Author Topic: Kitchen faucet replacement  (Read 2246 times)

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Kitchen faucet replacement
« on: December 31, 2017, 07:52:26 AM »
Okie dokie... so I’m going to attempt to change my faucet myself and I have a few questions.

My faucet is a single mount (is that what it’s called?) where there’s only one unit above the counter top and there are hoses connecting the water under the counter. I am assuming I need the same style faucet due to counter top holes.

1. Could/should I just replace the end piece from another matching kit? The sprayer/nozzle is the handheld type that detaches. This is the part that is broken. It is broken internally and the piece that changes the water from flow to spray is jammed. Nothing will get that bugger fixed. 

2. What is better: a “good brand,” value, or a mix of brand and value?

3. When replacing, besides Teflon tape(?), do I need to do anything under the cabinets? Replace hoses or anything? I want to do it right but obviously not break the bank.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
Re: Kitchen faucet replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in, but in the meantime here's my 0.02 (as I've done some very minor plumbing jobs in the past):

1) If you can buy a replacement hose + end piece for your particular model, then that should do it for you.  You probably won't have much luck swapping in another model / brand, depending on the model you have.  You'll need to research your model and see if they sell the hose and end piece as a separate part.

2) I'd go with a mix of brand and value.  Moen is pretty good, so is Delta. Avoid Koehler.  YMMV - read some online reviews and go for simplicity.  We have a Koehler Elate that has a little button underneath to pause the flow and it kept getting stuck.  We swapped out two under warranty before finally figuring out that we shouldn't use that button at all unless we wanted to have at it with the needle-nosed pliers every so often.

3) You'll probably just have to replace the faucet if #1 above is not an option.  No need to replace the hoses or fittings unless they are leaking or corroded.

Finally, you can get a 3-hole replacement fixture but you would just have to drill two new holes.  Easy to do if you have laminate counters - less easy (more scary for DIY IMO) if you have granite or quartz.  Always easier to do two extra holes than to scale down from three holes to one, though I think you can buy a plate to cover the extra holes if you ever find yourself wanting to go from three holes to one.  That might depend on the fixture, though.

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
Cool. Thanks!

I have granite (no one judge me, they came with the place) so I’ll stay away from drilling holes.

aasdfadsf

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »
3. When replacing, besides Teflon tape(?), do I need to do anything under the cabinets? Replace hoses or anything? I want to do it right but obviously not break the bank.

As long as the valves work right and nothing is leaking, you don't need to replace anything else. But you should replace the supply hoses if they are old and/or showing signs of corrosion. New faucets sometimes come with new supply hoses, so you may as well use them. And new ones cost around $10 a piece, so it's not a big deal.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »
Make sure you check to see if your shut off valves work before starting the project.  They go bad fairly often and may need to be replaced. Also, check your supply lines to see how they are attached. Most of them are 3/8 braided lines that will only need to be compression fit on the shut off.

I exclusively use moen. They are phenomenal about replacement parts for future repairs, which I do a fair amount for rental properties.

But for you - if it is currently a moen, call and get the replacement part. They may get it to you for free. Otherwise, if you like the faucet, call the manufacturer and see if they can provide any replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
1) If you can buy a replacement hose + end piece for your particular model, then that should do it for you.  You probably won't have much luck swapping in another model / brand, depending on the model you have.  You'll need to research your model and see if they sell the hose and end piece as a separate part.

I found a no-name replacement head that looks and measures identical on Amazon. I am going to give it a try since it is less than $20.  :)

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 12:27:44 PM »

I found a no-name replacement head that looks and measures identical on Amazon. I am going to give it a try since it is less than $20.  :)

Good luck!  I hope it, and the fittings/threads, are a match.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!