Author Topic: Magnetic Screen Door vs Sliding screen door?  (Read 7597 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Magnetic Screen Door vs Sliding screen door?
« on: July 20, 2018, 03:11:17 PM »
Hey all,

Was curious if anyone has installed those magnetic screen doors that look kinda like curtains as opposed to a standard swinging or sliding screen door. We're looking at replacing our front door screen door and I was initially considering a sliding screen door. I saw the magnetic curtain-like ones but they look a little tacky to me. Anyone have experience with any of these or thoughts?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:16:42 PM by jeromedawg »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
Re: Magnetic Screen Door vs Sliding screen door?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
Growing up we had the magnetic curtain type. My parents have since replaced with the pocket furling/unfurling type in that house and it is a MAJOR improvement.
The magnetic sort are never quite shut all the way, or there's a gap at the bottom, or someone wasn't paying attention... Bugs are always gonna get through that type. If you live in a place with a crap ton of mosquitos, you will probably regret the magnetic curtain variety.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
Growing up we had the magnetic curtain type. My parents have since replaced with the pocket furling/unfurling type in that house and it is a MAJOR improvement.
The magnetic sort are never quite shut all the way, or there's a gap at the bottom, or someone wasn't paying attention... Bugs are always gonna get through that type. If you live in a place with a crap ton of mosquitos, you will probably regret the magnetic curtain variety.

What is a "pocketing furling/unfurling type" ?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Exterior-Doors-Screen-Doors/Retractable/N-5yc1vZbaedZ1z0zybt
Like these. They roll up out of the way so they don't impeed the view but they click/lock into place when closed.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Exterior-Doors-Screen-Doors/Retractable/N-5yc1vZbaedZ1z0zybt
Like these. They roll up out of the way so they don't impeed the view but they click/lock into place when closed.

Ahhh ok. Yea that's what I meant when I initially stated "sliding" but now I realize that was the wrong terminology haha. These are the "retractable" screen doors, which is what I meant and is what you're referring to as well. Yea, these are pricey but seems like they're probably the best for the job.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 04:21:38 PM »
*Disclaimer* Not a homeowner

Our rental had one of those and it never worked correctly always rolling in/out all jumbled and crooked. Maybe it was missing parts or installed incorrectly but I hated it and never used it. It's like a sideways roller blind which usually sucks. We ended up taking it down and having no screen door instead of dealing with it. I don't see the appeal of them over a standard swinging screen door. Then again I don't know the installation or cost differences either.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »
The magnetic curtain type is cheap, but it won't work very well.   There will be gaps at times allowing bugs to get in.
Get a good slider if possible.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »
We have Phantom screens. They are quite pricey IMO, but work far better than the less expensive brand my mother purchased. The Phantom people install them for you and come with a lifetime warranty, IIRC. We ordered through Lowe’s.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 08:18:58 AM »
My experience matches therethere’s. I’ve used cheap magnetic (which I was actually happy with, as a one-season measure -the improvement was vast, we had no bugs in a very buggy area, all was well). I’ve also lived in a rental that had a (cost unknown) sliding-pocket one -this one was problematic.

I would go with regular, swinging screen door. Low maintenance, long-lasting...and I also just love a swinging screen door :)

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
We also have phantom screens -- they came with this house but I would absolutely install them in another home.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 02:22:05 PM »
I have a retractable screen on my garden door, and while I like it a lot, as it eliminates the need for another door, beware if you have pets.  My cats have figured out that they only need to push their heads against the bottom of the screen and the magnetic catch will release.  I am forever going after them to shut it.  Also, the dog scratches when she wants in and has put a hole in the screen, but this would have happened with a swinging door style too.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »
So I had a local handyman come out to check things out and he pointed out that the frame isn't square due to either subpar construction of it or shifting foundation. He said he could maybe replace the current one I have for $200 labor costs. Cost of the door would be whatever I decide on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/exLLarVfUHeGgQm86

Because of the fact that it would require shimming and filling (and my dad actually tried shimming it already), I'm kinda of veering away from trying to DIY this. $200 for labor/installation seems like a pretty reasonable price for not having to deal with trying to hang and re-hang it till it's straight, etc. Seems most decent doors are around $130ish.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:58:41 AM by jeromedawg »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
Cheap crap that didn't work.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
$200 for labor/installation seems like a pretty reasonable price for not having to deal with trying to hang and re-hang it till it's straight, etc.

Agreed.

TrMama

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »
So I had a local handyman come out to check things out and he pointed out that the frame isn't square due to either subpar construction of it or shifting foundation. He said he could maybe replace the current one I have for $200 labor costs. Cost of the door would be whatever I decide on.

Because of the fact that it would require shimming and filling (and my dad actually tried shimming it already), I'm kinda of veering away from trying to DIY this. $200 for labor/installation seems like a pretty reasonable price for not having to deal with trying to hang and re-hang it till it's straight, etc. Seems most decent doors are around $130ish.

This is what I'd recommend. We have a mixture of retractable screen doors (Wizard and Phantom) as well as a metal security screen door on one door. The big difference in them is price and durability. Retractable screen doors are incompatible with pets and provide zero security. Heck, even a rat could easily squeeze under the retractable door.

The security screen door is the bomb, but cost a fortune and took 2 different handymen to install. Just like your door, ours was way out of square in all 3 dimensions. The first handyman tried to squeeze it in and the result looked like crap. The 2nd, much more competent, handyman removed both the exterior and the screen door, rebuilt the frame to be square and then reinstalled both doors.

Pretty sure this is the door we have, https://www.amazon.com/Meshtec-Ultimate-Security-tensile-strength-stainless/dp/B073X6RKCW.

