Author Topic: Motorcycle Tilts To The Right  (Read 8407 times)

urover

• Stubble
Motorcycle Tilts To The Right
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
I've a cheap motorcycle (works as a 'scooter' for those accustomed to that word) that I've been riding for about 9 years now. I've owned and sold two cars in between but the motorcycle continues. Recently, I made the mistake of handing over the bike to the dealer for service and he messed it up. The fork cone set was replaced and fork trued, but after the truing I now notice that the bike tilts to the right. No, it won't pull to the right if I leave the handles while riding, but it tilts at an angle when riding. At 0kmph, it looks perfectly alright. The new front tire also seems to be wearing away more on the right.

I let several mechanics take a look at it but none of them appear to have the sensitivity to detect minute changes in the ride. I can afford to buy a new motorcycle but I don't want to, although my current one has been a cry baby of late. The reason is that the engine still sounds sweet and has atleast another 2-3 years of life in it. I have no other problems with it either.

So, what could it be? Could it be unequally filled fork oil? Could it be my rear suspension dying (possibly not, because the rear tire shows no signs of uneven wear)? Could it be a bent down tube? Bad wheel alignment (already had it checked with several mechanics)? Please help.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Motorcycle Tilts To The Right
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
Is it the handle bars that're tweaked to the right, or the whole bike is leaning? 

I don't know what kind of bike you have, or what adjustments it has... but check the following:
-That each of the forks is even in the triple. (Ie, same hieght)
-That the tripled wasn't assembled "Twisted."
-that each of the spring preload adjusters are equal.

After wrecking my track bike, it leaned to the left because the triple was twised. Supporting the bike so the front tire was just off the ground, loosening all but 1 of the fork tubd clamps, and twisting 'till it was straight fixed it.

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
Can you clarify on tilts?   Am I right in that it leans to the right but drives relatively straight?

The reason I ask is bc it could be fork/tree related or could be something else entirely, like rolling components, wheel out of true/not adjusted.  Or....and this is kinda weird, but your previous setup may have naturally tilted it and you learned to ride it accordingly.  Now you have your weight shifted/bars not uite straight/ whatever that you used to compensate with and it's making the bike tilt.

The wheel thing is bugging me though - cant figure that one out.  Also is it possible they didn't do a good job and actually made it more out of true than before?

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:46:28 PM »
Can you clarify on tilts?   Am I right in that it leans to the right but drives relatively straight?

The reason I ask is bc it could be fork/tree related or could be something else entirely, like rolling components, wheel out of true/not adjusted.  Or....and this is kinda weird, but your previous setup may have naturally tilted it and you learned to ride it accordingly.  Now you have your weight shifted/bars not uite straight/ whatever that you used to compensate with and it's making the bike tilt.

Yes, you're correct. The motorcycle leans to the right but rides straight. I think you could be right with the tree as well. I'm guessing that the fork T has bent to the left, thus making the entire front fork bend to the left just a bit, thus causing the effect of the bike leaning to the right and the tire wearing out on the right.

I'll need to get the frame checked for bends. Not many who can do it in the city, have to travel long and far.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:38:20 AM by vsanjay »

charles_roberts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
Sounds like the handlebar alignment. Something you can adjust in one screw.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:44:40 AM »
This reminds me of riding my motorcycle across west Texas in a serious crosswind. I had to lean right for hundreds of miles just to keep going straight.

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It was a cold spring day in Casper, Wyoming.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »
This reminds me of riding my motorcycle across west Texas in a serious crosswind. I had to lean right for hundreds of miles just to keep going straight.

I've been there, nothing like sustained 20 mph crosswind with up to 50 mph gusts to keep things lively. Even more fun when you have 50/50 tires.