Author Topic: Picking a paint color for cabinets and applying samples?  (Read 4054 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Picking a paint color for cabinets and applying samples?
« on: May 17, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »
Hey all,

Wanting to take advantage of the current rebates offered by HomeDepot as we are wanting to strip and paint our kitchen cabinets. We purchased several $1 paint samples but haven't yet applied them. I was curious for that matter how to go about applying the samples to our cabinets. Should we simply just paint a stroke of each on a cabinet door(s) or side(s)? Or are we really supposed to strip the finish, sand, etc and then apply? This is just to decide what color we want... I was assuming you could just paint directly onto the existing door/cabinetry even with finish (though, it's fading) but I don't want to make a wrong assumption either.

TIA!

Steve Ainslie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ainslies.org - becoming a better man
Re: Picking a paint color for cabinets and applying samples?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:19:48 PM »
When we were deciding in colors for walls, cabinets and trim, we just painted right over the existing surfaces.

Make sure to let it dry and do a few coats so you get a better approximation of color.

It helped us to paint big sections not adjacent to each other  vs just a few stripes. Eg I'd do an entire cabinet front in each different color.

Good luck. Repainting cabinets is one of the best low cost renos I've done. It's a high roi.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
For an accurate color, paint it exactly as you WILL be painting them. If you are stripping down to bare wood first, then strip down to bare wood and paint over it. If you are painting over an existing finish, then apply your samples over the existing finish. By doing so, you will not only know the final color but you will also no how much work you are going to be in for, i.e. how many coats, etc.

Also, when applying test samples, I always try to paint a flat area that is easy to sand off later if it isn't the color you want. Don't put it into nooks and crevices because it will take much longer to remove it later or cause you to put more coats over the top to cover up the different area.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
For an accurate color, paint it exactly as you WILL be painting them. If you are stripping down to bare wood first, then strip down to bare wood and paint over it. If you are painting over an existing finish, then apply your samples over the existing finish. By doing so, you will not only know the final color but you will also no how much work you are going to be in for, i.e. how many coats, etc.

Also, when applying test samples, I always try to paint a flat area that is easy to sand off later if it isn't the color you want. Don't put it into nooks and crevices because it will take much longer to remove it later or cause you to put more coats over the top to cover up the different area.

I applied the samples to small areas on one cabinet door... didn't see your post before I did that as the doors have nooks/crevices - I ended up painting between those - dohhh

In any case, I'm not quite sure how to decide which one would look best. Wondering if I should paint an entire door or what.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
Our kitchen is small too - not that many cabinets to paint. I looked around at pics online and am now wondering if we should do a dual-colored theme where we do white upper cabinets and brown lower cabinets. It'll cost twice as much of course but I figure since the paint is on sale, why not.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
In any case, I'm not quite sure how to decide which one would look best. Wondering if I should paint an entire door or what.

I went through this in the planning stage or a kitchen repaint that ended up not happening. I wanted to choose a cabinet color that would go well with the existing surfaces (floor, countertop, appliances) that wouldn't be changing. (I don't have a backsplash.)  It was hard to pick a white that was warm enough not to look stark against the floor tile and granite counter but also didn't make the white appliances look stark in contrast to the paint!  In the end I decided that I want to replace the countertop anyway, so I chose based on the appliances and floor more than the counter.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
I've heard white is a good color for a smaller kitchen. Our kitchen is on the small side, so I'm wondering if we should stick to an all-white scheme.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »
I've heard white is a good color for a smaller kitchen. Our kitchen is on the small side, so I'm wondering if we should stick to an all-white scheme.

On my current house, I painted the kitchen cabinets an off-white color and they were previously a medium wood stain. It made a huge difference on the feel of the kitchen and did make it feel much bigger simply because it was much brighter. But everything has its drawbacks. White is a hard color to keep clean and a kitchen is a really messy environment so I feel like we are always cleaning the cabinet faces. It wasn't so noticeable when it was stained wood.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »

On my current house, I painted the kitchen cabinets an off-white color and they were previously a medium wood stain. It made a huge difference on the feel of the kitchen and did make it feel much bigger simply because it was much brighter. But everything has its drawbacks. White is a hard color to keep clean and a kitchen is a really messy environment so I feel like we are always cleaning the cabinet faces. It wasn't so noticeable when it was stained wood.

