Author Topic: Kitchen Floors - Thinking Peel & Stick Vinyl Planks  (Read 18076 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Kitchen Floors - Thinking Peel & Stick Vinyl Planks
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »
They look as real as the Wood Grain Luxury Vinyl planks and are 1/3rd the cost.  Also quicker to install.  If one gets messed up.. just peel off and replace with a spare.  I'd keep like 50 spare planks I guess, in case there is a lot of damage over the years.  Less than $1 per square foot.  I see installs of it on youtube and it looks like wood.  I was considering ceramic wood like but that's a lot more money and time and they are really dull, not shiny enough for me to look like real wood.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Kitchen Floors - Thinking Peel & Stick Vinyl Planks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:21:56 AM »
Used something similar in a previous home in our laundry room - overall we were very pleased with it.  Wears very good and super easy to install.  It's not a true hardwood floor but at that price it does a good visual impersonation. 

Biggest piece of advice I can give is to make sure that your subfloor is flat and level with no uneven joints anywhere.  If there's glue or tile adhesive make sure to run a sander over it first and vacuum up the dust.  If its in poor shape either replace or overlay new plywood on top.  Bumps underneiith the vinyl will telegraph through.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
Keep in mind that the adhesive will weaken over the years, with some warping. It’s easy to fix, you can just nail them back down.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:27:53 AM »
I had this in an apartment I rented. I didn't even know it was a thing, I thought it was all the laminate plank. When the maintenance guy came in and peeled it up and stuck another piece down, I was pretty shocked! Overall I liked it, and it stood up to wear (two dogs at the time) pretty well.

Not to hijack the thread, but can you install this over standard kitchen tiles? Would the slightly-recessed grout be an issue?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 08:38:00 AM »
Also FWIW it looks like THD has these that are slightly larger (6x34 instead of 4x34, so 68 sq. inches more) for a few cents less per.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Walnut-Ember-Grey-6-in-x-36-in-Peel-and-Stick-Vinyl-Plank-36-sq-ft-case-HP3197A/300827568

additionally an offer: Get $25 off your order by spending $500 on Hardwood, Vinyl Plank and Laminate flooring

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 01:55:29 PM »
Hard stop!

You need LVT, (luxury vinyl tile) this peel and stick stuff never performs as well as advertised.

Look up life proof flooring at home depot. Its water proof tongue and groove and pretty dang cheap. IMO/IME its 90% as good as tile but with 1/4 of the cost/effort and a hell of a lot easier to install. Bonus it wont crack when you drop a cast iron pan on it.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 04:39:24 PM »
I had this in an apartment I rented. I didn't even know it was a thing, I thought it was all the laminate plank. When the maintenance guy came in and peeled it up and stuck another piece down, I was pretty shocked! Overall I liked it, and it stood up to wear (two dogs at the time) pretty well.

Not to hijack the thread, but can you install this over standard kitchen tiles? Would the slightly-recessed grout be an issue?

Yeah it has to be a perfectly flat surface.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »
Hard stop!

You need LVT, (luxury vinyl tile) this peel and stick stuff never performs as well as advertised.

Look up life proof flooring at home depot. Its water proof tongue and groove and pretty dang cheap. IMO/IME its 90% as good as tile but with 1/4 of the cost/effort and a hell of a lot easier to install. Bonus it wont crack when you drop a cast iron pan on it.

I've been considering Lifeproof LVP.  Also looked into ceramic tile and wood like ceramic tile.  I pretty much looked into everything.  Seems as though the vinyl is the same on top of the LVP versus stick on, so why would I pay three times more just to have it floating?  Also replacing a messed up peel and stick is easy to fix.

Also, I don't really like any of the color offerings from lifeproof or most manufacters for that matter.  All are light and aged/rustic looking.  I like a dark clean hickory look.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 04:43:13 PM by JenniferW »

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 08:15:56 PM »
Hard stop!

