Author Topic: Need Recommendation for adding a room  (Read 1976 times)

newbieMMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need Recommendation for adding a room
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »
Hi there,
I am planning to add a room to my house and need your input. As you can see in the photo, the front corner where I am planning to add a room (marked with red line), has different roof heights on both sides(11 ft on one side and 14 ft on another side). Any idea how to overcome this obstacle? I haven't consulted any architect yet, thought of getting input from this community first.

Thanks in advance for your response.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:36:52 PM by newbieMMM »

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
Re: Need Recommendation for adding a room
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 04:31:46 AM »
I would extend your garage roofline until it reaches the elevation of the other roofline. At which point, I would add a ridge and have the other slope extended until the edge of your new box. It's hard to tell, but this would look/be easiest if slopes (angles) were the same.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
It is going to be difficult to put an addition there and make it look good.  A good addition doesn't look like an addition and will increase the value of your home.  In this case, I'm doubtful you will be able to make it look right, and it could actually devalue your home.

Bear in mind we are only looking at one picture.   Suggest getting a reputable professional builder or home designer involved.
On some homes, additions are not always feasible.

newbieMMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »
I would extend your garage roofline until it reaches the elevation of the other roofline. At which point, I would add a ridge and have the other slope extended until the edge of your new box. It's hard to tell, but this would look/be easiest if slopes (angles) were the same.

Hi, Mgmny, thanks for your suggestion. the problem with extending the garage roofline is that the windows in the rooms above the garage, so I am not sure if that would be possible, but I will ask. Thanks again

newbieMMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
It is going to be difficult to put an addition there and make it look good.  A good addition doesn't look like an addition and will increase the value of your home.  In this case, I'm doubtful you will be able to make it look right, and it could actually devalue your home.

Bear in mind we are only looking at one picture.   Suggest getting a reputable professional builder or home designer involved.
On some homes, additions are not always feasible.

Hi Fishingdude, excellent points! thanks for your candid response. I will check with an architect/home designer.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:32:46 AM »
If not having a garage is a feasible option where you live, I'd convert the garage space to living space if possible.

If that's not an option, I'd explore extending the left-side unit of the house (the part with the 14' roof) pretty much "as is," and tie it into the garage with a clerestory roof (same as what you've got on the 20' section, with the windows above the garage).  Kind of funky, but no funkier than other options and consistent with the existing design.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »

Hi, Mgmny, thanks for your suggestion. the problem with extending the garage roofline is that the windows in the rooms above the garage, so I am not sure if that would be possible, but I will ask. Thanks again

No I don't mean change the garage roofline. I mean extend to over the addition from right to left. Eventually as you go left, you'll hit the house elevation and you will require a ridge and slope. The windows  above the garage should not be touched at all in this strategy

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!