Author Topic: Refrigerator Repair- help!  (Read 4615 times)

slugsworth

• Bristles
Refrigerator Repair- help!
« on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
I have an Amana (same as Maytag and Whirlpool) side by side refrigerator manufactured in 2009. I have had an issue with water appearing on the floor, in the front left of the refrigerator, the freezer side.  Hard to guess exactly the volume, but I would say, maybe a pint.  I haven't been able to catch it in the act so I don't know for sure where it is coming from. 

The two sources of water as far as I can tell are either the condensation pan OR the water dispenser in the door.  The fan that helps evaporate the condensation is running pretty briskly, so that isn't an issue - there is no obvious kink in the tube that runs into the door.  I downloaded the owners manual, which didn't include this as one of the trouble shooting options, and calling Amana didn't result in a solution. . .apparently their trouble shooting system was down (seriously!).

Does anyone have any experience - or a link to a guide that can help me figure out exactly where the potential problem is? The only thing I could really think of was to turn the water to the refrigerator off which would at least tell me if it was the condensation or the door.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Refrigerator Repair- help!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »
Just had to deal with this with our fridge. If it has been moved or shifted recently, it may be leaning slightly forward, which will cause condensation to run out the front of the unit instead of going into the condensation pan. That can be fixed by adjusting the front feet so that the front sits just a little higher, or putting small blocks under them if they aren't adjustable. It shouldn't need much; less than half an inch. If you have a level, you can confirm which way it's leaning first. It should be tipped just a degree or two toward the back.

If it's already leaning back, check to be sure there isn't ice buildup in the bottom of the freezer. That can block the drain hole. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to check that regardless.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »

If it's already leaning back, check to be sure there isn't ice buildup in the bottom of the freezer. That can block the drain hole. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to check that regardless.

This is what happened to me when I had the problem with my bottom-drawer freezer model. I had to remove some paneling and guards (in addition to everything in my freezer) to access the drain and squirt hot water down the hole/tube with a turkey baster to melt all the ice.

You might find this video helpful.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
One problem I've had with ice-through-the-door refrigerators:  Mine had a little plastic flap that opened to let the ice out and closed to hold the cold air in.  A small arm that opened/closed the flap would break, leaving the flap open (and the ice would melt and drip out).  The actual part was not replaceable on its own... you had to replace the whole door unit for $300.  I replaced this twice before I just stuck a rag in the hole and said "to hell with it."

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
First make sure the condensation pan is level, and it it's place.  Sometimes they can get jolted out of place and then don't hold as much as they should.  Also, they can crack.  Sometimes there's a heater under them, and the plastic isn't up to the job.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »
That fridge is way newer than anything I've ever had but I find that you need to clear the tube that leads out to the pan every year or so to clear out the algal gunk that grows in there. I use an old plastic-coated wire designed for hanging net curtains and push it through from the inside.

Other issue has been when the seal between the metal door-facing and it's internal plastic lining fails and you get condensation between the two, which can leak out when it defrosts.

CG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:59:55 AM »
I also have a fridge problem: tiny beads of condensation on the exterior hinge side of the freezer compartment. Its above the fridge itself - model is Westinghouse Silhouette Moist Cold 300 (age unknown, as I acquired it secondhand). No water dispenser or ice-maker.

Probably related: more water than usual collecting under the salad compartment at the bottom of the fridge.

No problem to mop up in either case, but it probably means it's not working efficiently and may be using more electricity than it should.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:04:13 AM »
Thanks everyone, I will report back. The pan did look like it was in place,  but I will break out the carpenters level and check it horridly. The more advice the merrier, so please don't hesitate to share yours.

I will say access is really challenging. The whole bottom area is not much more than 4" tall and the pan is a good 6" back from the front. If anyone has tips on accessing the components that is also welcome!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
I will give you one other past problem (relayed to me by a refrigerator repair man.)  I doubt this is your problem.  I give this to you for your information only.

The complaint: big spot of water in front of fridge

Repair guy goes over everything... ends up replacing a bunch of stuff.  They call him back: it's still happening.  He replaces more stuff.  They call him back. 

He's sitting there talking to them, trying to figure out when it happens, when a large golden retriever walks in, sticks it's nose on the water-dispensing pad and drinks, then walks away.  Problem solved.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »
SO, thanks to the MMM group here I believe I solved the problem or at least it hasn't reoccurred.  So, to trouble shoot, I turned off the water to the fridge for a few days and I still got a leak, so I figured it had to be the condensation.

The poster who suggested that it was off level was right and the problem was solved with several beer coasters placed underneath the front of the fridge, bringing it to level and I have gotten zero leaks since.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!