Author Topic: Oil change frequency? - 1999 Honda Odyssey  (Read 12427 times)

Lifeblood

• Stubble
Oil change frequency? - 1999 Honda Odyssey
« on: December 19, 2014, 03:19:48 PM »
The local Honda place recommends that we get our 1999 Honda Odyssey oil changed every 3,000 miles. It has 173,000 miles on it. Does that frequency ring true?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Oil change frequency? - 1999 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »
Ignore the mechanic; go by your owner's manual.

If your owner's manual has separate "regular driving" and "severe duty" schedules, keep in mind that most people's driving patterns count as "severe duty."

If in doubt, consider this: who do you want to believe? A mechanic who is not only minimally trained, but who has a profit motive for recommending extra work, or the engineer who designed the engine?

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
Honda says every 7,500 miles.

http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=1999&model=Odyssey#mid^RL186XPKW

I use a high quality synthetic and can probably get away with considerably longer, perhaps 10-15k. Oil today isn't like oil in our grandparents' time.

cartechguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 06:58:03 AM »
You can change the oil every 3500-4500 miles and be fine.  Are you using synthetic oil?  If so you can go up to 8500 miles.  Please NEVER ignore your mechanic we have done this including myself for a LONG TIME!!

That car will keep going and going!! 

An oil change is the cheapest insurance to maintain THE INSIDE of an engine. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:02:52 AM by cartechguy »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »
If you want to know how your oil is doing for your specific vehicle then you need to get an oil analysis done:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/what-is-oil-analysis.php

This is a great way to figure out if you can go longer between oil changes, if you need to change what type of oil you are using, and whether there is a problem developing with your engine.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 03:51:28 PM »
We have a 1996 Honda Odyssey with 202,000 miles on it.  We change the oil every 6,000 miles.

I've learned that it burns about 1qt of oil every 3000 miles, so I make sure to check and add a quart midway between oil changes.

Coincidentally, we only drive about 3,000 miles / year.  So all of these intervals match up nicely on the calendar!

Damn fine vehicle by the way.  We've owned it for 4 years and really haven't had any problems.  We can haul stuff like a truck, and it gets ~25/mpg empty.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 06:14:14 PM »

http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=1999&model=Odyssey#mid^RL186XPKW

Note that that's for the "normal" duty cycle; if you switch the tab to the "severe" duty cycle it says to change the oil every 3,750 miles.

One thing I found interesting is that the "normal" duty cycle says to replace the oil filter only every other oil change (every 15000 miles), whereas the "severe" one says to replace it every oil change.

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »
If you want to know how your oil is doing for your specific vehicle then you need to get an oil analysis done:

This is a great way to figure out if you can go longer between oil changes, if you need to change what type of oil you are using, and whether there is a problem developing with your engine.

I had never heard of this test - very interesting. Is it likely that a local shop would be able to do the test?

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »

I use a high quality synthetic and can probably get away with considerably longer, perhaps 10-15k. Oil today isn't like oil in our grandparents' time.

I don't know what kind of oil is used. I have always trusted the folks at the service place. Maybe I should pay more attention. Any advice on what oil I should ask for?

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
I use Mobile One. Some years ago it was considered the best, but I haven't kept up with my research. Any fully synthetic oil should be fine.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »

I had never heard of this test - very interesting. Is it likely that a local shop would be able to do the test?

I highly doubt a normal local auto shop can do it. Though if you are taking your vehicle to a shop to get the oil changed you can ask them to take a sample for you. You'll need the sample containers first (Blackstone will send you some for free). Once you've collected an oil sample you just mail it to Blackstone. The test costs $25 and they will e-mail you a very in-depth report and a personalized analysis. Example report: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas-engine-sample-report-1.php

ChrisLansing

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
I just look at the oil on the dipstick; if it's clean, no change is needed regardless of mileage.   If it's dirty it needs changing regardless of mileage.   Mileage is a handy way to keep track of when it's "time" to change oil, but really the condition of the oil is the best indicator. 

