm getting a new toilet.
-I've been told to get a "powerflush"
-on city sewer
-small bathroom, I'd like a smaller toilet
-old house, prefer an older looking style toilet
-the floor will be replaced when that project reaches the top of the list, so I can live with ugly/messed floor up for now. It's already ugly and messed up, a bit more won't hurt.

Obviously, I can do a google search, but that doesn't mean I know what the heck I'm looking at (or what I'm doing). Suggestions on brands, things to look for, information I'll need in picking out a toilet, related pieces I'll need, etc.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: Replacing a toilet
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
I'm not an expert at all, but there are a few things I think I know:

1.  The flooring usually goes under the edge of the toilet base by quite a bit, so if you can do the flooring at the same time it would save you from removing the toilet a second time.

2.  There is a (typically wax) O-ring that goes around the waste pipe in the floor.  I believe those are sold separately and are replaced when one replaces the toilet.

3.  There are different sizes of toilet.  I think the main measurements are the front-to-back distance of the bowl size and possibly distance-from-the-wall-behind-the-toilet.  If I were you I'd measure both of those and take those measurements with you when you go shopping for the replacement.

Around here Lowe's and Home Depot have reasonable selections.  If you have a Habitat for Restore store near you I'd check that out first just to try to be sustainable.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
I think it’s kind of silly - there are like 3 other toilet threads flushing around here!

I go with basic. Round bowl, standard height 14” seat.  I HATE the new comfort/handicap/chair height toilets.  HATE them.

Installation - your flange should sit on or at finish floor.  Make sure it’s not rusted or you might need to replace it. Also, make sure the center of the waste plumbing is 12” from the back of the finished wall. That is normal.  If it’s 10”, you will need to find a toilet to accommodate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »
Cool, thanks. And I'll look again for the other threads, I didn't see anything before, but I'd done a quick scan.

PlainsWalker

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »
The wax rings only stand up to being installed once. The first time I replaced a toilet I bumped the ring off the flange while positioning the toilet and had to make an additional run to the hardware store. There are non-wax rings and I've used one. It hasn't leaked in the two years its been installed and was move forgiving about being re-positioned during the install than a wax ring.
I also highly recommend pulling the old toilet and looking at the flange before doing your hardware store run. Every 50+ year old toilet I've replaced had a rusted out flange that needed to be replaced.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
The wax rings only stand up to being installed once. The first time I replaced a toilet I bumped the ring off the flange while positioning the toilet and had to make an additional run to the hardware store. There are non-wax rings and I've used one. It hasn't leaked in the two years its been installed and was move forgiving about being re-positioned during the install than a wax ring.
I also highly recommend pulling the old toilet and looking at the flange before doing your hardware store run. Every 50+ year old toilet I've replaced had a rusted out flange that needed to be replaced.

Good to know. I have 100 year old cast iron probably.

I figure I can always return unneeded items. I'll probably get multiple wax rings (or whatever my plumber friend says to get, not arguing with him), new flange, etc. Basically, new/extra of things and then return whatever isn't needed.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 11:09:43 AM »
I'm needing to replace mine soon too. 65 year old house with the original galvanized steel plumbing, so I was originally going to do the whole bathroom and update plumbing at the same time but the toilet is not going to make it another couple of years. It's my only toilet so I'm waiting for a weekday off work in case something goes terribly awry ;)

This thread is helpful, thanks for starting it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
I've been told that nobody regrets getting a Toto - I was researching recently as I need to replace the toilet in our master bath fairly soon. It works, but it clogs way too easily and uses too much water.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
Update!

Toilet is now replaced. I ended up getting a Gerber toilet. Went to the local plumbing store that is open to the public, and they very kindly looked at the pictures and measurements, showed me what toilets would fit, then gathered all the other pieces I would need once I'd picked it. I liked the looks of the Gerber, and my plumber friend was very approving (of how it works, he doesn't care how it looks).

I removed about half the old toilet, and installed about half the new one. Not strong enough to do the base. Handed tools/parts as needed for the rest. I have 100 year cast iron plumbing in excellent condition, and have confirmed what's under the current floor (multiple layers of sub floor. Don't ask me why, I'll deal with it when I redo the bathroom).

Combined with getting the drain out to the sewer rodded out, everything is working wonderfully. I will eventually need to replace the main line out. But it's ok with annual clean outs for now.

kidmont

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 11:56:08 PM »
Gerber brand toilet isn't a bad choice at all. I have one and never face a problem.