Author Topic: Painting dilemma: awkward ceiling UPDATE  (Read 4325 times)

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
Painting dilemma: awkward ceiling UPDATE
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »
I'm working on getting the second floor bathroom painted in our house and I've run into a bit of a problem.  The ceiling is vaulted and angled pretty sharply with the low end being normal height over the tub\shower and the high end being 13+ ft on the vanity and toilet side.  I had to prime the ceiling due to patching in the skylight recess and discovered that I can't get a clean line edged above the sink and toilet because of the sharp angle where the ceiling and walls meet.  In fact getting paint into that corner was difficult with  even my best edging brush.  I'm one of those ocd painters that has to have a white ceiling and colored walls so this has been nagging at me ever since.  One option that I'm toying with is not paint the wall color all the way to the ceiling on the high end of the room.  So basically I would have a line all the way around the room, probably at 9ft up which is level with the low point of the ceiling.  Below that line that walls would be the wall color and above that line the wall and ceiling would be white.  Would this look too weird?  If it matters, the wall color would be a light neutral shade of bluish gray.  I've seen pictures of rooms like this and it didn't look to bad but they all had flat ceilings.  I'm worried this will look unbalanced or sloppy?  Opinions from the peanut gallery of random internet strangers?

UPDATE-. I chickened out on the two toned idea and just painted everything one color.  Ugh, so far I hate it.  I'm not sure if it's because the color looks much darker in high sun than I anticipated or if it's the one color everywhere.  I painted the first coat yesterday and spent the evening trying to like it...FAIL.  today I'm going to try to lighten the paint with some white that I had originally bought for the ceiling. Both paints are the same brand and sheen so we'll see how this works.  I think my SO I losing patience with the mess this has created so today's  result may be what I have to live with.  *Crossing fingers*
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:08:16 AM by justchristine »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Painting dilemma: awkward ceiling
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
That idea does sound a bit odd to me. [EDIT: Huh...maybe not...those Houzz examples linked below look pretty darn good.] Any chance you can use a tiny paintbrush (think 3rd grade art class) to get into the corner/edge better? I've had to do that before. It takes a lot more time, but generally works out well and looks good.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:26:55 PM by Miss Piggy »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »
Or "cheat" and use tape.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
In any other room I would use tape or a tiny brush but with the vanity and toilet where they are I can't get a ladder close enough to do that kind of detail work.  Although if I had another extension pole, maybe I could bribe the BF to hold a joint knife as a guard to the ceiling while I wedge a smaller brush up there.  I've not had good luck trimming with guards but maybe it would look too bad that high up

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
I think your idea would work just fine. Getting the straight, even line will be tough, but I'm sure you can manage it.

I've got awkward ceilings as well, and am not looking forward to painting the 2nd floor. The plaster curves from the ceiling into the wall, with no break. Even better, it won't work to put crown molding up as a break point. Currently, the walls and ceilings are the same color and I hate that too.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 02:44:23 PM »
I think your idea would work just fine. Getting the straight, even line will be tough, but I'm sure you can manage it.

I've got awkward ceilings as well, and am not looking forward to painting the 2nd floor. The plaster curves from the ceiling into the wall, with no break. Even better, it won't work to put crown molding up as a break point. Currently, the walls and ceilings are the same color and I hate that too.

Its currently all an off white like the rest of this hideous house.  Ive been considering just giving up on the white ceiling for that room.  Maybe with the light  bluish color I chose it wouldn't be so bad.  There's a skylight to keep it from looking too dark.  That would definitely be the easiest option.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »
Try it.
https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/86619231?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u5705&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery6&newsletterId=5705

Lol I just got that in a email which is what prompted this thread.  Like I said, I like it with the flat ceilings but I just can't envision it with this stupid sloped ceiling.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »

You may have to cave and put up a wallpaper border.  That would give you the break you need, right?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 03:45:48 PM »
Try it.
https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/86619231?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u5705&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery6&newsletterId=5705

Lol I just got that in a email which is what prompted this thread.  Like I said, I like it with the flat ceilings but I just can't envision it with this stupid sloped ceiling.

I've got something similar in my house right now, 1st floor. It works. Just make sure you've got a clean edge. Probably looks better with a definite color difference (I've got white ceiling vs beige wall, in low light it just blends together).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:48:32 PM by Sibley »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 03:51:56 PM »

You may have to cave and put up a wallpaper border.  That would give you the break you need, right?

I've thought about it. Problem is, this is the roof line, so it's actually goes pretty low on the outside wall, about halfway down the wall. I'm dealing with higher priority issues, so cosmetic painting is low on the list. Bathroom will be up soon - got a roof leak currently and fix is scheduled. Will be stripping the walls and repainting once everything dries.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 04:01:49 PM »
Have you considered some sort of crown molding detail that could be pre painted before installed?

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
Re: Painting dilemma: awkward ceiling UPDATE
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »
I finished painting and overall am happy with the results. Once I lightened my original intended color to a much lighter shade the room started to look really nice.  I still have some touch ups to do because painting on a sunny day in a room with a skylight is tricky.  The shadows and glare were a major PITA.  Surprisingly, even though the whole room is one color, the ceiling looks lighter or almost white most of the time because of the lighting from the skylight...WIN!

For anyone that will be painting high ceilings, I highly recommend this little guy: https://www.menards.com/main/paint/brushes-rollers-trays/roller-covers/foampro-reg-corner-roller/p-1444430575915-c-8115.htm?tid=8873008687060726535&ipos=2

I'm not usually a fan of paint gadgets but this one worked well and was much faster than a paint brush for edging.  Plus, it can go on an extension pole which all but eliminates the need for a ladder. 

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Painting dilemma: awkward ceiling UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »
Ponyboy purchased a graco airless paint sprayer.  He had no problems doing ceilings and walls.  Looked very professional.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!