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »
Unfortunately, color is not a great indicator of the state of the anti-wear components left in the oil.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »
I just look at the oil on the dipstick; if it's clean, no change is needed regardless of mileage.   If it's dirty it needs changing regardless of mileage.   Mileage is a handy way to keep track of when it's "time" to change oil, but really the condition of the oil is the best indicator.

Ecky beat me to it. Dark oil on the dipstick does not automatically mean the oil needs to be changed.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/07/top-10-myths-about-engine-oil.html

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »

Ecky beat me to it. Dark oil on the dipstick does not automatically mean the oil needs to be changed.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/07/top-10-myths-about-engine-oil.html

Not that it's relevant to a Honda, but this is especially true for diesel engines. In those engines, the new oil turns opaque black pretty much immediately.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »

Note that that's for the "normal" duty cycle; if you switch the tab to the "severe" duty cycle it says to change the oil every 3,750 miles.
Also note that it says every 6 mo for normal but no time limit for severe.  Oil should be changed at least once a year unless the engine hasn't been started at all.

I have 4 vehicles (car, truck, small motorcycle and mid-size motorcycle).  All were bought used with cash.
I change my own oil - Dad and GraPa were professional mechanics.
Because my driving is divided between the 4, none of them get driven a "lot".
I change oil on the car and bikes at 5,000 miles - and that's at x5,000 and x0,000 miles on the odometers.  I can see how close I am to the next change every time I drive.
The p/u doesn't go 5,000 miles a year, so it's oil is changed every fall.
Because of the 'short' intervals, I don't use synthetic oil, not fully that is.  The bikes get 1 quart of synthetic and the car gets 2 - it has a turbo.
The truck has 200K, so it gets straight 30wt oil (which is getting harder to find, I need to stock up) and 1 qt synthetic.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 11:03:25 AM »
Because of the 'short' intervals, I don't use synthetic oil, not fully that is.  The bikes get 1 quart of synthetic and the car gets 2 - it has a turbo.

Anything with a turbo really needs full synthetic. It doesn't matter whether the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 10 miles -- you don't want non-synthetic oil trying to lubricate a 100,000+ RPM compressor.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »
Sorry but this is about as wrong as it gets. There is no way in hell to determine the condition of oil by looking at it. One of my company trucks was a diesel pick-up. The oil in that motor turned black almost immediately. I changed it every 5k, and it looked like driveway sealer as it drained out. I regularly sent samples to Blackstone labs, and using their highly sophisticated lab equipment, they regularly encouraged me to think about extending change intervals, since the oil that your "eyeball test" would of failed as filthy and worn out, was in fact in great shape and being disposed of well before it's time.

This applies to ANY engine. Color is NOT a reliable indicator of condition.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »

Also note that it says every 6 mo for normal but no time limit for severe.  Oil should be changed at least once a year unless the engine hasn't been started at all.

I have 4 vehicles (car, truck, small motorcycle and mid-size motorcycle).  All were bought used with cash.
I change my own oil - Dad and GraPa were professional mechanics.
Because my driving is divided between the 4, none of them get driven a "lot".
I change oil on the car and bikes at 5,000 miles - and that's at x5,000 and x0,000 miles on the odometers.  I can see how close I am to the next change every time I drive.
The p/u doesn't go 5,000 miles a year, so it's oil is changed every fall.
The truck has 200K, so it gets straight 30wt oil (which is getting harder to find, I need to stock up) and 1 qt synthetic.

It would be interesting to hear if there is some merit to your blending of dino and synthetic, from an engineering standpoint, but I doubt it.  As for the straight 30 in the high miles truck, it's a bit like insisting on burning whale oil in a camping lantern. Might of been how it was done "back in the day" but it has nothing to do with today's reality.