For those complaining about crappy retraction of the retractable screens, try spraying the tracks with silicone spray (it comes with the doors). I finally did all ours this summer (after 8 years of neglect) and they work like new.

frugalone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Single and Enjoying the FIRE
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »
The magnetic curtain type is cheap, but it won't work very well.   There will be gaps at times allowing bugs to get in.
Get a good slider if possible.

Agree completely with this! They are an  "AS SEEN ON TV" gazingus pin.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »

This is what I'd recommend. We have a mixture of retractable screen doors (Wizard and Phantom) as well as a metal security screen door on one door. The big difference in them is price and durability. Retractable screen doors are incompatible with pets and provide zero security. Heck, even a rat could easily squeeze under the retractable door.

The security screen door is the bomb, but cost a fortune and took 2 different handymen to install. Just like your door, ours was way out of square in all 3 dimensions. The first handyman tried to squeeze it in and the result looked like crap. The 2nd, much more competent, handyman removed both the exterior and the screen door, rebuilt the frame to be square and then reinstalled both doors.

Pretty sure this is the door we have, https://www.amazon.com/Meshtec-Ultimate-Security-tensile-strength-stainless/dp/B073X6RKCW.

For those complaining about crappy retraction of the retractable screens, try spraying the tracks with silicone spray (it comes with the doors). I finally did all ours this summer (after 8 years of neglect) and they work like new.

Around what did you end up spending if you don't mind me asking? The first handyman brought a friend along and both were saying how it's not square but they could "try some things" to make it fit. It would suck if it ended up being like the first contractor/handyman you had come out where they do a hack-job and it ends up looking awful... I found this handyman through local recommendations from neighbors on Nextdoor though, so he sounds pretty legit - one neighbor had their windows recently installed/upgraded and the company that did them installed them crooked and told them there was nothing they could do. They had this guy take a look and he fixed it, so that's a bit reassuring. I think he's a general contractor but seems to be willing to take these small jobs as well.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:37:59 PM by jeromedawg »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
I have a couple brothers that got the magnetic screen doors. They worked just fine until the stitching or fabric tore at the top.  They both have a lot of very active kids, so it was not unexpected.

TrMama

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »

Around what did you end up spending if you don't mind me asking? The first handyman brought a friend along and both were saying how it's not square but they could "try some things" to make it fit. It would suck if it ended up being like the first contractor/handyman you had come out where they do a hack-job and it ends up looking awful... I found this handyman through local recommendations from neighbors on Nextdoor though, so he sounds pretty legit - one neighbor had their windows recently installed/upgraded and the company that did them installed them crooked and told them there was nothing they could do. They had this guy take a look and he fixed it, so that's a bit reassuring. I think he's a general contractor but seems to be willing to take these small jobs as well.

8 years ago it was $700 for the metal door and another $700 for install. The door is in our MIL suite and MIL contracted guy#1. He was a distributor for these doors and I didn't get a chance to vet him before MIL set it up. House is owned by DH and I though and we get final say about changes/upgrades. MIL paid 50% ($700) upfront with the rest due on completion.

On completion I was called down for a final sign off before guy#1 was to get his final cheque. As soon as I saw it I asked that he redo it. It was installed so it was sticking too far out to put the exterior trim back on. Guy#1 blamed our out of square frame. I replied that he'd damaged my house and I wasn't paying him till he returned it to it's original condition. He threatened to take me to small claims court. I told him to go right ahead. He didn't get his final 50%.

Guy #2 charged $700 or $800 to uninstall, rebuild frame and reinstall. He'd come highly recommended by a coworker who'd recently done a huge addition. Door works great. However, if you have really tiny bugs the mesh size may not be small enough. It's great for cats though and is super secure.

sillysassy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 12:17:28 AM »
oh wow $700 for an installation? thats too much! :(

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »
I installed a retractable screen door by myself (I'm not very strong or handy) a few years ago.  Cost:  about $150 from HD.  I didn't get it quite perfectly level, and I allow it to get pretty dirty, so after the first year, I just decided not to use that screen for walking through (there's another entry very close by).  It works fine as a window for cross-vent, but if I had to use it every day I'd remove it.  BUT...one year a pal came over and spent about an hour pulling up grime and dirt from the bottom track and spraying WD-40 in there and working the screen back and forth and then it worked great...until I rented the place out and it basically sealed itself shut again. 

For my new place, I'm buying one of the magnetic magic ones, but instead of attaching with velcro at the top, it works with a tension rod (for a sliding glass door).  Not sure yet how that will be, but two neighbors use them and swear by them.

Update:  It's great!  Better than the sliding screen that comes with the door.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:11:31 PM by BlueHouse »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
We just got one of the magnetic curtain ones. Yes, they are flimsy and yes, they are insecure against any animal and yes, there are gaps that bugs can get through.  But for $20 and 20 minutes of installation, I'm satisfied, because now I can leave the front door open on nice days for the fresh air.  A real door would require an outlay of time and money for something that isn't a high priority for me right now.

sillysassy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
We just got one of the magnetic curtain ones. Yes, they are flimsy and yes, they are insecure against any animal and yes, there are gaps that bugs can get through.  But for $20 and 20 minutes of installation, I'm satisfied, because now I can leave the front door open on nice days for the fresh air.  A real door would require an outlay of time and money for something that isn't a high priority for me right now.
same here. i am with you on this. i did some googling, read some bloggers reviews on magnetic insect screen doors, figured it that i can probably get a $15 net screen door from the stores or internet and fix it myself.

i admit it wasn't as fast as i thought. i spent more than an hour on it... and it wasn't perfect. lol but it was really cheap to diy

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!