Author Topic: Lawn Mower Won't Start  (Read 1874 times)

Mr. Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Lawn Mower Won't Start
« on: July 28, 2018, 11:08:51 AM »
I have a Cub Cadet cc 760 es commercial walk behind mower with an electric starter.  I was cutting the grass yesterday and had to stop the mower after the mulch plug popped out.  I reinserted the mulch plug and attempted to start it back up again.  I didn’t put it to the choke setting first as I thought the engine was already warmed up.  I think it initially made a sound like it was starting to turn over but then it promptly died.  When I turn the key I get nothing at all, no sound or anything.  I have no idea if attempting to start the mower without putting it to choke had anything to do with this or if it was just coincidence. 

I swapped out a new battery this morning and also put tried a new fuse and there was still no sound when I turn the key.  The LCD service minder on the dash/handle area is showing the battery voltage at 12.5 so that is still displaying.  I’m not sure what else this could be.  Any guidance or ideas of things to try I’d appreciate it. I will upload some photos in a bit, my phone just died as I started to work on this. 

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
Re: Lawn Mower Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
I would get a meter and check for continuity of the wiring for all applicable points.  it certainly sounds like you have an open circuit somewhere.  It may just be dirty contacts.  Disconnect the battery and clean all applicable contacts.  Reconnect and try again.  Inspect for broken or frayed wiring.

You will soon get better directions.  Everyboduy has had lawn mower trouble.

Mr. Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
Thanks Pecunia.  I've got a non-contact voltage tester so I'll check if that will work.  I wonder too if it's the ignition now.

Mr. Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
The LCD display is still showing there is power from the battery.

Mr. Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 02:01:08 PM »
I got it to work now.  As best I can tell, the mechanism that connects to the blade control handle that needs to be manually pushed and held down after the engine is started was most likely stuck in the engaged position under the lawn mower.  I jiggled those connections coming down from that handle as they made their way under the lawn mower and I heard something click and then it started.  So it appears it was a safety mechanism that was preventing it from starting.  Thanks for the help though.  I was damn close to getting it serviced so I sure am glad I won't have to do that now. 

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 05:18:56 PM »
Good - It may happen again and you'll have an idea where to look.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!