Author Topic: Refrigerator Ice Maker Help  (Read 3696 times)

Numbers Man

Refrigerator Ice Maker Help
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »
I've seen some youtube videos about fixing the ice maker in the refrigerator and thought I had fixed the ice maker. I had no ice and jiggled the water line in back of the refrigerator and now had about 15 ice cubes over night. It looks like my badassity card needs to be revoked since the ice maker stopped making ice today. Any ideas what to do next?

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
Re: Refrigerator Ice Maker Help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
what brandd is the fridge.  I used to be an appliance tech ans should be able to walk you through it.
 Pictures help...

Numbers Man

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:56:04 PM »
I'm in the office so I can't take any pictures for a few hours. It's a Whirlpool Gold with the model # GS6SHAXMS00.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 02:19:28 PM »
Most commonly the tube that feeds water to the Ice make freezes up.  I beilive you can remove the plastic tube, unthaw it and you should be good to go again.

Numbers Man

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
Thanks dycker1978. Is that tube outside the refrigerator in the back or is it inside where the ice maker is? There is about a 1/2 inch tube coming from the top of the freezer and pointed directly at the ice making contraption.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
thats the one... it usally runs through the back ouf the fridge from the water valve.  If yours is not removable(I cant remeber on that fridge) you can use a turkey baster filled with hot water, and a bucket to catch it, it will take abit but should start again.

Numbers Man

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
Thanks - I'll get this done over the weekend and report back. Should I lower my settings? I had it on 5 out of 10 for the freezer.

Numbers Man

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
Sorry that I'm a little late on reporting back on this, but Thanks to dycker1978. You were correct the line was frozen. I changed my freezer setting from 5 to 3 and now the ice maker is working.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
No problem, happy to help

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
Can you just use ice cube trays? I think ice makers are stupid. They take up tons of space, especially the in-door dispensers, and I hardly ever use ice anyway.

Numbers Man

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
Can you just use ice cube trays? I think ice makers are stupid. They take up tons of space, especially the in-door dispensers, and I hardly ever use ice anyway.

When you live in a desert the water doesn't come out too cold from the faucet. We drink lots of water and need a lot of ice to drink cold water. In addition, everybody in the house seems to have a gatorade bottle of water in the fridge as well.

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »
My fridge had the same problem - if you Google there's ways to build a chain of resistors that connects into the fridge, warming the line so it doesn't freeze. In my case, the GE had a kit that fixed the problem (they tried to sell it for $30, but after some finagling they sent for free)