Currently have peel and stick tile (not planks) in the kitchen and two bathrooms on top of pre-1980s vinyl that almost certainly contains asbestos.  I put it in assuming that it wouldn't last more than a couple years, it was mostly just to cover some slightly terrifying 70s patterns as a stopgap measure until I had some time to research how to remove said asbestos.  Never quite got around to that part, and 10+ years down the line I've had to replace exactly two tiles that got ripped up when I replaced the refrigerator, and I still have people assuming they're 'real' tiles.  Obviously it's worth reading reviews, but I wouldn't just write it off peel and stick if you've found something you like.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »
We have a floating vinyl pergo in the bathrooms and kitchen. 7 years later it still looks good.  It’s waterproof.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 11:12:24 AM »
Hard stop!

I've been considering Lifeproof LVP.  Also looked into ceramic tile and wood like ceramic tile.  I pretty much looked into everything.  Seems as though the vinyl is the same on top of the LVP versus stick on, so why would I pay three times more just to have it floating?  Also replacing a messed up peel and stick is easy to fix.

Also, I don't really like any of the color offerings from life-proof or most manufacturers for that matter.  All are light and aged/rustic looking.  I like a dark clean hickory look.

Ok that is fair. I have to imagine there are other manufactures in other colors and brand names? But its the tongue and grove plus vinyl that makes its dang near invincible. I dont think there are any peal and stick that have tongue and groove. So as tight as you put them together they are never going to be waterproof. so water will get in the seams and eat away at the glue.

Solid sheet vinyl would also be a good choice. LVT is only a few bucks a square foot, I think this is not one of the situations to skimp on materials. But its your house YMMV.

LVT is a really good product that is ideal for your specific situation. I might even say it is a better product then tile.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »
Another +1 for LVP. No need to glue, easy to install, crazy durable. Completely removable. One caveat: it contours to the shape of the floor underneath it. If your floor is wavy, eventually your LVP will be, too. In small spaces, it probably won't matter, but in wide open stretches, it could. We're flipping a house that will sell for 1M+ and we're using a version that has a cork back. Nice!

Quick primer:

LVP = Luxury Vinyl Plank
LVT = Luxury Vinyl Tile

Same stuff, different shape/look.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 12:09:28 PM »
Peel and stick vinyl is synonymous with slumlords and low Income properties.  Or in other words, cheap.  I tear that out any chance I can with rentals and I wouldn’t consider it for my own home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »
Peel and stick vinyl is synonymous with slumlords and low Income properties.  Or in other words, cheap.  I tear that out any chance I can with rentals and I wouldn’t consider it for my own home.

I wouldn't normally want it either.  But these peel sticks look like real wood and are only 4" wide and like 3 feet long.   Gives appearance of realistic hard floors compared to wider LVP.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
Sounds like you have your mind made up. But a word of warning, in the link you posted the product itself does not even claim to be waterproof. You might be fine, or you might be replacing it the first time you drop a pitcher of water on it.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
Isn't vinyl inherently waterproof?   

Look at the texture of these vinyl plank peel stick.. look really good.. isn't like the old cheap vinyl fake looking peel stick which I would never put on my floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-1r78ktD_g

I dunno.. maybe I should just lay down ceramic.. I just worry about dropping something on it and cracking a tile or having another plumbing repair.. which destroyed my entire kitchen.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 05:15:42 PM »
So we bought 20 of these peel and stick, 4" wide wood planks, to try out -- 98 cents each.  Laid down 17 of them so far to get an idea of how it'd look.  I am really pleased with them.

I am laying them down with a random stagger.  The nice thing about these planks is I can cut them with my paper cutter, perfectly square; so this allows me to also vary the length here and there to make sure the stagger stays non-repeating.   Trying to make this look as close to a real hardwood floor as possible with the variable stagger/lengths.