Thanks! Makes a lot of sense... how do you clean them btw? And what kind of paint did you use to provision for repeated cleanings in the long-term so the paint is sustainable and won't start fading?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 12:57:35 PM »
When I was young and painted my small kitchen cabinets I used a cream as it made the space look bigger but also was not as stark as white.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
BTW: is eggshell or satin sheen better for white painted cabinets?

We're looking to just go with this color: https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-1-gal-52-White-Eggshell-Enamel-Zero-VOC-Interior-Paint-and-Primer-in-One-205001/204405954

I think Premium Plus is fine versus Premium Ultra - opinions?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:00:54 PM by jeromedawg »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
Here are some pictures. Was also curious about hardware and what to install on these if anything. Those grooves are ugly IMHO. I'm not sure how these will look when white so maybe no hardware is necessary. It would be great fill the gaps on those grooves and install hardware though.

Thoughts?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »
Suggest you avoid latex and water based paints. They go on easy, but deteriorate quickly. Look for oil or alkyd type paint. The most affordable approach here is probably to sand down to bare wood, then prime, then spray on an oil based finish x several coats. Shortcuts are likely to give inferior results leading to cabinet replacement I'm around 5 years.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
Suggest you avoid latex and water based paints. They go on easy, but deteriorate quickly. Look for oil or alkyd type paint. The most affordable approach here is probably to sand down to bare wood, then prime, then spray on an oil based finish x several coats. Shortcuts are likely to give inferior results leading to cabinet replacement I'm around 5 years.

So something like this - https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-1-Qt-white-Semi-Gloss-Oil-Based-Interior-Exterior-Paint-380004/202263896 ?

Does oil-based come in semi-gloss/high-gloss only or something?

EDIT: I just read that oil-based paints are more difficult to cleanup and dispose of. So maybe this Alklyd paint would be best? Or is that the same in terms of disposal/cleanup? https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-1-gal-White-Alkyd-Semi-Gloss-Enamel-Interior-Exterior-Paint-390001/203457549
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:56:40 PM by jeromedawg »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 11:11:04 PM »
Also, I'm planning to brush and roll and not use a sprayer (we don't have one). I suppose I could borrow one too... that said, is there a certain type of paint we should consider more if planning to  brush/roll on the paint versus spray? I don't want to get too crazy with researching all this stuff - just want a quick suggestion on something that'll last for at least 5+ years without having to worry about. Should I just drop the extra $$$ on Benjamin Moore Advance like Frugalwoods did and call it a day?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:14:02 PM by jeromedawg »

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 11:49:53 PM »
A painter told me that if you are trying to pick a color and you are debating between to similar shades go with the lighter one. His experience was that it was much more common that people ended up dissatisfied with a color that was too dark than too light. I don't think he had any scientific basis for this, just experience, but I followed this advice and I was happy with the color.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
Thanks! Makes a lot of sense... how do you clean them btw? And what kind of paint did you use to provision for repeated cleanings in the long-term so the paint is sustainable and won't start fading?

For cleaning them, I just use soapy water and a dishrag. Before painting them, I sprayed and wiped them down thoroughly using a degreaser, especially the areas where I couldn't easily sand. For the flat parts, I just sanded down to fresh wood. I bought a high quality primer and painted them with that followed by two coats of a quality oil based paint. I've never had problems with fading but I have had a few spots that I have had to touch up that were in very high traffic area mostly around cabinet drawers that my kids open up all the time by grabbing onto the wood instead of the handle.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 10:13:38 AM »
I like the cream color. I like hardware because it keeps the cabinets clean when you open them.  Otherwise you will be washing fingerprints off all the time.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

For cleaning them, I just use soapy water and a dishrag. Before painting them, I sprayed and wiped them down thoroughly using a degreaser, especially the areas where I couldn't easily sand. For the flat parts, I just sanded down to fresh wood. I bought a high quality primer and painted them with that followed by two coats of a quality oil based paint. I've never had problems with fading but I have had a few spots that I have had to touch up that were in very high traffic area mostly around cabinet drawers that my kids open up all the time by grabbing onto the wood instead of the handle.

