Author Topic: Refinishing Terrazzo Floors  (Read 4531 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Refinishing Terrazzo Floors
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »
On Wednesday, my toilet started leaking from the bottom, so SO and I opted to self-repair and replace the wax seal. The laminate was peeling up a bit at the toilet (not a good sign, likely water) and so we took a peek underneath — terrazzo flooring. And it's everywhere, under the entire house. So we pulled up the laminate (we'll get to the toilet eventually, now, I'm sure) in the bathroom and want to refinish the terrazzo in the bathroom instead of re-flooring. Has anyone done this?

I've called around but it's almost just as expensive to refinish as it would be to slap down some wood-look laminate throughout the house. $2.00 and $2.80 per square foot were the quotes I got, and one of them told me I'd have to clear all of the furniture out of my house before they'd start which is obviously a no-go. So we want to DIY it, and it looks like we will need a buffer.

This is the simplest guide I found and I'll keep looking for something more in-depth. Most of what I've found have just been advertisements for terrazzo refinishers who want to sell their service instead of finding any DIY instructions.
https://www.hunker.com/13414850/how-to-refinish-terrazzo-floors

Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:23:37 AM by lexde »

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Refinishing Terrazzo Floors
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 03:36:32 PM »
Terrazzo is a heck of a good product and very expensive to install as it is poured in place like concrete, then ground and polished smooth.
You don't see much of it used anymore except in places like schools or public buildings because it is so expensive, and there are not all that many contractors around that do Terrazzo.

What is the matter with yours, that you think you need to completely refinish it?
If it just has adhesive and stuff on it from another floor being installed over it, that stuff can probably be cleaned off with some high powered strippers or solvents, then wax the floor like you would any tile floor.   The only reason to grind & polish would be if it had deep gouges in it.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »
@fishindude — thanks for the tips. I wasn’t sure what the condition of the terrazzo was under my bathroom linoleum but it looks to be in pretty good shape so I think I’ll be following your advice and not trying to refinish.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Refinishing Terrazzo Floors
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »
I guess I’ll post some updates in here, might as well!

I don’t have a “before” photo but just imagine gross linoleum that had overstayed it’s welcome by about 25 years and was peeling up at the corners. Ick.

It looks like there was originally terrazzo, then someone glued linoleum to it, then plastered sheet linoleum on top of that. Yikes. We pulled the up the sheet no problem but the tiles are proving a little tricky. Even with stripping material I’m having to chisel it off of the terrazzo. Other than a small crack (see closeup) it seems to be in good shape.

Need to get the rest of this linoleum off, then more stripping solution, cleaner, and then buff/wax.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:24:56 AM »
If that is terrazzo, it is about the crummiest looking terrazzo I have ever seen.   Probably not worth the effort to try to make it look nice.   I'd just cover it up with some tile.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
OK people - knock it off. Everyone has different styles and tastes, if this terrazo isn't yours, doesn't mean it isn't OP's. Being nasty just reflects on you. And may I remind you, that this particular floor is a work in process? You do not know what it will look like until it's fully uncovered and properly cleaned.

OP - I also know the feeling of pulling up a floor, not knowing what's under it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I have no experience with terrazo, but good luck!

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:53:38 PM »
Can you rent or borrow the machine to do a little, to see if it's worth doing the rest? 

I love terrazzo, especially where it fits the design of the house.  I'd sooner refinish it if the cost vs. new flooring is similar.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 07:27:40 AM »
Can you rent or borrow the machine to do a little, to see if it's worth doing the rest? 

I love terrazzo, especially where it fits the design of the house.  I'd sooner refinish it if the cost vs. new flooring is similar.
That’s the plan. I’m not particularly thrilled with the flooring but it looks better than it did before. We may just keep the bathroom bare and put wood-look laminate over the rest of the floors, but we are just trying to get the carpet out and replaced as inexpensively as possible.

We can rent the machine for $48 and see what happens in the bathroom and go from there.

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »
The bathroom may be the most challenging because of the small space, and around the toilet and cabinets and stuff.  So if that turns out well you're probably good to go.

Let us know how it goes, and post pics!

Ankenystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
If you have access to a buffer you would be in luck. Most terrazzo can be cleaned up with buffing pads. If it is too neglected they make a buffer pad with diamond pads on it that will bring it back. Then after you clean that up just seal it (acrylic sealer, it will stink but it is one hell of a product) and a couple coats of wax.
It looks to be cement terrazzo which is a little older, most new terrazzo is epoxy. The crack is from the subfloor moving and the coat of wax will fill it in and not trap dirt.
Terrazzo is one of the most economical floors out there, it is tough and once you clean it up you will love it.
The main part of cleaning up and refinishing terrazzo is getting the original seal/wax off.

Most companies that do terrazzo are going to charge a pretty penny because anymore there are no contractors around and the ones that are, do commercial jobs and make a killing doing it.

My family is a 3 generation terrazzo flooring contractor. I got out of it after college to pursue auto collision but I have been around it since I was born. Still am on the occasional big job when I want to earn some extra cash.