Author Topic: LED lighting standards in USA homes - 110vac, 12vdc or a combination?  (Read 1909 times)

UKfire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi there,

I'm proposing to my son who actually lives in Mexico where the mains voltage is ~127vac that he has LED lighting installed in his new apartment that's currently under construction.

In the UK where I live we have two mains standards for kitchen and bathroom spot lighting; the ~230vac GU10 style halogen replacement and the 12vac/dc which should be used in wet areas such as kitchens and bathrooms particularly where the light could be within reach.

What are the main standards for LED spot lighting in the USA fellow Mustachions?

I've suggested my Son speak with the builder's electrician but I'd like to give him the benefit of some independent advice and experience.

Thank you.

Regards,
Steve
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:51:37 AM by stevenma »

trammatic

• Stubble
Pretty much all residential lighting is at 120vac.  Some RVs or other smaller applications might use 12vdc.

kvaruni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Don't know how widespread it is in the UK to have 12vac/dc in wet areas. From what I know, it is only required when positioned above the bath and when the ceiling is lower than 2.2m. My house is fitted with GU10 in the bathroom and it passed all inspections. Another problem with 12vac/dc is also that plenty can go wrong (bulb, fitting, transformer), so I would stick with the simpler GU10 style. That being said, in the UK at least you have a wide assortment of IP65 rated GU10 fittings which are suitable for use throughout the bathroom and kitchen so I would opt for a similar alternative in Mexico.

mikesinWV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Pretty much all residential lighting is at 120vac.  Some RVs or other smaller applications might use 12vdc.

The only thing not 120 would be the wiring for a stove/range, dryer, heat pump, etc and that would be 240.  The only low-voltage wiring I've seen in a house is for a door bell.