What primer and paint brands would you recommend for something like this? And would you do satin or semi-gloss? The clean-up with oil paint scares me a bit as I've never dealt with all that. As well as the application - do you paint via brush, foam brush, roller or spray?

I like the cream color. I like hardware because it keeps the cabinets clean when you open them.  Otherwise you will be washing fingerprints off all the time.

Thanks! The one on the left or the right? The left-hand side is more of an off-white greyish. The one on the right is the 'pure white' unmixed original. Both are by Behr.

Wouldn't fingerprints show more on a semi-gloss? If I used satin that probably wouldn't be as big a deal. I think hardware might look kinda funny on these slatted cabinet faces, don't you think? Either way, it's so 80s-90s looking - I'd rather reface these but I want to keep costs minimal and just repaint for now at the very least.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
I like the one on the right. You have the spot before the slats for the hardware. I think it will look fine

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
Yea, the one on the right is pure white unmixed. I think it looks slightly different based on lighting. The pictures probably came out more "creamy" because I took these with the blinds open and natural daylight. I think if I were to take the pictures at night with the lights on, they would show with a different tint. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »
Pro tips: dark colors have a lot of pigment in them, which makes them soft. The color wears off easily, especially near sinks where there are lots of water splashes. If you chose to ignore this fact, tint your primer so it's dark. This will soften the contrast as the dark color wears off.

As to filling in the lines, you can buy "skins" and glue them on for a flat front cabinet. Somewhat labor intensive and tedious, but if cut precisely and smoothly caulked, might provide a satisfactory result.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Pro tips: dark colors have a lot of pigment in them, which makes them soft. The color wears off easily, especially near sinks where there are lots of water splashes. If you chose to ignore this fact, tint your primer so it's dark. This will soften the contrast as the dark color wears off.

As to filling in the lines, you can buy "skins" and glue them on for a flat front cabinet. Somewhat labor intensive and tedious, but if cut precisely and smoothly caulked, might provide a satisfactory result.

Thanks! I think we'll likely be sticking with white/white tinted if anything at this point.

I had no idea about the cabinet "skins" ! Looks pretty neat but it does sound like a lot of work. And it seems like it could get pretty pricey too. The other thing is that the bottom part of the door (where there's a 'handle' to pull the door open etc) has a small lip so that piece protrudes a bit. I'm not sure how well a skin would cover over this. Unless you can build 'shim border' for the rest of the door and then apply the skin over that. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »
A painter told me that if you are trying to pick a color and you are debating between to similar shades go with the lighter one. His experience was that it was much more common that people ended up dissatisfied with a color that was too dark than too light. I don't think he had any scientific basis for this, just experience, but I followed this advice and I was happy with the color.
I think the smaller area of a sample makes less of an impact than the finished result will, so going with one that seems a little more would be better is often the better choice than the one that might be a little too much.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 12:46:10 PM »
I think the smaller area of a sample makes less of an impact than the finished result will, so going with one that seems a little more would be better is often the better choice than the one that might be a little too much.

When you say "going with the one that seems a little more" what context are you referring to? One that's whiter/brighter? Or the one that's not *as* white/bright?

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »

Sorry, sometimes I leave words out. Yes the brighter/lighter one.

When you say "going with the one that seems a little more" what context are you referring to? One that's whiter/brighter? Or the one that's not *as* white/bright?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 02:05:35 PM »

I think a lot of times people see the sample as not enough color (for light colored shades), but find the color to be great once a larger area is painted - especially if the color they are covering is darker than what they are going towards.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »
If the color that looks like cream to me is a bright white I would look at finding a cream color. It will look better.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »
If the color that looks like cream to me is a bright white I would look at finding a cream color. It will look better.

If you look at it here, it sort of does look "creamy" compared to the full white background of the website:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-8-oz-PPU18-6-Ultra-Pure-White-Matte-Interior-Exterior-Paint-and-Primer-in-One-Sample-UL20016/204107429

The Benjamin Moore "super white" Frugalwoods used looks really similar but perhaps not *as* bright:
https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/oc-152/super-white?color=OC-152

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:21:36 PM by jeromedawg »