Author Topic: Repair cracked ceramic comer shelf  (Read 1682 times)

The Beacon

• Stubble
    • Financial Freedom Tips
Repair cracked ceramic comer shelf
« on: February 04, 2018, 08:57:44 PM »
Hi
My ceramic comer shelf in my shower just broke.  I have cleaned the corner up and there is only thinset left in the recess. I just wanted to fill up the recess and caulk it with silicon so that it is water tight.

Could you please take a look at the pictures attached and tell me what I need to fill up the holes?  Once the holes are filled up, can I sand them down?  I'd be happy as long as it is water tight and not an eye sore.

Your help is much appreciated!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:52:31 PM by Sharpy »

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Repair cracked ceremic coner shelf
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
If it were me, I would find some tiles that would fit in the opening and thinset and grout them in place. I think filling up with silicon caulking would A. be very hard to apply in a manner that looked aesthetically pleasing, i.e. not like a bunch of silicone slopped on to fill a hole, and B. would be very hard to keep clean later.

The Beacon

• Stubble
    • Financial Freedom Tips
Re: Repair cracked ceremic coner shelf
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
Thanks lthenderson.  How do I get the dead thin set out of  the holes?   Do I just whack it a few times with hammer?  I am afraid I'd damage the backing board behind it. 

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Repair cracked ceramic comer shelf
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
I would go gently with the hammer starting with the middle and ends where it is not touching the surrounding tile and work your way back towards the edges. I suspect it probably isn't really well adhered to the surrounding tile from the looks of it. If it is, then get yourself a nice mortar chisel for cleaning up the mortar around the tile edges. I don't think you will damage the cement board behind it unless you are really swinging the hammer hard.

The Beacon

• Stubble
    • Financial Freedom Tips
Re: Repair cracked ceramic comer shelf
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »
Thank you very much @lthenderson