Author Topic: Lamps, LED bulbs, dimmers, and all about interior lighting  (Read 925 times)

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
Lamps, LED bulbs, dimmers, and all about interior lighting
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:09:06 PM »
Hello,

I have recently been granted a (well-deserved) fabulous office at work. Now that I have moved in, it seems rather dark, even though I have a nice big window with trees outside. Rather than losing my soul under the standard fluorescent lights (I HATE the color, and I can HEAR the 60 Hz buzzzzzzzzzz), I brought in a desk lamp from home. I want to buy at least a couple more lamps, but they MUST be dimmable. I love dimmers.

I was looking at floor-standing lamps, such as this one on Amazon (below). The product description says the included bulb is not dimmable--but there is no mention of whether it will work with other dimmable LEDs. (Will not use CFLs or halogens--that is a non-starter!) One review actually says it will NOT.

Here's my main question--I do like older lamps made for the old tungsten. Won't most of those work with dimmable LEDs? Will this lamp work with a dimmable LED and an LED dimmer? I thought the dimmable-ness depended on the bulb and not so much the fixture/lamp! Is there something I'm missing here? Please tell me what to look for!

If I don't find anything I like at the local thrift store (wondering whether older lamps will work with dimmable LEDs) or Target, I might buy one of these:

I am looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D44ZVJW/?coliid=I4E5DA5D1X9QW&colid=2B1HM6CFFZN3A&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But, this one would be my second choice: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797FYNGF/?coliid=I19GUF74LNW7NA&colid=2B1HM6CFFZN3A&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Will either or both (or neither) do what I want?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:17:59 PM by ObviouslyNotAGolfer »

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
Re: Lamps, LED bulbs, dimmers, and all about interior lighting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:54:31 PM »
When you are shopping for LED bulbs, always take a look at the Lighting Facts label. Choose a color temperature close to 2700K, which is the warmer end of the spectrum, for the tungsten color you love.

As far as dimmers go, it's still hit or miss, but generally you should 1) buy bulbs that say dimmable and 2) dimmers that say they are LED compatible. The older magnetic dimmers will give you trouble.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 07:52:48 AM »
Lamps are just copper wire so, yeah, it'll work with a dimmable bulb and a dimmer.

How are you hooking up the dimmer, though? From the wall? Just remember what jpdx wrote: there are LED dimmers and there are CFL/incandescent dimmers. The LED dimmers should match the bulb, too (they'll have a long list of compatible bulbs).

There are dimmable LEDs in my kitchen that change kelvin color as they're dimmed. They go from near 3000k to 2300k. Pretty cool.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 07:17:35 AM »
Your absolute best solution is to go buy a lamp with some good ole' incandescent bulbs.  Some LED bulbs are dimmable but many are not.  There are many types of dimmers and some won't work with some LED lamps.  If you hate the white, white of fluorescents, a regular old technology incandescent is your best bet.  Plenty of yellow and no blue.