Author Topic: Replacing a door and frame  (Read 1804 times)

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Replacing a door and frame
« on: February 27, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
So we are having an open house this weekend and I had to do the last few things to get it ready. One of those was the back door to the garage needed replaced.

I bought the door at Menard's over the weekend and am waiting for a call back from a handyman that can install it.

I've watched some youtube videos and it looks ridiculously easy to pull out the old door with frame and pop the new one in.  It looks like all i really need is to borrow a Sawzall to cut the old frame out. Then a few screws and some shims to get the new one in. Oh and two of the 1 x 4 frame pieces broke, partially rotted anyway, when pulling them off so I will have to buy/cut/paint those and put them back up.

Problem is I don't have a lot of spare time to do it this week. I'm working OT and wife is working late 2 of the days.

My question is, is it as easy to install as the youtube video shows (sorry can't get out to the site to link it because I'm at work). Or is there a lot more to it than that? And do I need an extra person to help me get the frame into place? I've read a lot of sites saying it's a bitch to get the door perfectly level, but is that the case when you are replacing the entire frame? I'm reasonably handy, but also insecure when taking on projects like this by myself. And like I said, time may be an issue. I'm worried I will get 90% of the work done and not be able to get it done in time and frantically have to pay someone full price to finish it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Replacing a door and frame
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
I've probably done about 50 or so doors.  They *get* easy.  I'll fully admit the first one I did was a bit of a bitch.  It's a learning curve like anything else. 

It's easier if you have a finish nail gun (but I've done it without) to make a couple of quick "tacks" when you get it positioned.

If this is an exterior door (and since it goes to the garage, it sounds like it would be) ... it is complicated somewhat by the fact that it's going to be heavier.  I've always done them 100% by myself.  They're still do-able.  It's just an added factor.

If you had all the time in the world, I'd encourage you to DIY.  Learning is always good.  If you're working over time and about to have an open house, I might punt and get someone else to do it. 

threefive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »
I recently replaced an exterior door. I probably watched the same Youtube videos. It took me all friggin' day! The next one will take half that time easily, because once you've done one, you've pretty much figured it out. But that first one ...

I did have some not necessarily common complications. The old door was a smaller non-standard size, even thought the rough opening was a standard size. So I had some minor reframing, and I had to remove, cut, and replace some vinyl siding. This was also an exposed exterior door, which meant I had to fabricate a sill pan, replace some bad house wrap, and flash. I also got to learn how horribly wrong the previous door was installed. House wrap wrapped right into the house at the top. Zero flashing. No sill pan. The entire door and sidelights were held in place by the brick molding's itty-bitty finish nails. I removed the brick mold on the outside, and the whole thing just about fell on me. Wasn't expecting that.

Basically, hanging a door is one of those jobs that seems like an easy 2 hour job. Then 3 trips to the hardware store and 6 hours later you're still trying to figure out exactly what went wrong. I'm glad I did it. I learned a lot, and more importantly, I know how a door should be installed. If I could assume hiring a pro for $150-$200 would get it done right (which is a bad assumption around here), I would go the pro route in the future.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:32:31 AM »
It's time consuming, but goes faster with some help. I'd hire someone to do it in your situation. For an open house especially, it has to look nice.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:16:04 AM »
Thanks all. I'll hire it out then.

Too bad I don't have more time. Really wanted to try and do it myself 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
Thanks all. I'll hire it out then.

Too bad I don't have more time. Really wanted to try and do it myself

Do the next one. 

I hung every door in our current house.  I forget the exact count, but it's about 30 when you start including closets, attic accesses, etc.  It gets MUCH faster as you go.  I got to where I could hang 2-3 between "after work" and "dark".