Author Topic: quartz countertop cantilever over dishwasher  (Read 2547 times)

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
quartz countertop cantilever over dishwasher
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:53:45 PM »
I have a 7' long, 2' deep laminate countertop with a cutout for a sink roughly in the middle. On the far right side, the countertop cantilevers over the top of the 2'W dishwasher. The fridge is immediately to the right of the dishwasher. I'm not sure of the support scenario that's in place between the dishwasher and the countertop.

We are considering replacing the laminate with 3cm thick quartz, but the installer necessitates a vertical panel between the dishwasher and fridge to support the weight. I don't think there's room to get this panel in, but I'm going to check again to be certain. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: quartz countertop cantilever over dishwasher
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 06:37:16 AM »
The granite company required us to install support bars for the overhang at the seating area for our peninsula. They wouldn't even set an installation date until we had sent them pictures showing that the contractor had installed those bars. (The contractor thought the support was unnecessary, but did a great job anyway.)

So, yeah, I guess it's a thing. Can you move the fridge over a tiny bit?

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 06:52:38 AM »
The fridge is right up against the baseboard. The right side of the sink cabinet has an extension on the face frame that I could probably trim to gain 1/2 an inch or so. If I removed the baseboard I might gain another half, but it would look odd. Part of this kitchen reno will involve replacing the baseboard and all other trim as well. It seems that I will have to pull out the dishwasher to make this work...thanks!

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:25:28 AM »
I've seen some steel cantilevered supports for countertops.  They are very low profile.  Basically they screw into the top of your cabinets - you have to notch out portions of the side plywood walls so they fit.  Basically, if you have a 20" overhang, they run back through attached to your cabinets and equal amount.  Might solve your problem.

Or put some angle iron brackets from your back wall coming out towards the front to take the weight. 

Usually stone counters can only handle up to 12" overhang before you have problems. 

Or... thinking outside the box, go with concrete counters and make sure you have rebar to run through to handle the cantilever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »
Check out this site. A buddy bought through them before and they worked well.

http://centerlinebrackets.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »
Thanks for the pointers. I'm not sure what it's going to look like when I remove the current laminate countertop. I did ask the installer about a ledger board on the back wall, but they need more than that. If I have room for a bracket, that would be great!

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 08:11:44 AM »
Here is a photo of the current condition. The new doors will have hidden hinges, so the existing hinge holes will be filled/sanded/painted.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
Here is a photo of the current condition. The new doors will have hidden hinges, so the existing hinge holes will be filled/sanded/painted.

I would bet there is already something between the dishwasher and the refrigerator supporting your current countertop. I've never seen a situation like that where there wasn't.

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
I shined an LED light in the narrow gap between the dishwasher and fridge and don't see anything, but there could be something hidden behind the rubber seal on the right side (at the front) of my dishwasher.  Thanks for the encouragement!

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:03:12 AM »
It looks like the support structure is as shown...no end panel. Not sure if this would support 3cm quartz...even if it would, not sure the installers will do it.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 07:10:20 AM »

Usually stone counters can only handle up to 12" overhang before you have problems. 

We have 3 cm quartz.We were told the maximum is 14"  (I got 13" because, well, I come from a farm family that wears suspenders AND a belt!)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:38:22 PM by TheWifeHalf »

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 09:09:55 AM »
I don't know if that is enough support but it is nice to see that I was proven correct and that there was something supporting the existing countertop.

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 09:42:17 AM »
Correct. No end panel though...I thought there might have been one concealed. I will figure it out one way or another!