I have done business with several huge, regional heavy highway and excavating contractors who keep fleets of hundreds of vehicles on the road. One of these outfits has a policy that no light vehicle is worn out until it hits 400K miles. The only exception is if it is totaled in a collision. They do all their own repairs and service and 99% of the fleet gets Rotella 15w-40 conventional oil. Doesn't matter if it's a Focus, a Superduty or a million dollar machine. Given that a few of their specialty, low use vehicles are 40-50 years old, I think they know what they are doing.  If you are going so caveman that you are actually running non-detergent 30 weight, you're stuck with it. However, if you want that thing to last, with less strain and wear at all temps. Do yourself a favor and put the proper grade of modern lubricant in it. BTW, Jack is 100% correct, running anything but top quality 100% synthetic, in a turbo motor that is used very little, is a foolish way to save a few bucks. Literally $7-8 a year.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 05:40:12 AM »
It would be interesting to hear if there is some merit to your blending of dino and synthetic, from an engineering standpoint, but I doubt it.  As for the straight 30 in the high miles truck, it's a bit like insisting on burning whale oil in a camping lantern. Might of been how it was done "back in the day" but it has nothing to do with today's reality.

In my 200k+ mile 4-cylinder Ranger, I've settled on Valvoline NextGen (50% recycled) synthetic 5w-30. The used oil analysis I had done came back good too.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »

It would be interesting to hear if there is some merit to your blending of dino and synthetic, from an engineering standpoint, but I doubt it. 
I adopted that after reading a book by automotive racing engineer Smokey Yunick (among many books).
Something like 70% of the benefit at 30% the cost.
He also said it's a waste of money to run full synthetic w/o doing regular oil analysis to know when to change it.
That was 20(?) yrs ago.  Since then many semi-synthetic (blended) motor oils have come on the market; so I'm confident in saying there definitely is merit.
I still 'blend my own' to know exactly how much synthetic is used.

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
Does anyone else get the Blackstone oil test for their regular cars? We use ours mostly for city driving, with occasional trips into the mountains.  I am wondering if it is really worth the extra expense. Based on what I have read above, it seems that I should bring my Honda in for an oil change every 3,750 miles and be done with it, since this has been working for us so far.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 02:30:49 AM »
As for the testing question, it's a toss up. They can find serious problems, like premature engine wear and gasket failures, anti-freeze markers and metals in the oil, etc.... but If I was really curious I would only do it once a year, or so. IMHO, too costly for your application if done at every change. I did it frequently on a very expensive diesel engine while it was under warranty. In that case, finding an issue with a $13K engine is well worth the expense, if the warranty is going to cover it.

As for your change frequency, 15 years down the road from when it was built, given the current technology, I think that a 3750 frequency is extreme overkill. I would learn how to do the job, since it's a 15 minute, super easy task, then do it myself. I would use Mobil 1 and a mid-grade filter from Wal-Mart ( NEVER use the cheap Fram filters) and change it every 5-6K.  This will lower your costs by 2/3rd, and the engine will last as long as you need it to, and beyond.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »
As for the testing question, it's a toss up. They can find serious problems, like premature engine wear and gasket failures, anti-freeze markers and metals in the oil, etc.... but If I was really curious I would only do it once a year, or so. IMHO, too costly for your application if done at every change.

Even that's excessive, IMHO. I've owned my truck since 160k or so, did an analysis at 200k, and might do another one at 250k or so.

Grande

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »
I 've owed 3 Hondas including a 2000 Accord, similar/same engine as yours. The manuals often read every 6250 miles (yes, kinda an odd number). Every one has a different answer on frequency of oil changes. In other words there is no correct answer.  I personally do about every 5000 miles but use synthetic. Yes it is more expensive but I find I burn less of it (maybe 1/2 qt an oil change) so that helps justify the expense. The other thing is that its said you can go longer using synthetic. Again everyone has an opinion on it but what's universal is to change it at reasonable intervals.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »
Even that's excessive, IMHO. I've owned my truck since 160k or so, did an analysis at 200k, and might do another one at 250k or so.

The problem with that is that oil analysis works best when it's finding trends in YOUR engine - not just comparing numbers to other similar engines.

If you're doing analysis every oil change, they can identify trends like "increasing bronze in your oil over the last few changes" that mean you've got something wearing abnormally, whereas what you're doing isn't really worth it at all - it's not likely to identify things before they fail, and they can't give you good data about your engine.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!