Author Topic: Possible Mold in Linen Closet  (Read 4656 times)

nirvines88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Possible Mold in Linen Closet
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
I am about to buy my first house.  Inspection went great with one possible exception, which I am worried about (but maybe shouldn't be?).  The original inspector mentioned that the interior linen closet and one of the bedroom closets (which shares a wall with the linen closet) have some spots towards the top (near the ceiling but not on the ceiling itself) that look like some kind of fungus, perhaps mold.  The door is pretty airtight, so circulation is not good.  He said he didn't think it was anything to worry about.  He recommended shaving an inch or two off the bottom of the door to improve circulation, spraying the infected area with an anti-fungal agent, and then repainting.  He said the fungus did not go past the paint level (i.e. into the drywall).  I had a mold expert come out just to look at it, and he agreed with the inspector's opinion, although we did not order any mold tests nor rip out any drywall to look behind.  Both inspectors did go up into the attic to look above the closets and did not see any mold.  Same story with the crawl space and other parts of the house - no signs of mold.

My theory is that perhaps at some point, before the new roof was put on, there was a leak that caused some growth.  Alternatively, perhaps due to the lack of circulation, slowly but surely there was just a tiny bit of moisture buildup over time that manifested into the perceived problem I see today. 

FYI:  The house I am buying has a crawl space with low-normal humidity levels and a relatively new roof (so no recent leaks).  The sellers are willing to pay for the repairs.   

Am I freaking out for a dumb reason?  I just hear the word mold/fungus and go into panic mode, even though I know every house has mold, especially here in the Southeast.  1 expert, 1 inspector, and 1 contractor have expressed their opinion that it is a non-issue.  If you were a homebuyer, would you take further steps to address the situation?  Or heed the advice (stop worrying, shave the door to improve circulation, kill the fungus, and repaint) of everyone around you?

EDIT: I meant bedroom closet, not bathroom closet as originally posted.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:24:09 AM by nirvines88 »

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Possible Mold in Linen Closet
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:57:45 AM »
Yea it time to unbunch those panties and relax. I live in, and built a bunch of homes in a vacation community. I have been told repeatedly by the local building inspectors that this is a common issue, particularly in homes that see little use. Bottom line is that the closet sees little air circulation, and becomes the likely area for air to reach a dew point and condensate. Then the mold starts. If you don't see it above this area, in the attic, it is not and never was a roof leak issue, and it is clearly a minor problem. If you want to cut the bottom of the door and need a few tips, PM me. If it's like most, and hollow, it can be a bit tricky, but not beyond anybody with moderate DIY skills. Good luck.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:51:14 AM »
A small amount of surface mold in a bathroom is not typically a big deal, particularly in the situation you've described.  As above, check the attic for mold (but it sounds pretty unlikely).  Cutting down the closet door to improve circulation (maybe even going as far as to buy a large 4"x6" grate to put on the door) will likely solve the problem.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »
I agree with inspector.   Relax.  Throw on some paint with antimold properties.  Mold likes latex paint.  So you can buy one with the antimold or an additive.   

Most people don't realize that mold is ever present in interior and exterior environments.

You should also consider an air filter for your HVAC system with a high filtration rate.  MERV 13 or above should do the trick. 

Also check to be sure your "fart fan" in the bath is properly vented to the exterior and use it when showering and for 10 minutes post shower.  Use a hepa filter when vacuuming to further remove mold from the environment.

Mold is nearly impossible to completely eradicate from a home as it is ever present in the outside environment and mold spores can lay dormant for literally millions of years.  But it is nice to keep the level down and keep moisture at bay.    (no moisture no mold issue)

The MERV 13 also has the wonderful ability to remove bacteria, perhaps viruses, aerosols, cooking odor and dust mites while keeping your home virtually dust free.

It cost a tad more to run the HVAC as there is more resistance. 

Enjoy your new home and sleep well knowing this is a minor issue. 

nirvines88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »
I agree with inspector.   Relax.  Throw on some paint with antimold properties.  Mold likes latex paint.  So you can buy one with the antimold or an additive.   

Most people don't realize that mold is ever present in interior and exterior environments.

You should also consider an air filter for your HVAC system with a high filtration rate.  MERV 13 or above should do the trick. 

Also check to be sure your "fart fan" in the bath is properly vented to the exterior and use it when showering and for 10 minutes post shower.  Use a hepa filter when vacuuming to further remove mold from the environment.

Mold is nearly impossible to completely eradicate from a home as it is ever present in the outside environment and mold spores can lay dormant for literally millions of years.  But it is nice to keep the level down and keep moisture at bay.    (no moisture no mold issue)

The MERV 13 also has the wonderful ability to remove bacteria, perhaps viruses, aerosols, cooking odor and dust mites while keeping your home virtually dust free.

It's interesting you mentioned this type of filter to use.  My inspector actually specifically took me aside to show me the filters that the sellers were using, which were the fancy thick type.  He said to me that I should definitely buy the cheaper thin ones so that it puts less strain on the system. 

In your opinion, the additional strain on the system is worth it if the filters are doing the things you mentioned? (bear in mind I know little about central air/heat systems)

nirvines88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 01:07:09 PM »
Yea it time to unbunch those panties and relax. I live in, and built a bunch of homes in a vacation community. I have been told repeatedly by the local building inspectors that this is a common issue, particularly in homes that see little use. Bottom line is that the closet sees little air circulation, and becomes the likely area for air to reach a dew point and condensate. Then the mold starts. If you don't see it above this area, in the attic, it is not and never was a roof leak issue, and it is clearly a minor problem. If you want to cut the bottom of the door and need a few tips, PM me. If it's like most, and hollow, it can be a bit tricky, but not beyond anybody with moderate DIY skills. Good luck.

Thanks for the offer.  I'd definitely take you up on it if the sellers hadn't agreed to fix it with their own money! 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »

It's interesting you mentioned this type of filter to use.  My inspector actually specifically took me aside to show me the filters that the sellers were using, which were the fancy thick type.  He said to me that I should definitely buy the cheaper thin ones so that it puts less strain on the system. 

In your opinion, the additional strain on the system is worth it if the filters are doing the things you mentioned? (bear in mind I know little about central air/heat systems)
.    IMHO it is.  I never dust.  My belief is filters are meant to filter.  Strain may not be an accurate word but it will slightly increase your bill.