Author Topic: Porch Re-Screening Project  (Read 2327 times)

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
Porch Re-Screening Project
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
I plan to re-screen our back porch this spring and am interested in hearing anyone's experience with this project.

I've done a bit of research and my favorite option so far looks like Screen Tight: https://www.screentight.com/screening-systems/screen-tight/

Anyone have any experience with this company's products? They make it sound super easy, but I'm always skeptical of quick-cutting videos showing something to be painless.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Porch Re-Screening Project
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
my old house had these - they were already installed but it made rescreening them when our dog destroyed one a breeze.  we plan to use something like this to screen my dads covered porch this year.

1 person can rescreen large openings fairly quickly with this system.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
Yep, used those to re-screen an entire porch on our previous house. Easy to work with and probably the best system I could find since I did it all by myself.

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »
Great! That gives me some confidence to proceed with it - thank you for the quick replies.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »
Well, if you're going to do all the work, make sure you use the right screen material. Do a bit of research and figure out what will work best for your situation. There's a metal one that is much tougher against cat claws for example. It also costs more, but for me is 100% worth it.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
Slightly off topic, but what it the easiest, most economical way to rescreen a window screen?

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
I plan to re-screen our back porch this spring and am interested in hearing anyone's experience with this project.

I've done a bit of research and my favorite option so far looks like Screen Tight: https://www.screentight.com/screening-systems/screen-tight/

Anyone have any experience with this company's products? They make it sound super easy, but I'm always skeptical of quick-cutting videos showing something to be painless.

Sorry I don't have any helpful advice, but thank you for this!  We have a house in Roatan and I wanted to fully screen in the main patio, but I had no idea how.  This system looks like exactly what we need.   :) 

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:20 AM »
I have a screened in porch, but mine must be far different than the usual because this system would not apply at all in my application? Our screens are the same type of screen you would find on a window (at least at our house) and it's attached to the cedar on the outside of the porch. All I have to do is take the screen out using the little pins, pull out the screen and rubber gasket, and roll on a new one....

I can't figure out how this system mentioned above is better or more necessary than what I have?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »
I have a screened in porch, but mine must be far different than the usual because this system would not apply at all in my application? Our screens are the same type of screen you would find on a window (at least at our house) and it's attached to the cedar on the outside of the porch. All I have to do is take the screen out using the little pins, pull out the screen and rubber gasket, and roll on a new one....

I can't figure out how this system mentioned above is better or more necessary than what I have?

if you have a rubber gasket that is similar to a window that you're rolling a screen back in then you have this system or something similar.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:37 AM »

if you have a rubber gasket that is similar to a window that you're rolling a screen back in then you have this system or something similar.

Hmm maybe? All of my screens can pop out though, so i can attach/re-attach the screen on a flat surface. these look more stationary? All of my screens are something like 2.5-3' by 9' tall.

quick edit: It looks like each of my screens has 4 screws i forgot about that attach them to the cedar. So, I guess it could be similar.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:06:42 AM by Mgmny »