Author Topic: Mason jar lids rusting  (Read 67107 times)

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Mason jar lids rusting
« on: August 13, 2015, 04:38:16 PM »
How can I prevent my mason jar lids from rusting?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mason jar lids rusting
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »
I assume you're reusing them, but really they're not meant for reuse.  Buy the plastic lids for multiple uses.  We do some canning and always use new lid centers of course, but the rings eventually will rust when the finish wears off.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:50:39 AM »
To stop rust on rings you should take them off the jars after they have cooled and sealed, make sure they are dry before you store them.  The lids aren't supposed to be reused unless they are the three-piece ones with a separate rubber gasket that is replaced each time.  As far as lids rusting while in use, I don't know.

Also, I love the plastic screw top lids.  We've been using them with mason jars for freezing now and works great without the worry of using plastic.  I stored a bunch of soup and tomatoes this way.   

Also, slightly off-topic but there are also other tops:
http://www.nwedible.com/how-to-turn-a-mason-jar-into-a-fermenting-crock/
http://masonjars.com/

Luthien

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:18:45 AM »
The short answer is you can't. Plastic tops are awesome for storage where you don't need the canning seal.

You can get stainless steel lids and rings, which wouldn't rust, but they are pretty pricey.

http://www.ecojarz.com/products/small-mouth-stainless-steel-jar-band/

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »
For a canning seal, you should be using new lids every time - and you should use up your canned food long before the lid has time to rust (most home canned food should be used within 1-2 years).

Screw on plastic lids are great for short term dry, refrigerator, or freezer storage. Many lids on plastic jars of food purchased at the grocery store fit; however, lids marketed for use on mason jars often include a gasket to provide a better seal.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »
Also: don't wash the rings in the dishwasher. Every time I give away a jar of canned goods to someone with a dishwasher, inevitably the ring returns with the jar pitted with rust.

I'm assuming you're having issues with the rings rusting, not the lids. If it's the lids rusting, then you're storing the canned goods in an environment that's way too humid. Add a dehumidifier, especially if it's in the basement. Humidity high enough to rust Mason jar lids is more than high enough to promote all sorts of nasty mold/mildew growth.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »
Also: don't wash the rings in the dishwasher. Every time I give away a jar of canned goods to someone with a dishwasher, inevitably the ring returns with the jar pitted with rust.

This.  Wash them by hand, and they'll last a while.  Put them in the dishwasher, and they rust after the first washing.  If you're not canning, the plastic lids are fantastic AND they are safe to stick in the dishwasher.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
Also... don't store the rings on the jars.  Two reasons; The rust, which happens when trapped water/siphoned liquid can't evaporate from between the jar and the ring,  and also you can't tell when a seal goes bad if the lid is screwed on.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 06:02:09 AM »
It's because of all the things suggested: we have washed the rings in the dishwasher, we have forgotten to dry the rings after hand-washing them, and we have stored the rings and lids on empty jars and had water condense on the inside. Even taking care of those, I would think they would eventually rust. Any way I could coat them with wax or another substance and prevent rust?

We haven't actually done any actual canning yet (though we do have a pressure cooker), we just use the jars for fridge storage. For example, for homemade kimchi. The liquid gets on the ring, and rust forms. For that, I just need to go for a different lid.

Here's the plastic lid.

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Regular-Mouth-Storage-Caps/dp/B0000BYC4B

I might go with the stainless caps Luthien suggested despite the expense. Any opinions on the whole plastic leeching thing?

Thanks for all the help.

Luthien

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »
Any opinions on the whole plastic leeching thing?

The plastic lid won't be in contact with your food if you store the jars upright, so plastic leeching shouldn't be an issue.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
For kimchi and other ferments, use a ReCap plastic lid and modify with an airlock and bung:

http://www.nwedible.com/how-to-turn-a-mason-jar-into-a-fermenting-crock/

I don't do any ferments myself but Erica is the shit.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 09:05:41 AM »
For kimchi and other ferments, use a ReCap plastic lid and modify with an airlock and bung:

I saw that from totoro's post above. Looks neat. I already have one airlock from that one time I made apple cider. Until now, I've been using freezer bags for kimchi. I supposed if I want to move away from plastic contacting food, I could try this route, but I'd need to pick up a few of these because one batch of kimchi fills 3-4 quart jars.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »
They do make 1/2 gallon Mason jars.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 09:39:48 PM »

My pantry is full of them.  Perfect for dry goods, and as a bonus, they look nice as well.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:11 PM »
re: plastic leaching.

I have moved away from having plastic in direct contact with a ferment (plastic bag filled with brine style) because my research suggests the pH of a fermented food + the soft pliable plastic of something like a ziplock bag can be problematic. But, I use those ball plastic lids linked to above ALL. THE. TIME. for storage. I really prefer to avoid metal lids once jars are in the fridge. It is a small irritation I am happy to avoid with the purchase of a 50-cent plastic lid or 24. Those plastic lids have been very durable. I am not concerned about leaching with them because they are never in contact with the food itself. reCAPs are also fabulous, but I save them for situations where the pour and/or flip lid actually makes a difference, not just for everyday storage of ferments and jams.

In terms of the rust on the rings, I don't think you can do much more than postpone the inevitable. They will eventually rust, especially when in contact with acidic ferment juices. The good news is, once you start actually canning, magically you will have 10 zillion rings and will have a new problem - where to store them when you aren't using them! ;) Oh, and just to confirm: you say you have a pressure cooker - you aren't planning on pressure canning with that are you?

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »

I saw that from totoro's post above. Looks neat. I already have one airlock from that one time I made apple cider. Until now, I've been using freezer bags for kimchi. I supposed if I want to move away from plastic contacting food, I could try this route, but I'd need to pick up a few of these because one batch of kimchi fills 3-4 quart jars.

You could also theoretically just drill an appropriate sized hole in a standard 2-piece flat and fit it with a bung and airlock. That might work too. I have enough reCAPs hanging around that it's less hassle to use them.

If you use a wide mouth mason jar for your ferment, a reg mouth half-pint of 4 oz mason jar is a PERFECT weight. Just FYI.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
Oh, and just to confirm: you say you have a pressure cooker - you aren't planning on pressure canning with that are you?

Yes? No? It's a Kuhn Rikon, and the manual says I can use it for canning. Maybe I can't use it for all kinds of canning? For example if I need to control the pressure precisely.

Is it worth trying to reuse pickle jars?

If you use a wide mouth mason jar for your ferment, a reg mouth half-pint of 4 oz mason jar is a PERFECT weight. Just FYI.

Instructions unclear, eating kimchi while exercising with jar...

Ah, okay, just found your article on DIY fermenting weights. I was not familiar with the concept.

ConnieRetek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 04:40:42 AM »
Hi,

This is the only reason I always prefer to buy the dispensers with stainless lids.

They are quite out of budget but to prevent the rusting part, I always prefer the stainless lids for my mason jars or the drink dispensers. Here are some of the stores you can prefer while buying a good quality mason jars.

https://www.pepperfry.com/dining-drinkware-mason-jars.html
http://www.classichostess.com/blog/best-drink-dispensers
https://www.chumbak.com/storage-mason-jars/eOe/c/

I hope you will like the collection :)