Author Topic: Replaced window trim, now water is leaking into door.  (Read 1061 times)

the_fella

• Stubble
Replaced window trim, now water is leaking into door.
« on: August 29, 2018, 05:27:15 PM »
This is not my vehicle, but this is the same piece I replaced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZeCWaM5nIk

Now water is leaking into my door when it rains. It's inside the door. I have the panel off because I'm in the process of replacing the exterior door handle and was also fixing an electrical issue, so I can see the water dripping in.

What do you think the issue could be here? This piece is incredibly hard to remove from junkyard cars without bending it or breaking the plastic clips. I replaced it originally because the old one was accidentally bent when I was testing the power window. I couldn't bend it back into shape.

px4shooter

• Stubble
Re: Replaced window trim, now water is leaking into door.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
Are you sure that is the source and not one of the sides?

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »
My understanding is that when cars got rid of the U shaped channel in the roof above the doors to improve aerodynamics, that left the rubber window seal as the only defense against leaks and it was never intended to be perfect which is why there are drain holes on the interiors of car doors to let water out. If you are seeing a lot of water, I would guess there is a gap where the seal isn't seating right up against the window as it should. You can also buy conditioning spray (I think it is silicone based) to spray on the seals to help keep them more flexible and provide a better seal.

the_fella

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:15 PM »
My understanding is that when cars got rid of the U shaped channel in the roof above the doors to improve aerodynamics, that left the rubber window seal as the only defense against leaks and it was never intended to be perfect which is why there are drain holes on the interiors of car doors to let water out. If you are seeing a lot of water, I would guess there is a gap where the seal isn't seating right up against the window as it should. You can also buy conditioning spray (I think it is silicone based) to spray on the seals to help keep them more flexible and provide a better seal.

They're basically a rubber coated strip of metal. That's why they can be bent.