What do you think?  Here's a couple photos.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 05:19:33 PM »
What's nice about these compared to a sheet is that I can make sure each piece of the floor is smooth as I go.  I don't have to make sure everything is perfect before laying down a 200 square foot sheet.  Also since it is dark wood, any dirt that will build up over time between the planks (although they are a tight fit), should not show.  I think these will last me.  I'll get an extra 50 or so for this 200 square foot kitchen, so I can replace many of them over the years.  Maybe in 5 years or so I can upgrade it to ceramic tile if I want to.. after I save up some more money.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 05:21:28 PM »
They have a really nice, realistic wood grain texture to them as well.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 11:03:50 AM »
Looks good to me.  If you are happy with that that's what matters.  Nice thing about peel-and-stick is that it doesn't take much labor to put them down, and it doesn't take much labor to pull them back up and replace them with something else if you decide down the road to re-do.  AS home reno-projects go it's pretty darn low risk, low cost.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 11:08:24 AM »
It’s a lot better looking that what I was thinking of which were those square tile things.

As for waterproof - you don’t have overlapping seems. So if water does get on the floor, sure the vinyl is “waterproof” but water will get down to your subfloor much quicker. 

And for the install for any finish flooring, typically they want you to have 1/2” gap off of anything permanently installed, like a wall. It looks like you have installed under your drywall up against your bottom plate, but I can’t tell for sure from the picture. You need to have a bit of room for expansion with temperature and moisture changes or you can risk cupping/bending even if it’s “glued” down.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
Yeah I left a gap.  Around 1/4".

Those 20 samples we got were loose ones and well most of them were darker, obviously they were picked through by previous customers who went for more lighter looking ones.  I find there is a better mix of lighter and darker ones in the boxes themselves.. I bought like 5 boxes (45 Luxury Vinyl Planks each). So I pulled up a few of those dark ones bunched together (shown in the photos above) and now it looks much better.  I'll share a photo when it is done.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 05:29:13 PM »
I was just in a hospital for a visit, and I thought of this thread. The hospital room and some of the hallways had the kind of flooring you are using. I have no doubt you'll treat your floor with more care than someone who's working (or staying) in a hospital, but seriously, be cautious. The flooring I saw looked new-ish, but already showed a LOT of wear, marks, etc., mostly from sliding stuff across it. Treat yours with care. :) 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
I already see a few scratches from the dogs playing on this small area I did.  Thinking about returning the 4 other boxes.. onlyl lost about 60 dollars in this experiment if I stop now.  I think ceramic is definitley the way to go.. and a light color tile so it doesn't show scratches and dirt as easily.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 11:49:18 PM »
Once again, I'm waving my hand and suggesting LVP. Much more durable. And hella easier than ceramic to install.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »
We have 4 dogs and 7 years later no scratches. It’s a pergo brand.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »
Well the scratch I was speaking off was more of a scuff.  Like it's just on the protective layer and you only see it from certain light angles.  But it really shows with the dark wood.  When I mopped it went away until it dried lol.  I wonder if there is some sort of sealant I couple mop on over these vinyl peel stick planks to seal the seams and keep the surface looking nice.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 11:06:32 PM »
Well the scratch I was speaking off was more of a scuff.  Like it's just on the protective layer and you only see it from certain light angles.  But it really shows with the dark wood.  When I mopped it went away until it dried lol.  I wonder if there is some sort of sealant I couple mop on over these vinyl peel stick planks to seal the seams and keep the surface looking nice.
No. There is not. That's why you want to go with a quality product in the first place.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »
I thought I was.. it seemed just as durable as the luxury vinyl planks which clicked together.  I am just going to go with ceramic. 

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
Whenever I see a room with peel and stick flooring, I subtract several thousand dollars from the asking price. It looks good for perhaps a year or two but then the luster goes out of the shine, the protective coat is well scratched at that point and dull, water has loosened the edges which are starting to curl up, etc.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »
Whenever I see a room with peel and stick flooring, I subtract several thousand dollars from the asking price. It looks good for perhaps a year or two but then the luster goes out of the shine, the protective coat is well scratched at that point and dull, water has loosened the edges which are starting to curl up, etc.

Agreed, just spend the extra couple hundred bucks to get LVP or water-resistant Laminate, especially for such a small space

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!