Author Topic: Nail Gun for Installing a cedar siding shingles?  (Read 4814 times)

Polak_maly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Nail Gun for Installing a cedar siding shingles?
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »
I already have air compressor (Porter Cable) from HomeDepot and looking for a nailer. Any recommendations? I have HomeDepot, Lowe's, and Harbor Freight within quick driving distance but obviously online works as well.

I need to replace two walls so old-school hammer and nails would take too much time :)

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math

risky4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Nail Gun for Installing a cedar siding shingles?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 01:41:24 PM »
For applying our cedar siding I bought a Makita AN611 coil nailer after reading many reviews on nailers. It is a 'coil' nailer and I was shooting stainless steel ring shanked nails with it. It worked great and had a very useful depth adjuster on it. You might want to check on renting one if your Home Depot or similar local stores have them. A good siding gun is $300 and if it's not something your likely to use often, renting makes more sense.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:49:42 PM »
I would advise against the porter cable coil nailer that is carried at most HD's.  It was bargain priced vs. the others.  I bought it and it constantly jams.  Porter cable makes great finish nailers though.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 05:32:24 AM »
Are screws an option?  I always prefer screwing over nailing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 06:12:11 AM »
Not if he wants to get the job done fast enough that all the siding still matches, lol..

OP, consider a gun specifically designed for cable coil nails. DeWalt also makes one.

Don't rent, but strategize to minimize the cost. Search for discounted gift cards: it's usually pretty easy to find 10% off, then look for 10% off purchase coupons on eBay. Stacking discounts takes a little extra time, but worth the savings. Of course, it works for the nails, too.

If you're going to rent anything, consider scaffolding to make the job easier. Shop like hell for all the materials. When we did it, persistence paid off. Enough to buy a new nail gun and then some.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 06:22:06 AM »
Only takes a few minutes to screw!

Not if he wants to get the job done fast enough that all the siding still matches, lol..

OP, consider a gun specifically designed for cable coil nails. DeWalt also makes one.

Don't rent, but strategize to minimize the cost. Search for discounted gift cards: it's usually pretty easy to find 10% off, then look for 10% off purchase coupons on eBay. Stacking discounts takes a little extra time, but worth the savings. Of course, it works for the nails, too.

If you're going to rent anything, consider scaffolding to make the job easier. Shop like hell for all the materials. When we did it, persistence paid off. Enough to buy a new nail gun and then some.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 06:49:36 AM »
Only takes a few minutes to screw!

Nice tool! However, a few minutes times hundreds of shingles, even in strips, is still a major time suck. Even Especially if you're FIRE, there are so many other fun things to do.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 04:44:42 AM »
I’ve never heard of anyone using screws for cedar shakes.   It just isn’t done.
I suspect you would split a lot of the shakes using screws. 

They really aren’t too bad to hand nail if you don’t have massive square footage.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
Screws would we terrible for the person who has to replace the shingles one day.